DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gr-hd1u-jy-hd10u/)
-   -   Finally --- An Example Of Footage From The Hd10u!!! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gr-hd1u-jy-hd10u/13676-finally-example-footage-hd10u.html)

T. Patrick Murray August 24th, 2003 07:54 AM

Finally --- An Example Of Footage From The Hd10u!!!

Check out a spec commercial for RED BULL:

www.FloatingCar.com

I have nothing to do with these guys,
i just saw the link on camcorder info,
and it's the nest example I have seen for
how profoundly filmic this camrea is.

When is everyone in America going to realize that
the pros of this camera heavily outweigh the negatives?

Anyway, it only helps those who buy it get a head start
on HD production... at a low cost, that is...

T. Patrick Murray

Jose Cavazos August 24th, 2003 10:11 AM

Agree. Nice work!

Ken Hodson August 24th, 2003 01:22 PM

Well I wouldn't watch it if your queasy ;>)
To be honest it looks nice, but with that web compression it could be done with any camera. I wish I could see some real raw full video.

T. Patrick Murray August 24th, 2003 05:15 PM

I agree about the web compression
but there is an intrinsic, ineffable
quality to film, and this video camera has that quality.

The flesh tones. The motion quality (even at 30 fps).

Anyway, I really think it's special-
wonder what everyone else thinks?

(Since, as far as I can tell, there has not been any other edited
examples offered)

T. Patrick Murray

Yang Wen August 24th, 2003 09:17 PM

Web compression is very forgiving on many levels. I believe the full size frames would look different. Also where did you find out this was shot with the JVC? I couldn't find any info on that. A very good example of my point about web compression is here:

http://www.bluecoremedia.com/movie_ad02_480.html

This video I came across was all shot with the 2/3" CCD Sony 500WS except for the balcony shots of the wedding ceremony which was shot with a GL1, and you can hardly tell the difference there. But we all know how uncomprarable these two cams are.

Daymon Hoffman August 25th, 2003 07:10 AM

Hmm why do people insist on making video cameras look like film cameras? Film seems very old and outdated to me. Its noisey... juddery... expensive in post and/or any type of transfers and editing... etc etc.

/me thanks God the Star Wars guys arent afraid to use the good stuff and not "what everyone uses".

/end rant :P

Eric Bilodeau August 25th, 2003 07:25 AM

T. Patrick Murray --->> "I have nothing to do with these guys, i just saw the link on camcorder info, and it's the nest example I have seen for how profoundly filmic this camrea is."

Maybe you should provide us with this link because I saw nothing to corroborate the theory that it was indeed shot with the JY-HD10u. ( Though I am sure it could have now that I manipulated it...). The washed out whites are indeed looking like the ones I experienced on the HD10 but it is hard to tell because of both the definition and the compression.

Yang Wen August 25th, 2003 08:24 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Daymon Hoffman : Hmm why do people insist on making video cameras look like film cameras? Film seems very old and outdated to me. Its noisey... juddery... expensive in post and/or any type of transfers and editing... etc etc.

/me thanks God the Star Wars guys arent afraid to use the good stuff and not "what everyone uses".

/end rant :P -->>>

Whoe cares if film is a hassle to post, its the end result that matters. Why do you think george lucas went with HD for star wars!?! Because it was the first video format that could approximate film!!

T. Patrick Murray August 25th, 2003 01:17 PM

You know the camera is good when people don't believe
it was shot with it...

I found the link on camcorderinfo.com...

Look there for yourself and question the people
who posted it, not me.

Don't kill the messenger.

T. Patrick Murray

Glenn Gipson August 25th, 2003 01:58 PM

It looks really cool to me. The camera is locked into a "blown out" type of image, but if that is what one wants, then one is in business. The subject matter is...umm...disturbing.

Daymon Hoffman August 25th, 2003 03:15 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Yang Wen :
Whoe cares if film is a hassle to post, its the end result that matters. Why do you think george lucas went with HD for star wars!?! Because it was the first video format that could approximate film!! -->>>

Thats weird i seem to remember an interview with the man himself and his reasons were becuase of all the advantages it had over film. Like faster and more varied post production and handling. Now regardless of what the end reslut is... the photographers and directors and all the happy little family are always trying to do the "first" part easier/faster/cheaper while the viewers never see a difference.. just a movie etc. not once was it mentioned that it was "like" film. I'm sorry but your post made absolutely wild claims. Unfortunately i havent got this interview with me now but i'm sure someone else might.

If this was shot with out beloved JVC.. its a pitty we couldnt see it in all its glory @ 720. Pretty nice job if it is... though i agree scarey content. Or should i say.. scarey actors :D

Eric Bilodeau August 27th, 2003 06:04 PM

You where right, it was indeed shot with the HD10. I am not surprised but I am pleased. These guys just positionned themselves as the first to use this camera for a commercial. They have bulls (...sorry... I mean balls!).

Welcome to the revolution :)

Heath McKnight August 28th, 2003 12:47 AM

Looked like film. Good for them; wonder what they posted on...

I could've done without the actors...or the subject.

heatho

Steve Mullen August 29th, 2003 11:23 AM

Just went to look at it.

Great look! Definitely the JVC look.

This the type of TV ad we never get to see in repressed USA. Bet it will fly in Europe.

T. Patrick Murray August 29th, 2003 11:59 AM

I guess it's because I am an off the cuff type of person by nature
(that is, flexible in a good way, careless in a bad way sometimes)
but I do not mind the problems with manual control on this cam...

I have found that there are ways around some of the annoyances.

I am doing some political commercials with it and maybe I will post them-
since it won't be as stylized as the RED BULL spec...

BIG QUESTION- did anyone see the MTV Video Music Awards?

Who cares about Britney's kiss with Madonna-
did anyone notice the progressive look of the video broadcast?

What were they using? 24p HD downconverted?

Any theories?

I thought it was a broadcasting first.

T. Patrick Murray