More on the HD10... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
All about the original single-CCD HDV camcorders from JVC.

Old July 9th, 2003, 01:50 PM   #1
MPS Digital Studios

More on the HD10...

I've heard from very professional people that I should return the HD10 because of the ghsoting image. Still others seem to like it.

I figured out if you set the shutter to 1/60 and the F-stop to whatever is right, then hit the exposure wheel/button and adjust that (if needed), then hold it down to lock.

At first, I hit the S/A button while it's locked and the shutter/aperature was moving (the "L" disappeared after 5 seconds), which led me to assume it really WASN'T locking...

So I tried it all again and locked it and DID NOT hit the S/A button. I panned and tilted the camera all over the place, light, dark, normal, etc. The image didn't change.

So, I concluded that hitting the S/A button unlocks the exposure (even if the "L" is on screen for another 5 seconds or so).

All right, now that I figured that out, what in the world is up with the ghosting? I still haven't done any real tests (and my camera was automatically going to 1/30), but that's the final thing making me want to indeed get rid of this camera.

Here's my problem: I can only buy one camera which I will use for 3 years or so, and I want the best quality (HD). If I buy, say, a DVX100, then I'm stuck with it for three years (unless I start making serious cash in life, which I'm not totally counting on).

If anyone can help, please let me know! Ghost effects, etc.

heath
Old July 9th, 2003, 02:09 PM   #2
Regular Crew

heath,

do what you want. you cant really ask a question of value to so many willing to voice an opinion when they have never seen the camera.

you've had the camera for a while so ask yourself, do you find the image acceptable for your needs?

we've determined that the double image illusion may be a playback issue and not in the source file (isn't viewable in a frame by frame insteption of the footage). so on future playback devices, the flickering may not be as evident. but this very well might not be the case either.

anyways, ask yourself this. would you be more happy with the DVX100's DV picture for the next three years, when you've already tasted what HD can do?

as you already have an XL1, which many here pine for, maybe you should just wait a couple years for a second generation HD device, when all of these questions we are having are sorted out.

in the meantime, i'll be enjoying my HD1 and archiving alot of footage in HDV which would have been only DV otherwise.

it's your choice, not anyone else's to make.
Old July 9th, 2003, 02:12 PM   #3
MPS Digital Studios

You're right, Michael...I don't have the XL-1 anymore (sold it to help buy the HD10). I think I'm gonna keep it...Upon a frame-by-frame look, you're right, it isn't the camera. Might actually BE our eyes.

Thanks,

heath
Old July 9th, 2003, 02:17 PM   #4
New Boot

:::::clapping for Heath, assuming this is the last time he'll decide to keep the camera:::: Congratulations!

If you change your mind, however, I might be willing to buy it. If not, where can you buy the HD10? I only see HD1s on all the websites....

- Marla
Old July 9th, 2003, 02:36 PM   #5
Regular Crew

marla,
b&h sells the hd10u.

bhphoto.com

cbianco
Old July 9th, 2003, 02:40 PM   #6
MPS Digital Studios

<<<-- Originally posted by Marla Mathias : :::::clapping for Heath, assuming this is the last time he'll decide to keep the camera:::: Congratulations!

If you change your mind, however, I might be willing to buy it. If not, where can you buy the HD10? I only see HD1s on all the websites....

- Marla -->>>

I think this will be the last time I decide...

Nuts, I just found out my friend decided NOT to call me to shoot on Lollapalooza because of the HD10...

That's a lot of money and contacts down the drain. STUPID CAMERA!

Okay, it ain't the camera really, my friend had NO idea it could should DV...Also, we was worried I'd be fired from my steady gig for a 6 week job. (Of course in that six weeks, I'd make as much as I do in 5 months...stupid TV news...)

Well, time to go be depressed for a while.

heath
Old July 9th, 2003, 02:46 PM   #7
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Heath McKnight : You're right, Michael...I don't have the XL-1 anymore (sold it to help buy the HD10). I think I'm gonna keep it...Upon a frame-by-frame look, you're right, it isn't the camera. Might actually BE our eyes.

Thanks,

heath -->>>

I think people who are seeing the ghosting must be getting it from software players or other intermediate sources. Running the HD1 I demoed out to the 720p native Samsung, there was no ghosting. Some strobing when playing with different shutter speeds, but 1/30 and 1/60 looked good. I did need a 30p (and hopefully 24p) capable camcorder with an available underwater housing and other options and so I bought the DVX100 and haven't regretted it. As hashed over in a few other threads, it still produces better color and has greater control than the HD1/10 units. But there's no denying the HD1/10's resolution and the video can be awesome if you can keep the unit under control in your shooting conditions.

During my demo, I still had lots of artifacting wth heavy motion scenes and a few other motion issues on contrast areas. But it's hard to complain about such things from a $3K camcorder when I see the exact same artifacting on occasion from broadcast HD. In my original review, I slammed the camera's design and manual control. I still stand by that assessment. But I also said that I was able to get a few clips that looked as good as broadcast HD and that's true as well. I spent less than 10 hours actually playing with the camera and was already getting some pretty impressive results from it.

I'm still highly conflicted about this camera... And while I do want an HD capable unit now, I don't need one. I'm still going to hold off and see what Sony, Canon and Panasonic come up with. I bet that by this time next year, JVC will have the HD2 and the others will have an offering as well.

On the other hand, I'm still tempted to buy an HD10 just for fun... And then I realize that $3K camcorders don't fit well into the "fun" budget category, at least not for me.
Old July 9th, 2003, 03:00 PM   #8
Regular Crew

"I'm still highly conflicted about this camera... And while I do want an HD capable unit now, I don't need one."

heh, i don't think anyone here that owns the jvc actually really NEEDS it. with such new technology, rarely are there made to order applications for products like the jvc, that require you to have one.

what it does give you is the opportunity to find and craft uses for it.
Old July 9th, 2003, 03:05 PM   #9
MPS Digital Studios

<<<-- Originally posted by Michael Hyun : "I'm still highly conflicted about this camera... And while I do want an HD capable unit now, I don't need one."

heh, i don't think anyone here that owns the jvc actually really NEEDS it. with such new technology, rarely are there made to order applications for products like the jvc, that require you to have one.

what it does give you is the opportunity to find and craft uses for it. -->>>

I have some uses for it, just need to figure out the editing on FCP part of it.

heath
Old July 9th, 2003, 03:52 PM   #10
Regular Crew

sry heath,

i should probably restate my position.

of course we all have uses for it. and professionals who bought the unit already have ideas on how they might profit from the relationship.

i was merely trying to state that it is us who bought the JVC, that have the opportunity to develop new ways to utilize the technology- hopefully in a manner in which people will realize that they in fact do NEED HDV to stay competititve in the future.

is DV dead yet? no, but definitely on its last legs. it's not a matter of if, but when.
Old July 9th, 2003, 04:03 PM   #11
MPS Digital Studios

<<<-- Originally posted by Michael Hyun : is DV dead yet? no, but definitely on its last legs. it's not a matter of if, but when. -->>>

Much like Hi-8 and most analog. (Though I work for a lot of companies that still use BetaSP.)

heath

ps-Wish I got that Lollapalooza job...oh, well...Radiohead, anyone?
Old July 9th, 2003, 04:51 PM   #12
HDV Cinema

<<<-- I think people who are seeing the ghosting must be getting it from software players or other intermediate sources. -->>>

Sorry, but the double image is very clear on the $4000 720p60 monitor JVC loaned me. You'll see it on any rapidly moving subject.

The reason you think its not there at 1/30th is a moving object is so blurred the double image appears as one wide object.

What you call "strobing" at higher shutter-speeds IS the double image becoming more and more distinct.

The place you won't see it is on computer playback because it is not recorded.
Old July 9th, 2003, 05:28 PM   #13
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Steve, there is not "real" double image just as there is no spoon. :) It is in you head (and others.) Yes 30p is slower than what the human eye expects for smooth motion. 24p is 20% worse than 30p, so it suffers from motion aliasing (more accurate term than strobing or double image). The reason you often don't notice this in film (24p) is that the shots are taken with this knownledge in mind. This motion aliasing is still clear in all but the slowest film pans. You might not like the 30p look for everyday shooting, but I believe it is not the fault of any JVC component or display device. If you shoot like you are shooting film, everything looks great. I suggest you burrow a 24p camera to observe the same (if not worse) motion aliasing.
Old July 9th, 2003, 06:05 PM   #14
MPS Digital Studios

<<<-- Originally posted by David Newman : Steve, there is not "real" double image just as there is no spoon. :) It is in you head (and others.) Yes 30p is slower than what the human eye expects for smooth motion. 24p is 20% worse than 30p, so it suffers from motion aliasing (more accurate term than strobing or double image). The reason you often don't notice this in film (24p) is that the shots are taken with this knownledge in mind. This motion aliasing is still clear in all but the slowest film pans. You might not like the 30p look for everyday shooting, but I believe it is not the fault of any JVC component or display device. If you shoot like you are shooting film, everything looks great. I suggest you burrow a 24p camera to observe the same (if not worse) motion aliasing. -->>>

This may sound like BS, but sometimes, when I'm watching a movie in a theatre, I start noticing something I can only describe as "waves" in the images. I think I have problems with it...

heath
Old July 9th, 2003, 06:25 PM   #15
Regular Crew

David==>"so it suffers from motion aliasing (more accurate term than strobing or double image)."

*****APPLAUSE*****

thanks for this info. defining and catagorizing the 30p phenomenon is exactly what we needed.

thanks.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U