Crazy B&H Salesman at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U

JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
All about the original single-CCD HDV camcorders from JVC.

Old July 24th, 2003, 08:52 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Crazy B&H Salesman

This is really not that big of a deal, but I just wanted to pass along the message so no one gets an extra $100 tacked onto their order.

I bought my HD10u today, and when I called to place the order at B&H the salesman warned me that the camera does not include a battery. I thought that there was no way that this could be true, but he assured me that he checked both his website and the JVC site and that the battery was sold seperate. Frantically I checked the JVC site and noticed that the only mention of a battery was on the accessory page and that it had a $100 price tag, so I began to believe the salesman.

Well, to make a long story short, there was a temporary problem with my credit card which delayed the order, and allowed me the time to further investigate. I downloaded the manual and found the page of included accessories and there it was, battery, charger, everything that should come with a new camera. So when I called back to place the order I was able to remove the extra battery.

Again, this is really not that big a deal. I could probably have used the extra battery. Who knows I might end up having to order one in the future, and it is only $100 not $1000, but the bottom line is I just don't like the idea of being misled by the salesman.
Old July 24th, 2003, 09:36 AM   #2
Regular Crew

brad,

some b&h salesmen can be rather curt (aka: "urban". ha), but they are a reputable outfit. their prices are good and they ship promptly.

i'm pretty sure their website lists all the accessories that come in a given camera package, so i would definitely recommend that anyone planning to buy from them check out the site before calling. their site is well organized, search-friendly, uncluttered and the info loads fast enough.

but in any case, the problem of getting accurate info that you initially faced isnt all that rare when it comes to dealing with salespeople. i have found that calling back a two or three times and re-asking the same question until you get someone who is patient and/or lucid is helpful. your first call may have been a trainee.

my 2 cents.
Old July 24th, 2003, 09:39 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Got mine yeasterday from B&H and it indeed included a battery.
Old July 24th, 2003, 12:58 PM   #4
Slash Rules!

I prefer the word "surly"
Old July 24th, 2003, 07:44 PM   #5
JVC Regional Sales Engineer

Interesting

Could be just a mistake. I haven't been over there for product training yet and it is interesting that I just did have an assessory discussion with them.

I'll mention this thread to them. I know their reputation is important to them. Maybe they thought as a pro piece it doesn't include a battery but as you know, the handhelds always have a battery.

It is a good idea to have 2 or three batteries. They run down faster than they charge back up.
kfreed@jvc.com
Old July 24th, 2003, 08:55 PM   #6
MPS Digital Studios

B&H has told me a camera light can hook up into my camera. Nope, needed a light battery.

They said I didn't need a nut for my boom. Nope, needed it.

And more...

I don't like B&H, they're a box house and I've bought very little to nothing from them in a long time.

Although I will say this, my seller didn't think the HD10 came with an A-C adaptor, and was going to order one for $140. When I picked up the camera, there it was!

heath
Old July 25th, 2003, 11:06 PM   #7
Rextilleon

I have to agree with some of the comments vis a vis B&H's sales staff. I have found it to be hit or miss when ordering on the phone or going into the store. Having said that, there 30 day return policy is what keeps me going back for more.
Old July 26th, 2003, 08:12 AM   #8
Regular Crew

FYI:
7 days for Video, Audio, and Digital Equipment.
14 days for photo equipment.
Old July 26th, 2003, 08:33 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Digital Mega Store

Digital Mega Store has good prices and they ship the product ontime.

but...

The guy argued with me when I bought my Panasonic DVX100. He said you can only charge the battery on the camera, there for I would need another charger. I knew EVERYTHING about this camcorder. And I knew it came with a charger. He said "this one doesn't come with one". I knew it was a sales thing right off the batt.

Anyway, the camcorder DID come with a charger - Duh!

If this happens to you, call the prick back after you get your equipment and say "I got my camcorder today thank you. Just wanted to let you know it DID come with a charger". Then hang up. This is if you want to get it back or just to have some fun. But I don't think they care either way.
www.riverlightstudios.com
DVX100/Final Cut Pro 4/Mac G5 Dual 1.8
Old July 26th, 2003, 10:38 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Re: Digital Mega Store

<<<-- Originally posted by Mark Monciardini : Then hang up. This is if you want to get it back or just to have some fun. -->>>

good to see we are all mature people and not sinking to the level of the scum on the other end of the line................
Old July 29th, 2003, 07:28 AM   #11
sponsor: B&H Photo-Video

B&H Salesmen

I am sorry our salesman was misinformed. The information we provide to him (and post on our web site) is either what the manufacturer supplies to us or what we learn from inspection. In this case, it was the former. We certainly regret the error.

None of our guys gets commission, nor do we run any kind of sales-driven contests which would encourage a sales asociate to pad an order. Their job is to insure that when you get your stuff you get everything you want and need.

Hope this helps.
Old July 29th, 2003, 07:53 AM   #12
Trustee

The above post is why I personally love BHPhoto. Not having commission-based sales folks makes for a MUCH better environment for consumers.
Old July 31st, 2003, 06:26 PM   #13
Go Cycle

Re: Interesting

<<<-- Originally posted by Ken Freed JVC : Could be just a mistake. I haven't been over there for product training yet and it is interesting that I just did have an assessory discussion with them.

I'll mention this thread to them. I know their reputation is important to them. Maybe they thought as a pro piece it doesn't include a battery but as you know, the handhelds always have a battery.

It is a good idea to have 2 or three batteries. They run down faster than they charge back up. -->>>
Old July 31st, 2003, 07:05 PM   #14
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Thanks for your response, Henry.

I'm a long-time customer at B&H and I've never experienced a bad encounter with one of their salespeople. On the occasions when I've called to get more info about something, I've always felt that the information given is on the level...and the best thing of all is how I never felt I was being pushed into making quick decisions.

With the enormous quantity of items B&H offers, obviously a salesman might trip on his words from time to time. But I'd like to say to Brad that I've never seen evidence that this is a common occurrence at B&H.

And to Chaim...about the "urban" or "curt" phone manner...I don't even notice it now. I've lived in NYC and a few other large cities and you're right. It is a big city style of communication. That abruptness really isn't attributable to rudeness...most "big city folk" just don't communicate in the same "nice weather today how are the kids" fashion that you get in smaller places.

I'll continue shopping there.
Old August 1st, 2003, 01:52 AM   #15
Regular Crew

yep, i bought the camera from them today with no problems, just the typical new york minute conversation skills....it really isn't rudeness, they just seem like they are on speed compared to the rest of the world.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U