Owners Thread - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U

JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
All about the original single-CCD HDV camcorders from JVC.

Old July 7th, 2003, 04:47 PM   #46
MPS Digital Studios

<<<-- Originally posted by Craig Jones : Yes, that's how it works for me. Heath said you hold down the exposure wheel until you see an "L". I never see an "L". I get the "+/- 0" which indicates exposure lock but that's it. I'm curious now if there are functional differences between the HD1 and HD10. -->>>

You adjust the +/- 0, then hold the Exposure button/wheel down for a couple of seconds until the L shows up next to the +/- 0. That locks it.

heath
Old July 7th, 2003, 04:49 PM   #47
MPS Digital Studios

<<<-- Originally posted by Joe Russ : yah, i have the hd1 and you can do the same thing, but you do lose control of shutter (which is still auto), and shutter is most important to me as well. you just press the exposure button so that the +0/-0 whatever appears on the left, and once its where you like, you hold in the exposure dial for a second or so and the L appears, but, the exposure is locked but the shutter speed is free to do whatever it pleases.....not good at all. -->>>

That wasn't happening to me on the HD10 after I locked it...I'll do more tests tonight to make sure. Sorry I can't get any clips up...

heath
Old July 7th, 2003, 05:12 PM   #48
Regular Crew

yer saying on the hd10 the shutter speed can be set AND the exposure? cos on mine when i set the exposure the aperature or the shutter (whichever you had set before) flashes for a second and then disapears....and then its right back to whatever shutter speed it chooses on the fly
Old July 7th, 2003, 05:25 PM   #49
Regular Crew

joe,

no you cannot select the shutter speed and the aperature at the same time. You can however, lock both of them in the positions they were by using the exposure lock.

As I noticed that both 1/30th and 1/60th are relatively "sticky" in that if you select either, they tend to stay there while the AE cycles throught the fstops, I belive that once you get ur desired settings (after u selected either 1/30th or 1/60th, use steve's method of pushing S/A repeatedly while adjusting lighting ), then you can lock both the shutter speed and fstop in that setting. refer to previous posts for more detail.

If you want higher shutter speeds, you can use the sports setting while adjusting and locking exposure.

A kind of tedious fix, but I believe all will be well.
Old July 7th, 2003, 05:37 PM   #50
Regular Crew

This is getting more interesting. I've verified that the HD1 does show the L as Heath describes. My understanding was that the +/-0 indicator locked the exposure but I guess not.

Pressing the exposure contol enables it, up and down adjusts it, and L actual does (locks) it. Is that accurate?
Old July 7th, 2003, 05:48 PM   #51
Regular Crew

ya craig, otherwise the +/- just biases over or under exposure within the AE.

you know, i've had the hardest time getting the AE to increase the shutter higher than 1/60. Doesn't really happen short of pointing the camera near the sun. I suppose if you put an 8x ND filter on this camera, you'd be pretty much assured of staying between 1/30th and 1/60th all the time.

anyone have any different experiences?
Old July 7th, 2003, 06:08 PM   #52
MPS Digital Studios

<<<-- Originally posted by Craig Jones : This is getting more interesting. I've verified that the HD1 does show the L as Heath describes. My understanding was that the +/-0 indicator locked the exposure but I guess not.

Pressing the exposure contol enables it, up and down adjusts it, and L actual does (locks) it. Is that accurate? -->>>

Yes, push the Exposure thing, adjust the image up or down, then hold the exposure thing (button, wheel, whatever) until it locks. I've done tests outside in the sun and it didn't move, both the Shutter and the Aperature.

Ken Freed of JVC told me to forget the S/A button. I trust him, he told me to use a PD-150 to shoot my buddy's wedding instead of the DV mode on the HD10.

heath
Old July 7th, 2003, 06:09 PM   #53
MPS Digital Studios

ND FILTERS NEEDED!

Thanx for the reminder, Michael, but I forgot to mention another thing Ken Freed said:

Buy ND filters!

heath
Old July 7th, 2003, 06:16 PM   #54
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Michael Hyun : ya craig, otherwise the +/- just biases over or under exposure within the AE.

you know, i've had the hardest time getting the AE to increase the shutter higher than 1/60. Doesn't really happen short of pointing the camera near the sun. I suppose if you put an 8x ND filter on this camera, you'd be pretty much assured of staying between 1/30th and 1/60th all the time.

anyone have any different experiences? -->>>

Today is overcast for me and I can't do it without pointing it into the sun. On a bright, clear day it seems easier to do. Still, it likes 1/30 and 1/60.
Old July 7th, 2003, 06:25 PM   #55
MPS Digital Studios

Craig and Michael,

Are you both using HD1s? I'm curious, because Steve owns an HD1 and has an HD10 (for review) and says the 1/30 and 1/60 thing on the HD1 doesn't apply to the HD10 (see an earlier post on this thread for Steve's details). I wonder if locking the shutter doesn't work as well on the HD1.

heath
Old July 7th, 2003, 06:30 PM   #56
Regular Crew

Mine is an HD1.
Old July 7th, 2003, 06:34 PM   #57
Regular Crew

i would say it doesnt....because i can lock the exposure on mine and then the shutter will revert back to 1/30.....this may be fine for some, but i find 1/30 too blurry, i dont know why they didn't make 1/60 the default, thats more appropriate.......i guess they wanted to use the setting that let in more light....its just ruining the usefulness of the camera for me....oh well, controlling lighting now instead....luckily im using this for downconverting to anamorphic dvd resolution, not hd.

heres a color grad'd still shot from a short im doing for video class:

http://www.letterstoyou.com/still003.jpg
Old July 7th, 2003, 06:39 PM   #58
Regular Crew

I also have an HD1,

heath, you can test ur HD10 too. select 1/30th and then cycle through pushing s/a repeatedly while pointing ur camera towards and away from the light. then select 1/60th and repeat. select 1/100th and repeat. does ur shutter change as ur light changes or do u cycle through fstops?

on mine and craig's HD1, the shutter tends to stay at 1/30th and 1/60th and moves down from 1/100th to 1/60th when the light decreases.

I believe the locking the shutter would be the same on both cameras.
Old July 7th, 2003, 06:40 PM   #59
MPS Digital Studios

Hmmmm, I'll see if my HD10 does that, too (re-adjusts to another shutter speed).

heath
Old July 7th, 2003, 06:41 PM   #60
MPS Digital Studios

<<<-- Originally posted by Michael Hyun : I also have an HD1,

heath, you can test ur HD10 too. select 1/30th and then cycle through pushing s/a repeatedly while pointing ur camera towards and away from the light. then select 1/60th and repeat. select 1/100th and repeat. does ur shutter change as ur light changes or do u cycle through fstops?

on mine and craig's HD1, the shutter tends to stay at 1/30th and 1/60th and moves down from 1/100th to 1/60th when the light decreases.

I believe the locking the shutter would be the same on both cameras. -->>>

I'll give it a shot, but don't forget, Ken Freed said avoid the S/A button and go for the exposure wheel. He also said ND filters are a must, as most of my friends have been suggesting.

heath

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U