How do you dub DV to HD (mpeg2) then to DVD? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U

JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
All about the original single-CCD HDV camcorders from JVC.

Old July 22nd, 2003, 11:33 PM   #1
MPS Digital Studios

How do you dub DV to HD (mpeg2) then to DVD?

I asked this earlier, but I forgot to add the DVD portion, sorry.

I want to be cool and remaster my DV film (shot on an XL-1) onto HD/mpeg2 via my HD10. How do I do that? Do I need any extra hardware?

Also, what do I do to then put it to DVD? I know some of you out there have been making DVDs from HD10 content.

HELP!

THANKS and look for my audio tests post soon. Steve Mullen had me run some tests that surprised me so much, I'm taking back a mixer I bought!

heath
Old July 22nd, 2003, 11:54 PM   #2
Trustee

Do you mean you want to make a High Definition DVD by upconverting your DV footage or simply take your existing DV footage and make a standard def. 480-line DVD from it?

If it's the latter, there's no reason to use the HD10 so I'm assuming you mean the former. In that case, there's really no standard for HD-DVD yet so your best bet would be to encode to Windows Media Player 9 format and save it to a DVD-ROM.

If you are talking about making a standard DVD, you're much better off just using DVD authoring software to put your DV footage onto DVD. You don't want to convert your footage to MPEG_TS and then back to MPEG-2 to put on DVD - that's too much hassle.
Old July 23rd, 2003, 12:03 AM   #3
MPS Digital Studios

<<<-- Originally posted by Peter Moore : Do you mean you want to make a High Definition DVD by upconverting your DV footage or simply take your existing DV footage and make a standard def. 480-line DVD from it?

If it's the latter, there's no reason to use the HD10 so I'm assuming you mean the former. In that case, there's really no standard for HD-DVD yet so your best bet would be to encode to Windows Media Player 9 format and save it to a DVD-ROM.

If you are talking about making a standard DVD, you're much better off just using DVD authoring software to put your DV footage onto DVD. You don't want to convert your footage to MPEG_TS and then back to MPEG-2 to put on DVD - that's too much hassle. -->>>

Yeah, you're right, but the whole "Remastered on High Definition" just sounds cool.

But, let's say I want to make a regular DVD, but also save it on HD. Of course, I will eventually buy a DVHS deck (I'm outta cash now), but in the meantime, how do I up-convert to HD via the HD10?

THANKS!

heath
Old July 23rd, 2003, 02:34 PM   #4
Trustee

I gotcha. Well I can't help as far as using the camera goes, but to go your route I think, again, the easier thing to do would be to use Vegas or something like that to remaster your material to HD. I am sure it would do a better job than the camera. The camera, if anything, would have to take your DV footage, resample it, then compress it to its MPEG-format (DV is way better quality). If you just load your DV footage onto your computer, and use Vegas, you'll get very very good quality - I've tried it and it looks very good.

Of course if you can't get something like Vegas then I guess the camera's your only option. Sorry I can't help you there.
Old July 23rd, 2003, 02:42 PM   #5
MPS Digital Studios

<<<-- Originally posted by Peter Moore : I gotcha. Well I can't help as far as using the camera goes, but to go your route I think, again, the easier thing to do would be to use Vegas or something like that to remaster your material to HD. I am sure it would do a better job than the camera. The camera, if anything, would have to take your DV footage, resample it, then compress it to its MPEG-format (DV is way better quality). If you just load your DV footage onto your computer, and use Vegas, you'll get very very good quality - I've tried it and it looks very good.

Of course if you can't get something like Vegas then I guess the camera's your only option. Sorry I can't help you there. -->>>

So I should just stay with DV then? Okay. Can I dub it to DVHS with this technique?

heath
Old July 23rd, 2003, 05:01 PM   #6
Trustee

I meant the DV compression algorithm results in higher quality video than the MPEG_TS used by the HD10.

If you want HD, resample your DV using Vegas, and render it as MainConcept MPEG-2 720-30p (15 mbps). Eventually you'll be able to dub to D-VHS via firewire, I'm sure. There's got to be software available eventually to allow you to do this. I just don't know of any right now.
Old July 23rd, 2003, 05:50 PM   #7
MPS Digital Studios

<<<-- Originally posted by Peter Moore : I meant the DV compression algorithm results in higher quality video than the MPEG_TS used by the HD10.

If you want HD, resample your DV using Vegas, and render it as MainConcept MPEG-2 720-30p (15 mbps). Eventually you'll be able to dub to D-VHS via firewire, I'm sure. There's got to be software available eventually to allow you to do this. I just don't know of any right now. -->>>

Thanks. Do you have a link to the Vegas site?

heath
Old July 23rd, 2003, 09:55 PM   #8
Trustee

Sure:

http://www.sonicfoundry.com/products/vegasfamily.asp

It is a bit pricey but way less than Final Cut Pro and you get more bang for the buck than any other NLE, IMHO. I'd recommend the Vegas+DVD package as it includes the MainConcept MPEG2 encoder and Dolby 5.1 AC-3 encoding.
Old July 25th, 2003, 08:48 AM   #9
RED Code Chef

Why would you want to upconvert to a non-existent HD standard.
Your quality will not increase since it is not there to begin with and
it is highly unlikely whatever format you'll choose will be compatible.

I'd just store the original DV stream on a DVD-data disc (if it is
under 13 minutes) and/or a DV tape. Keep it safe. Then output
to a DVD-Video (MPEG2) disc as well to view it. If you have a good
progressive scan DVD player with HD screen it will upconvert your
DVD disc on the fly.

When the world is all HD and we have a standard you can then
convert your DV to HD if you want from the DVD-Data disc or tape.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U