Alternative To Apple Hd Monitor at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
All about the original single-CCD HDV camcorders from JVC.

Old July 26th, 2003, 10:44 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Alternative To Apple Hd Monitor

If you wanted a HD monitor (16 by 9)
and you needed to use it for hooking it up to your G4 laptop
as well as on location monitor viewing of shots set up...

what would you get?

TPM

"The HOOP DREAMS of football..."

USA TODAY (Mike Clark) FOUR STARS
Old July 27th, 2003, 01:15 AM   #2
Outer Circle

I heard good things about the WM-3001 field monitor:

http://www.astro-systems.com/
Old July 27th, 2003, 08:27 AM   #3
Wrangler

Not sure what you're really looking for here... the Apple 23" Cinema Display isn't really an "HD monitor", it's a computer screen and will only work with ADC input.

I've looked around a bit for this sort of thing myself, and am not so sure that you can really kill two birds with one stone like this. A couple years ago I got a Samsung SyncMaster 151MP which is 1024x768 VGA monitor that also accepts s-video, RCA and component. It has a tv tuner module as well. It works fine as a computer display, but looks horrible when used as a video monitor with s-video. Maybe there are some newer models that work better these days? I think one of the problems is that the pixel dimensions of the screen (1024x768) don't scale well to a 720x480 video signal.

Now recently I've been considering the Sony WEGA KLV-23HR1 which is a 16:9 native 1280x768 23" screen. It looks nice in the store (but doesn't everything? ;-) One day I'll take my PDX-10 by and see how some playback looks on it. The price has dropped recently on this model to around $2,200 I think. However you won't be able to use this as a computer monitor, just s-video, RCA and component.
Old July 27th, 2003, 09:57 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I'm very much satisfied with my recently purchased Viewsonic VP171b. It's advertised as being able to handle 720p and since it's resolution is 1280 x 1024, it's able to do this without scaling. I have it connected via DVI (it has VGA as well) to an MIT MyHD MDP-120 hi-def card. This setup accepts the signal via Firewire from either my HD1 or my DVHS DH30000.
The picture quality is outstanding and coming from the HD1 via Firewire seems to confirm my suspicion that the HD1's edge-enhancement is not part of the recorded signal but is only applied to the analog output during playback.
Old July 28th, 2003, 03:06 PM   #5
MPS Digital Studios

I'm using the 15 inch Samsung HD LCD as a computer monitor/HDTV monitor. It's not the greatest for the HDTV (it's an LCD), but I'll be getting a CRT one by next year. Time to make some money first!

heath
Old July 30th, 2003, 08:14 PM   #6
Wrangler

Well after thinking about all this I was in Circuit City today, and on an impulse ended up buying a Sony SDM-V72W Multimedia Display (they have a 14 day full refund return policy). This is a 17.1" 16:9 TFT active matrix LCD screen with 1280x768 resolution and a 500:1 contrast ratio. It accepts s-video, component video and VGA. I haven't really put it through its paces, but it looks like a very nice, bright, lightweight screen that I can haul around.

The price seemed pretty good to me, it was $900 with a $200 Sony rebate, for a total of $700. Now I'm not using this for HD personally, but with a Sony PDX-10 DVCAM in 16:9 mode, and the image looks pretty good. There was a noticeable amount of grainy noise on the s-video image using the factory default settings, but turning the sharpness down to 0 eliminated most of it. Quickly looking at a test pattern, in s-video mode the screen overscans by about 3% or so, which is comparable to the LCD screen on my PDX-10.

Anyway, this might be an option worth investigating for your needs since it supports multiple input formats.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U