DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gr-hd1u-jy-hd10u/)
-   -   GR-HD1 Dub to D-VHS Question (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gr-hd1u-jy-hd10u/12229-gr-hd1-dub-d-vhs-question.html)

David C. Scott July 19th, 2003 01:05 PM

GR-HD1 Dub to D-VHS Question

I've got a brand new GR-HD1 and HM-DH30000U DVHS recorder. I'm trying to make a lossless high def 16:9 dub from the camcorder to the deck, via "i.LINK" (firewire) connection. So far, I've not gotten anything playable. The deck is, in fact, recording something - the display of the DVHS recording on the camcorder screen is choppy and pixelated. But the signal will not lock up on my Pioneer 16:9 monitor. Has anyone done this and, if so, what are the settings on both the camcorder and DVHS deck? (Interestingly, my DVHS deck defaults to "STD" - rather than HD - when it senses the Firewire cable. I've been through both manuals many times but am stumped. What am I doing wrong?

David Kennett July 19th, 2003 04:13 PM

Just a thought - is the ilink switch on the camcorder in the MPEG2 position - not DV.

Dave

David C. Scott July 19th, 2003 07:50 PM

Yes, I'm switched to MPEG. I think it may have something to do with my Pioneer 750HD. The manual makes no mention of 720p so if the JVC DVHS deck is outputting the 720p that the camcorder recorded, perhaps it needs converting to 1080i, which the Pioneer can handle. Unfortunately, it appears I need the DVHS remote to access the menu where this conversion is an option - and my retailer neglected to include the remote when I left the store. It's being sent to me. In the meantime, I can't figure out why I easily can play my 720p HD 16:9 tapes to the Pioneer via the GR-HD1. Is it somehow automatically converting the 720p to 1080i? And, if so, how does it know to do that?

Steve Mullen July 20th, 2003 12:15 AM

the camcorder does as you expect -- 720p30 to 1080i. Set via menu.

the DEFAULT for the DVHS should be to convert 720p to 1080i. set via menu.

David C. Scott July 20th, 2003 10:22 AM

Thanks very much for the reply. Interestingly, the camcorder currently is set to "No Conversion". Yet HD footage played on it via the IEEE 1394 connector - but THROUGH the IEEE 1394 connector of the DVHS - play fine on the Pioneer 720HD which, according to the manual, accepts 480p and 1080i, but not 720p. Yet the dub I make played through the DVHS won't lock up on the Pioneer. My confusion is: Why does the 720p original play through the DVHS fine but the dub does not? Seems both would be identical and since the material is traveling the same IEEE 1394 connector path to the Pioneer, both should play the same. (I'm running the IEEE 1394 output of the camcorder through the DVHS deck to avoid constantly switching component cables at the back of the Pioneer. And, incidentally, DTheater tapes which I understand output at 1080i play fine on the Pioneer. Could it be that the 720p signal on the camcorder tape played THROUGH the DVHS somehow doesn't get converted to 1080p because of the DVHS? Maybe the mystery will be solved when I get the remote and can see where this particular DVHS deck is set.