Hd Capture Utility at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
All about the original single-CCD HDV camcorders from JVC.

Old August 5th, 2003, 12:14 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Hd Capture Utility

It seems that when you capture, rather than 1 large capture file, a separate file is created for each time you paused your recording.

While this is not a big problem, I've noticed that the shorter duration clips (under 2-3 seconds) are not captured at all.

Anyone else notice this?

Anyway around it?

Thanks.
Old August 5th, 2003, 01:41 PM   #2
Regular Crew

yah, i had the same problem.....i guess you just make sure your clip is longer then a few seconds.....since it seems to cut off the first and last few seconds of each clip (leaving short clips overlooked entirely)
Old August 5th, 2003, 09:34 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Have you ran into the case where you have recored say clip 1 in HD mode and say clip 2 in SD mode, you then use the HD Capture Utility which creates two files then you try to import them into a new project using the 'MPEG Edit Studio Pro LE' software that came with the camera only to get an error message when you try to add clip 2 because the video-Attribute is different then the project or the first clip? How do you get around this problem?

Sasha
Old August 6th, 2003, 11:03 AM   #4
Major Player

I would take a look at the new Womble editor, www.womble.com, I tried it briefly and it seemed much more reliable thant the Mpeg Studio software that came with the camera, and it's only $120. I will probably buy it myself shortly when I have time to get to some editing.
Old August 6th, 2003, 11:28 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks Paul. I'll check into it.
Sasha
Old August 6th, 2003, 02:05 PM   #6
Regular Crew

>>>I've noticed that the shorter duration clips (under 2-3 seconds) are not captured at all.

Anyone else notice this?<<<

I think there is a warning about this in the user guide? However, I've noticed that the "on camera" edits truncate the audio about this same amount. Could it be that the editor is purposely designed to compensate for this by truncating the video to match? In any case, compensating for this trait during shooting seems to be the best bet.
Old August 6th, 2003, 08:47 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I saw a warning in the software installation packet, but not in the user guide (i don't recall).

I've also noticed a tendency for the HDcapture utility to skip some longer (>5 secs) clips as well. Anybody else notice this?

Has anybody tried any 3rd party capture programs for the PC?

Thanks.
Old August 7th, 2003, 08:10 AM   #8
Regular Crew

I haven’t tried any other products as yet, but I do know the Cineform product “Aspect HD” comes with its own capture utility called “CF Capture”. Since Aspect HD seems to have been developed specifically for the HD1/HD10 it might be somewhat fine tuned to get around some of these idiosyncrasies? Cineform is offering a 30 day money back satisfaction guarantee with the product when it comes out. As such I think I’ll give it a try when I know I’ll have some free time to properly check it out.
Old August 7th, 2003, 09:32 AM   #9
Major Player

Womble Editor

Tried to use Womble Editor as Paul suggested earlier. Apparently the trial is for MPG1 only - that does not help! I tried email (support@womble.com) and message was returned. So much for Womble.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U