DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gr-hd1u-jy-hd10u/)
-   -   HD-10 or GL2? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gr-hd1u-jy-hd10u/12568-hd-10-gl2.html)

Jeff Jordan July 29th, 2003 09:53 AM

HD-10 or GL2?

Hi folks,

Had my GL2 for 3 days and it died. Will not power on utilizing multiple, well charged batteries. So I have sent it back for a credit.

This issue does not sway me one bit from getting another GL2. I am a lifelong Canon fan and know folks who have had GL1's and GL2's for years with no service required.

However, I am questioning if there is a reason to pay $1,200 more and get the HD-10? I only want to buy a cam one time. It will be used strictly for amateur, personal use, but I want the best I can afford(hey I'm not making an opus, but I want the video of my golden retrievers growing up to look as prestine as possible!)

Anyone have an opinion that knows both cameras? Does the JVC perform exceptionally in low light?...........$1,200 better? :-)

I am totally taken with the Canon, pro L lens 20x optical zoom. I have used their L glass in 35mm form for years and nothing touches it in my experience. ~800mm optical zoom is incredible reach. This compares to a 10:1 on the HD10 I believe.

As far as output, from reading posts here, it seems that post processing to DVD won't provide the full output available by the HD format.......yet.....but I would be ready for the future when that happens. Does this mean then that in today's world, post processing to DVD using the HD10 might look about equal to the GL2 and it's 3 CCD's?

From a playback perspective, I have a Pioneer 65" RPTV, HDTV, that fully supports 480p, 720P, and 1080i. So I suppose I could attach the camera directly and view my "raw" footage in HD splendor, right? I assume the output of the HD10 is component video, as my RPTV has RCA-type component video inputs.

Any feedback would be very much appreciated as I am truly usure of what to do.

Frank Granovski July 29th, 2003 12:32 PM

Quote:

Had my GL2 for 3 days and it died. Will not power on utilizing multiple, well charged batteries. So I have sent it back for a credit.
J.G.? Your GL2 died how? What do you mean by, "utilizing multiple, well charged batteries?"
Quote:

Anyone have an opinion that knows both cameras? Does the JVC perform exceptionally in low light?...$1,200 better? :-)
Nope.
Quote:

Does this mean then that in today's world, post processing to DVD using the HD10 might look about equal to the GL2 and it's 3 CCD's?
Maybe the moderator can answer that.

Heath McKnight July 29th, 2003 01:29 PM

Hmm, good question that ultimately is up to you.

Weigh the pluses and minuses, the biggest ones being ease of use (GL2 wins) and great (HD) image (HD10 wins). And cost, too.

The HD1 costs a bit less than the HD10...

heath

Yang Wen July 29th, 2003 05:40 PM

If really depends on your planned use. Candle-lit birthday parties??? by all means get the GL2.

Michael Hyun July 30th, 2003 03:20 PM

"If really depends on your planned use. Candle-lit birthday parties??? by all means get the GL2."

I find it funny that everyone wants to shoot videos in the dark. If you are sold on the 20x zoom, by all means get the gl2.

If you want to utilize the full capability of your 60 inch HDTV now rather than later, get the JVC. It's like staring through a window. I doubt you would be disappointed.

BTW- I have an HD1 which is only a few hundred more than the gl2. While people on this board seem to diss it for its edge enhancement, I don't mind it so much. In most situations the effect is rather subtle, and most people would never notice it.

Heath McKnight July 30th, 2003 03:44 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Michael Hyun : "If really depends on your planned use. Candle-lit birthday parties??? by all means get the GL2."

I find it funny that everyone wants to shoot videos in the dark. If you are sold on the 20x zoom, by all means get the gl2.

If you want to utilize the full capability of your 60 inch HDTV now rather than later, get the JVC. It's like staring through a window. I doubt you would be disappointed.

BTW- I have an HD1 which is only a few hundred more than the gl2. While people on this board seem to diss it for its edge enhancement, I don't mind it so much. In most situations the effect is rather subtle, and most people would never notice it. -->>>

Man, in HD mode, the stars and the moon looked GREAT, better than my old XL-1!

heath

ps-shooting in the dark SUCKS!