DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gr-hd1u-jy-hd10u/)
-   -   buying a new H10 please help on accessories (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gr-hd1u-jy-hd10u/15112-buying-new-h10-please-help-accessories.html)

Lisa Lee September 29th, 2003 05:12 AM

buying a new H10 please help on accessories

Okay, you all convinced me to get one of these cameras, but I need some advice on an upcoming day long shoot.

1. what lens filters do you recommend by what brands?
2. Whats a good mic (hand held and shotgun) for this camera
3. What type of video light can I connect to it...recommended brands/models
4. How long does the battery last, I need it to go on battery for about 6 hours a day. How many do I need?

Thanks!!!
Lisa

Christopher C. Murphy September 29th, 2003 02:28 PM

Lisa, if you "Search" this site you'll find the answers to your questions.

I'd suggest not spending to much money until you are sure you like the camera. I'd buy it...shoot some test footage and then edit it. I'm saying this because I bought the HD10U, but I'm using a Mac...and it's NOT easy to edit...it's a pain and I'm having tech problems still. I wouldn't trade it for a regular DV because I'll resolve these issues for sure.

But, if I had an important shoot coming up...I'd use an old stand-by PD150 or XL1s....something that you know you'll be able to use. There are many weird quirks with this camera. It's becoming obvious to me that without this forum...most of us would be p*ssed off with this camera! We're all pretty patient from what I can tell...and we like the idea of using HDV because its footage that will be usefull 5 years from now in some way. I hate 4:3 now...but, I know it's hear to stay for....another 5 years! (more, i know...wishful thinking)

Just my little 2 cents. I'd highly recommend this camera to you if you aren't under pressure for this shoot...and you don't have a dealine for editing.

Hope this doesn't deter you from buying it if you already made up your mind. But, I'm just trying to save you some time (and cash) on the accessories in-case you test shoot and want to return it.

Steven Galvano September 29th, 2003 04:22 PM

1) I use B+W filters - get a clear and .6 ND to start.
2) I've always used Sennheiser Mics, amd with this I have ME66 shotgun
3) If you do decide to stick with this camera, get at least an extra battery. I bought 2 add'l 428 knock-off (power 2000) from B&H. The power 2000 battery have a few more MaH as well.

Steve

Lisa Lee September 30th, 2003 12:37 AM

Thanks for the tips! I'm under pressure to shoot HD, so I'm going to suck it up and figure out how to use it. I'm also a big FCP /mac fan and I'm getting nervous just thinking of nightmares I'm going to be having using either premiere with aspect or vegas video. I'll have to do some searching on the site to see what people prefer for editing.

And Chris if you resolve those mac issues I'd love to hear about them....from what I've heard macs and this camera don't go together and therefore I'm probably headed towards PC editing for the first time.

Christopher C. Murphy September 30th, 2003 09:27 PM

Lisa,

If you can go PC for the time being it would probably be better. I'm litereally not able to edit yet on Mac...and I'm running a G4, 1 gig of RAM with the latest OSX release. I've been trying to get the 4HDV stuff to work, but it's not happening. It requires you to download various 3rd party plug-ins...and one of them isn't agreeing with my system.

I'd be willing to bet that something will give soon...there seems to be a market for "extras" on this camera. I've got a feeling we'll be seeing lots of toys really soon. I really wish some Mac wiz programmer would whip out some killer app, so we can simply plug the camera in and get the footage we need for FCP. I'd buy it...as of now it's requiring tons of time. (and i have yet to edit 1 frame of video on Mac)

Does anyone have good news for Mac users???? Argh! ;)

Chris

Lisa Lee October 1st, 2003 12:43 AM

Well in that case my older FCP 2 system with OS 9 and only 512 of ram on an older G4 will never be able to edit this. (I know, I know I really should upgrade someday...just too cheap and poor).

Thanks for the heads up Chris, now that mac is definitely out of the question, I'm going to have to go PC.

Steven Galvano October 1st, 2003 10:38 AM

Just a couple of side notes--

I'm finding that this camera burns through batteries much faster than I was warned. Be well stocked on the field.
I also picked up an extra charger (by Power 2000) from B&H for $40.00

Although the AF takes forever to get initial focus, the manual ring (I'm finding) is quite user-friendly.
BTW- If you do use AF to establish focus (as many do) MAKE SURE to turn it right off. This camera hunts relentlessly. My GL1 was much more subtle.

Steve

Heath McKnight October 1st, 2003 02:00 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Christopher C. Murphy :

But, if I had an important shoot coming up...I'd use an old stand-by PD150 or XL1s....something that you know you'll be able to use. There are many weird quirks with this camera. It's becoming obvious to me that without this forum...most of us would be p*ssed off with this camera! We're all pretty patient from what I can tell...and we like the idea of using HDV because its footage that will be usefull 5 years from now in some way. I hate 4:3 now...but, I know it's hear to stay for....another 5 years! (more, i know...wishful thinking) -->>>

I have used the DV mode, which is so-so (I comment on the audio on another thread) and an XL-1 to shoot other projects until editing becomes easier.

heath

Heath McKnight October 1st, 2003 02:09 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Christopher C. Murphy : Lisa,

If you can go PC for the time being it would probably be better. I'm litereally not able to edit yet on Mac...and I'm running a G4, 1 gig of RAM with the latest OSX release. I've been trying to get the 4HDV stuff to work, but it's not happening. It requires you to download various 3rd party plug-ins...and one of them isn't agreeing with my system.-->>>

Chris,

If you are using Mullen's 4HDV and having problems, TELL US! If you already have, put up a link. Many of us are interested in buying 4HDV, but want to know how it is before we plunk down the money. $100 is $100.

heath

Paul Mogg October 1st, 2003 02:44 PM

On the subject of good news for Mac users, I think the new HD codec called Pixlet, which will be released before the end of the year with the Panther version of OSX, will allow us to edit HDV on the Mac. It will require that you convert all of your HDV footage to the Pixlet codec first, but isn't that what happens with Aspect on the PC now? You convert to a proprietary codec?
Only time will tell for sure, but that's what I'm reading, and holding out for. I doubt if we'll see native HDV editing support in FCP or Quicktime until next year, but if Pixlet does the job I'm happy with that.

Heath McKnight October 1st, 2003 02:58 PM

Paul Mogg, Chris Murphy:

Give us your thoughts on 4HDV.

heath

Steven Galvano October 1st, 2003 03:30 PM

Will the conversion to Pixlet be lossless?

-Steve

Dave Largent October 2nd, 2003 01:54 AM

Steven, does the cam even hunt relentlessly outdoors, in good lighting?

Steven Galvano October 2nd, 2003 05:50 AM

In moderate to dark situations its horrible (as it is to be expected), but even in good lighting - it will get confused from time to time. My GL1 is much better in both situations.

Jose Cavazos October 2nd, 2003 07:06 AM

Regarding shootgun microphones:
I reasonably pleased with the Azden SGM-1X with short Audio-technica ASP-00127 cable.

Other accessories that were recommended by a JVC engineer:
Century optics matte box
Schneider 4x4 .6ND filter
Vinton vision 3 tripod