NLE Editing how to! Aspect HD -donīt fear!! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
All about the original single-CCD HDV camcorders from JVC.

Old August 29th, 2003, 02:50 PM   #1
Regular Crew

NLE Editing how to! Aspect HD -donīt fear!!

I want to make the downloaded *.m2t streams into editabe 1280*720avi file so I could test edit and take a look on the final result on my tv, so I can see the difference compred to DV! Help me I got some information here, but please help me to fill in the holes in the following guide:

(This solution is not intended to replace Aspect HD at all, it is just a way to find out how the HD will look on my TV in the end, so donīt get all angry with me you Cineform Inc guys, cause I do like you! And I will buy your product cause: This is way to hard to do... on all files that I should edit!! And I want all the REALTIME!!)
Author: Lorin Thwaits
Date: Mar-17-2003
NLE Editing - How to make a perfect AVI to edit with

Okay, before any Mac guys get offended, I warn you that I am a total PC guy, and this explanation is geared that way. I`m sure that once the video is captured, there`s also a way to convert from the standard MPEG-2 .M2T transport stream files to QuickTime, probably with MM2D found at http://mm2d.sourceforge.net/. Anyway, on a PC to get a perfect lossless AVI from the MPEG stream, just use a tool to remux the file from its native MPEG-2 transport stream to a program stream, then decompress with the freeware VirtualDub program that has been modified to take MPEG-2 as a source (Available from http://es.geocities.com/dextstuff/#VirtualDub ). Note that the somewhat popular Flask program won't work because the widest video it can handle is 1008 pixels. Anyway, with the modified VirtualDub program, you can save using any AVI codec you want, including the perfectly lossless and freeware HuffYUV that uses just Huffman encoding. Premiere or whatever other NLE you want is then an option, with absolutely no artifacts other than what the camera`s MPEG-2 introduced back when it was recorded on tape. At the show I took very little interest in the editor that comes bundled with the camera, and focused on how I could get this high-quality stream over to an NLE that I'm familiar with. The JVC folks at the booth were kind enough to burn a CD for me with the standard .M2T files the camera dumps from its included capture tool. With those I played around and came up with the above procedure, which provides no loss of image quality.

Quastions:
1. How do I Remux a file from its native MPEG-2 transport stream to a program stream? -What software can I use?

2. I canīt find the modified version of virtual dub -the link works, but I canīt find it!! -Help!!

3. Help me -cause this is way to advance for me!!!

And again to CINEFORM ASPECT HD!!:
This solution is not intended to replace Aspect HD at all, it is just a way to find out how the HD will look on my TV in the end, so donīt get all angry with me you Cineform Inc guys, cause I do like you! And I will buy your product cause this is way to hard to do... on all files that I should edit!! And I want all the REALTIME!!
Old September 30th, 2003, 03:08 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Did anyone ever figure out what program can be used to remux the mpg2 transport stream to a program stream?
Old September 30th, 2003, 06:28 PM   #3
Regular Crew

first off, converting an mpeg2-ts file to mpeg2 + sound(ac3,etc) is referred to as De-muxing, not re-muxing.

for the pc, x-muxer works just fine:

http://www.moonlight.co.il/download/index.shtml?dl=xmuxer

although they like to spell it ][muxer for some silly 3L337 d0oDZ reason. - makes it harder to find in a search.
Old September 30th, 2003, 10:49 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi Alex,
Did you dump a temporary file >2GB with huffyuv compressinon? I have problem with large files. I have no problem with importing large files to the P6.5, editing, and then compressing to .ts mpeg stream. But sometimes I need to process a partially edited file in the VirtualDub. Frame server is bad for dumping large file. Once I dumped this way and tried to play the file and got a message: "Frameserver not servig." How such a file "knows" it. Had to restart project, start server and .... then I could play this 5 GB file. :-) :-o .

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U