Compared HD1 & HD10 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
All about the original single-CCD HDV camcorders from JVC.

Old July 9th, 2003, 01:38 PM   #1
Major Player

Compared HD1 & HD10

Hello Everyone - although this is my first post, I've been reading for some time. Industrial Video here in the Cleveland area had both cameras, and I played with both. There seems to be some confusion on some issues. Here's what I've found so far.

First, The detail enhancement is definitely different. In my view, the HD10 is much better - not overdone. I like to use the viewfinder, so I really appreciate the better resolution there. Evaluated the pics on a 52" Panasonic plasma.

When holding in the exposure control (by the lens), it appears to lock exposure (not iris as stated in the manual). So there is a fully manual control of exposure - just not separate iris and shutter speed. If we could just set S/A priority (near viewfinder), THEN set and lock exposure, life would be great.

I became a true believer, and walked out thedoor with the
HD10 in hand. Most things have worked as expected, but can't get capture to work. DV is OK, but in MPEG mode, device manager just shows "AV/C Subunit" with the notorious yellow question mark, and tells me it can't find a driver. I can't find one either! Haven't heard from JVC or Pixela yet either. Any ideas out there?

Again, Hello to all, and many thanks for all the help - Dave
Old July 9th, 2003, 02:21 PM   #2
Regular Crew

heh,

i actually like the low res viewfinder of the HD1...

rather than an accurate image, you can focus on the subject and stop when you get a pixelated stair step edge.

i found it to be right on focus at that point.

I find it akin to my Leica M6 rangefinder focus mechanism- just line up the lines. not perfect mind you, but functional and useful.
Old July 9th, 2003, 07:30 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Re: Compared HD1 & HD10

Dave,

If you are using Windows XP, it already includes a driver for the JVC (it was originally intended for the DVHS decks, but the protocol is the same so it also works with the HD1/HD10). You just have to install it manually.
The instructions for installing it can be found in the "Software Installation and USB/iLink Connection Guide" pamphlet that came packed with your unit's user manual. Look for the part titled "Driver Installation." If you can't find the pamphlet, you can download it from JVC's website:
http://www.jvc.com/promotions/grhd1/pdf/GR-HD1_SoftwareInstallation.pdf
The following link also gives a similar procedure for installing the JVC DVHS and includes pictures so it may help to refer to it as well:
http://www.webtc.com/DVHS/default.htm

Hope this helps,
Bob

<<<-- Originally posted by David Kennett :
DV is OK, but in MPEG mode, device manager just shows "AV/C Subunit" with the notorious yellow question mark, and tells me it can't find a driver. I can't find one either! Haven't heard from JVC or Pixela yet either. Any ideas out there?

Again, Hello to all, and many thanks for all the help - Dave -->>>
Old July 9th, 2003, 08:36 PM   #4
MPS Digital Studios

Ken Freed says the shutter is still on auto even when the exposure is locked (though I didn't see the shutter moving when it was locked). He suggests controlling the light (so much for walking around) and using ND filters. His recommendations when he emails me back.

heatho
Old July 9th, 2003, 09:19 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Re: Re: Compared HD1 & HD10

<<<-- Originally posted by Bob England : Dave,

If you are using Windows XP, it already includes a driver for the JVC (it was originally intended for the DVHS decks, but the protocol is the same so it also works with the HD1/HD10). You just have to install it manually.
The instructions for installing it can be found in the "Software Installation and USB/iLink Connection Guide" pamphlet that came packed with your unit's user manual. Look for the part titled "Driver Installation." If you can't find the pamphlet, you can download it from JVC's website:
http://www.jvc.com/promotions/grhd1/pdf/GR-HD1_SoftwareInstallation.pdf
The following link also gives a similar procedure for installing the JVC DVHS and includes pictures so it may help to refer to it as well:
http://www.webtc.com/DVHS/default.htm

Hope this helps,
Bob

-->>>

Bob's right. Been there myself.
Old July 10th, 2003, 02:18 PM   #6
Major Player

Thanks Bob & Craig - that did it! I had even looked through that sheet a second time and didn't see it. I try to read the manuals - really!

Dave

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U