DVHS playback at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
All about the original single-CCD HDV camcorders from JVC.

Old August 14th, 2003, 07:15 PM   #1
Major Player

DVHS playback

I'm glad issues other than the camera are now being discussed. Like the LE software program for example. Fascinating. Now I'd like to know if anyone's had experience with JVC.'s D-VHS playback deck. I was told that once you've dumped an HD program onto tape in the MPEG-TS format, you can still distribute your program to your clients using its S-VHS outputs to make VHS dubs. Is that true? If it is, then that's a way we can make money right now! And by using the same output, you can generate regular DVDs for distribution. Yes?
Old August 14th, 2003, 11:17 PM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Yes, that does work fine. The D-VHS output can be letterboxed or VHS/DVD dubs.

On a side issue I don't know of any DVD recorders you can correctly create an anamorphic DVD (i.e. with the 16:9 flags set) because the non-lettterbox 16:9 output would produce a much better quality DVD (more vertical pixels.) Any body know if the new recorder can do correctly format anamorphic 16:9?
Old August 16th, 2003, 06:15 AM   #3
Major Player

I posed this question to Ken Freed and he seemed to think that the S-VHS and the composite video outputs would not give the "true" higher rez 16:9 you are referring to. (This is a distinction I wasn't aware of myself.) He was quick to point out however that its 16:9 output for S-VHS still looks excellent. It seems like this recorder allows us to operate and distribute our programs in the present-day formats while archieving for the future. Cool!
Old August 16th, 2003, 04:16 PM   #4
HDV Cinema

<<<-- Originally posted by Lynne Whelden : I posed this question to Ken Freed and he seemed to think that the S-VHS and the composite video outputs would not give the "true" higher rez 16:9 you are referring to. (This is a distinction I wasn't aware of myself.) -->>>

The NTSC output is NTSC so it must be down-rezed from HDV.

I'm just finishing a review of one of the D-VHS decks. Seems like a great deal, especially at the prices.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U