Audio Problems Anyone? - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
All about the original single-CCD HDV camcorders from JVC.

Old June 6th, 2004, 11:43 PM   #46
Major Player

I now hear no difference between the sound on the JY-HD1OU and my much more expensive Ikegami ENG camera, using the same Lav's that is. So I think it would compare favorably with any prosumer cam sound.

Paul
Old June 8th, 2004, 02:45 AM   #47
Major Player

The Audio is unbalanced, right? How would I go about making the audio balanced? Would I need something like a MixPre?
Old June 8th, 2004, 11:30 AM   #48
Regular Crew

Glenn -

Thats's a really good question. I would think it would only cost a few dollars for the circuit to make the audio balanced. I can't figure out for the life of me why the didn't make it balanced.

In a book called Producing Great Sound for Digital Video the author includes schematics for building your own circuit using radio shack components. I wonder if the circuit would fit inside the little XLR box they give you with the HD10.

Any comments?
Old June 8th, 2004, 11:41 AM   #49
MPS Digital Studios

A friend of mine who did audio for Spike Lee explained me the whole balanced into unbalanced. Of course, I forget, so I'll ask him again.

As to why JVC did that, it's probably just a matter of costs.

heath
Old June 8th, 2004, 11:55 AM   #50
Regular Crew

The last page of this month's DV Magazine has a detailed explanation. The way I understand it, in it's simplest form is this:

In a balance ciruit, the audio comes across two wires 180 degrees out of phase (negative and positive voltage). Think of two waves that are mirrors of eachother. Electrical noise on wire would appear as a spike on these two waves. A balanced circuit ignores these spikes, since the circuit can only 'see' the current on the wire if there are both a postive and matching negative signal.

To create a balanced circuit all one would need to add is a small transformer of sometype to filter out the noise. This type of ciruit was orginally invented by the phone company a long time ago.

My electrical engineering terminology is a little rusty - so please forgive me. I hope this helps.
Old June 8th, 2004, 09:48 PM   #51
MPS Digital Studios

I understand it's three wires providing a balance. The third one provides a back-up, much like how most power sockets have three instead of two prongs.

hwm
Old June 8th, 2004, 11:45 PM   #52
Regular Crew

I thought the third wire was a ground wire -- all properly engineered circuits should have a ground, but I could be mistaken in this case.
Old June 9th, 2004, 10:29 AM   #53
MPS Digital Studios

Yeah, you're right! D'oh! on my part...

hwm

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U