HD-1 Compatibility with Various PCs at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
All about the original single-CCD HDV camcorders from JVC.

Old September 3rd, 2003, 11:05 AM   #1
Regular Crew

HD-1 Compatibility with Various PCs

I'm just now getting around to trying to import HD-1 footage to the only PC I've got - a Sony PCV-RX671 (I'm actually Mac-based and eventually may try Steve Mullen's 4HDV solution). The Sony is designed to accommodate digital video but I can't find its particular capture specification/board. So far, I've been unable to get the software (HD Capture Utility 1.0) bundled with the HD-1 to "see" the Firewire-connected HD-1. Does anyone know if the HD-1 and Sony computers are compatible? If so, what might I be doing wrong? If not, what capture board do I need to obtain? I can find no help regarding this issue on the JVC site.
Old September 3rd, 2003, 11:28 AM   #2
Major Player

You're probably already aware of this, but apple has a couple of utilities for capturing from the JVC cam and other DVHS devices. known as DVHSCap and VirtualDVHS, and they work very well.
I haven't tried the PC utilities.
Old September 3rd, 2003, 11:44 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Right. However, it is my understanding (as I navigate through this fairly confusing video territory) that even using the utilities you mentioned, getting edited material (via Steve Mullen's 4HDV) out of my Mac and onto either a DV or DVHS tape requires variously expensive apps from Heuris (the cheapest one at $600 hasn't been released yet). So, I thought I'd try some quick and "simple" manipulation via the included PC software. So far, though, my Sony PC hasn't recognized the HD-1.
Old September 3rd, 2003, 11:57 AM   #4
Regular Crew

David,

I have a Sony computer and haven’t had any problems capturing video from my HD10 via firewire using the supplied utility. I don’t remember the model number and I’m not currently at home to look it up. The computer is about a 6 month old 3GHz P4. I’m using a front panel port.
Old September 3rd, 2003, 12:11 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Excellent! Then there's hope! I'll keep trying. Mine is a little older - it's a 2 GHz P4. Seems like it ought to work, though. The software documentation warns that capture may not work in some PC environments but there's not much help beyond that.
Old September 3rd, 2003, 01:25 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Solved the problem (I think) be reinstalling the driver. (Hey, I'm a Mac person and had forgotten how complicated and weird installing Windows software is.)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U