DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gr-hd1u-jy-hd10u/)
-   -   Clips from Las Vegas (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gr-hd1u-jy-hd10u/13034-clips-las-vegas.html)

Brad Hawkins August 9th, 2003 07:08 AM

Clips from Las Vegas

I took the HD10 with me this past week on my trip to Las Vegas and tested the camera in a couple of different situations. So for anyone interested in seeing more footage from the HD10 you can download the clips at:

http://homepage.mac.com/bradleyvance/

Even though these clips are hand-held and using only a simply polarizing filter they still turned out pretty nice, so hopefully this will help anyone out there still trying to make a desicion about quality of the HD10, one way or another.

Brad

PS - these clips are big and take up almost all my web storage, so I'll probably only be able to leave up for a week or so.

Glenn Gipson August 9th, 2003 09:07 AM

Are you pleased with the camera?

Robert Jackson August 9th, 2003 10:04 AM

Re: Clips from Las Vegas

Wonderful Brad. Thank you very much. The latitude issues are obvious in a couple of clips, but I don't see a serious problem with working around that. Otherwise, this is just more proof that this format is everything I'd hoped it would turn out to be. I'm still planning to wait until the next CES to see if anyone else introduces a more fully-realized model based on it, but I have no doubt that I'll be shooting with an HDV camcorder soon. Thanks again for posting the footage.

<<<-- Originally posted by Brad Hawkins : I took the HD10 with me this past week on my trip to Las Vegas and tested the camera in a couple of different situations. So for anyone interested in seeing more footage from the HD10 you can download the clips at:-->>>

Paul Mogg August 9th, 2003 11:35 AM

Thanks Brad, those sunset/night shots are very interesting, not a lot of video noise, which you might expect.
Just a note to remind people that if they see a lot of color noise in HD10 footage, it's probably because they are viewing the footage through a software player like Elecard or VLAN, which seem to ADD a lot of color noise on playback that is not in the original footage. As I've mentioned before, it seems that the only way to view the full quality of HD10 footage is either directly from the camera onto a native 720p capable HD monitor, or from a DVHS deck onto the same type of monitor (or projector of course).

All the best

Brad Hawkins August 9th, 2003 12:59 PM

Glenn,

Yes I am definately pleased with the camera. True, it does have its shortcommings, and I'm sure future generations of HDV cameras will be more complete, but all in all it is an amazing camera. There is nothing like it available now.

Glenn Gipson August 9th, 2003 02:51 PM

What do I need to play that file extension?

Brad Hawkins August 9th, 2003 10:03 PM

m2t Player

you'll need a player like the Moonlight - Elecard player

http://www.elecard.com/download/

Glenn Gipson August 10th, 2003 05:13 AM

I have to admit, this camera maybe the most “filmic” pro-sumer camera available. The dynamic range is not great, but that is only from the perspective of someone who doesn’t want the “artistic” style of washed out whites. The colors aren’t great, but that is only from the perspective of someone who doesn’t want the “artistic” style of toned down colors. There’s no 25p or 24p, but 30p is good enough to launch a North American moviemaker’s career, via the film festival circuit (and Landmark Theaters does have digital projection now.) However, the biggest downside is the lack of manual controls in contrast to other prosumer cameras. I suppose the bottom line is that this camera is just like any other camera in that it has its strengths and its weakness. There really is no ultimate camera, there is only the right camera for the right job.

T. Patrick Murray August 10th, 2003 03:08 PM

I agree with Glenn wholeheartedly-
I hope to be one of the filmmakers
whose career this camera launches...

Too bad I can't view the Vegas clips-
any player that works for a Mac running OS X?

Thanks

T. Patrick Murray

Penfold Plum August 11th, 2003 02:05 PM

Vegas Clips

Thanks for putting up those Vegas Clips, they are fantastic. This camera can really take some stunning video.

One thing that caught my eye though was how jittery the 30p was. 30p on the DVX100 clips I've seen looks a lot smoother. I was curious so I fiddled with the settings on the Elecard player and when I slowed down the footage, although it was doing 30fps, they did not seem to be being displayed evenly in time. That is to say two frames would go quickly followed by a little pause, then another two frames and another pause followed by some evenly spaced frames e.t.c. I couldn't figure out any discernable pattern, but when I slowed it down and advanced it frame by frame it seems that the frames were captured evenly in time but when played back were sometimes being displayed in little bursts with little pauses between them which exaggerated the jitteryness of the final output.

Anyone else see this? Anyone know why?

P.

Paul Mogg August 11th, 2003 06:24 PM

The Elecard player itself wll cause uneven playback, especially if you don't have a very fast PC, and it also adds quite a lot of color noise that isn't in the original footage, as does the VLAN player on the Mac. You need to view the footage from a DVHS deck direct to a Native 720p capable monitor, without any up or down conversion, or direct from the camera itself, to see the full quality of the video from the camera without the computer induced artifacts.

Hope this helps

Bob England August 11th, 2003 06:25 PM

Videolan is open source streaming software that has a Mac OS X client. You would at least be able to view the clips, but motion playback will not be smooth unless you've got the horsepower. It's available from:
http://www.videolan.org/

Bob England

<<<-- Originally posted by T. Patrick Murray : I agree with Glenn wholeheartedly-

Thanks

T. Patrick Murray -->>>

Penfold Plum August 12th, 2003 01:59 AM

That's probably it guys (although I am running a 2gig Pentium IV). I would have thought the problem would be less pronounced during slower playback though as there is less data being handled per second, but it is just as obvious even at the very slowest speeds.

Heath McKnight August 12th, 2003 01:43 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by T. Patrick Murray : I agree with Glenn wholeheartedly-

Thanks

T. Patrick Murray -->>>

The camera doesn't launch it, YOU do. I learned that lesson (expensive, too) a while ago.

heath

T. Patrick Murray August 13th, 2003 08:10 AM

I agree Heath- THE CAMERA is BUT A TOOL...

But I made an award-winnign film on DV,
so I know I can do good things with HD.

T. Patrick