DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gr-hd1u-jy-hd10u/)
-   -   Manual Focusing JVC JY-HD10U (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gr-hd1u-jy-hd10u/14925-manual-focusing-jvc-jy-hd10u.html)

Matthew Phillips September 24th, 2003 11:55 AM

Manual Focusing JVC JY-HD10U

I have read some people's post about the difficulty of manually focusing the HD10U using the viewfinder and the LCD screen...Does anyone have any solutions? I am student that wants to learn to how to shoot HD. SO I thought that this camera would be useful but I do not have the resources to acquire a HD monitor just for focusing purposes. Are there any tricks that could help me?

Matthew Phillips

Paul Mogg September 24th, 2003 12:16 PM

The camera will focus on it's own using auto or manual focus, and you can use the LCD for this (I wouldn't reccomend the viewfinder at all though). The question is, what level of focus accuracy do you require? What level of professionalism are you working at? HD demands a greater level of accuracy due to the increased resolution, and it is very evident when displayed on a large HD monitor if your subject is even slightly out of focus, you cannot get away with slight soft focus as in SD, in fact soft focus in HD looks somewhat like SD to me!!
If you can't afford a portable HD monitor (which I can't either) I would suggest taking along a good quality SD monitor that has been calibrated and use that for focusing. Whatever it is it will probably be better than the LCD screen for accuracy. Then use manual focus as much as possible, as the auto focus hunting looks horrible on HD (or SD for that matter).

All the best

Heath McKnight September 24th, 2003 04:08 PM

This may sound weird, but...

Don't learn HD on this camera. This is still a consumer camera, regardless. It can't be that different from the HD1, except it has a sharper image (in the LCD only?) and an XLR adaptor which may make the audio worse...

Sorry, just a little jaded.

Train on a pro HD camera. Colleges, I believe, have some high end HD equipment. I'm lucky I have a friend with access to a CineAlta. :-)

heath

Eric Bilodeau September 24th, 2003 10:43 PM

I did not find focusing on the HD10 to be that hard in most cases with the LCD. As a matter of fact I was surprised to see how much easier it is than with my $%?&*?*& XL1s's color viewfinder. Of course, as Paul pointed out, for very professional work where exact focus is needed, you should have a monitor but in other occasions, it works perfectly fine.

On the other end, this camera will not permit you to learn HD since it does not display in HD while shooting (or in camera mode). Yeah, I know, this machine is less than perfect, and you should see the colorbars... no grey tones, just colors... Ahem... it's like the iris/shutter "dilemma button"... It is a good idea... It was just half done... Let's save space by putting those two stupid and useless functions on a single button (now you hear the crowd of techs cheering and applauding this incredible act of genius)..... Aargh... But Damn! The images this baby can produce... God save us from it's "logical and ergonomic 300 bucks lowsumer camera" design... I had to say that... Sorry for the burned fuse here... I'll get back to being nice again :)

Dave Largent September 25th, 2003 06:14 PM

But the LCD flip-out screens are identical on both models, right?

Heath McKnight September 25th, 2003 06:53 PM

I've heard the LCD on the HD10 is better, but can't verify.

heath

Eric Bilodeau September 25th, 2003 10:16 PM

Technically they are identical (the LCDs). Just as the CCDs are but image is different in the two cameras and in the two LCDs...

Charles Henrich September 26th, 2003 01:05 AM

According to JVC's spec sheets, the viewfinder LCD in the HD10 is 180k pixels vs. 113k pixels in the HD1. The LCD panel shows the same number of pixels at 200k. The splash page for the HD10 says 2mp for the LCD, which must be a typo.

http://www.jvc.com/promotions/grhd1/professional/index.html

Andre Jesmanowicz September 27th, 2003 05:31 PM

Never say IMPOSSIBLE.
You can't connect an HD montor to the HD camcorder because it has one processor only. Two processors would do it! Yea, you got it, it is easy. I use JVC40K and connect it via 1394. The component output of JVC40K is connected to an HD monitor. Works like a champ, even in preview. The only drawback: video is delayed by about one second, but this is a common problem with mpeg2. One need at least a whole GOP package to reconstruct all six frames within.

Eric Bilodeau September 27th, 2003 05:39 PM

You can pretty easily hook the camera to a HD monitor, I've done it with both a HD JVC 20 inch and recently a Sony 24 inches and it hooks up like nothing (in component of course) since there is no SDI on he JVC. Both monitors recognised the signal instantly. There might be monitors unable to recognize it but it would mean monitors unale to recognize 720/60p or 1080i, a component out is not MPEG2, it is a component signal it does not have to be decoded, it is analog from the components.

Andre Jesmanowicz September 27th, 2003 06:07 PM

Try to preview when recording. Playback works without problem (GR-HD1).

Heath McKnight September 27th, 2003 06:07 PM

It doesn't, according to the manual. 480p.

heath

Eric Bilodeau September 27th, 2003 06:20 PM

Oh, you're right Andre, I thought you talked about playback. Recording monitoring works but in SD. Interresting thing this DVHS via firewire hookup... It makes sense. It would be nice to see HD image while recording though (directly from camera)... There might even be firewire modules for monitoring one of these days...

Alex Raskin September 27th, 2003 08:10 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Andre Jesmanowicz : I use JVC40K and connect it via 1394. The component output of JVC40K is connected to an HD monitor. -->>>

Would DH30000 work the same as 40K?

Do you know what is the difference between these two d-vhs models (I do know that 30K does not have a DTS decoder)?

Steve Mullen September 27th, 2003 10:42 PM

That's it.

Plus stereo out via optical link.