theatre production at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
All about the original single-CCD HDV camcorders from JVC.

Old October 3rd, 2003, 01:05 PM   #1
Regular Crew

theatre production

Hello friends , I am in toronto and have been reading the forum for a few days and am very impressed by the knowledge of my friends here .
I am an independent producer of music videos and commercials and also do weddings and events. I have been using xl1 for last 3 years and am satisfied by the performance .

I have been approached by some people to shoot a movie for theatrical viewing . they are willing to buy the hd10 and also the computer(pentium 4 ) and aspect hd (as proposed by me for the production) .
My question is is it possible that if we shoot on hd cam and edit on aspect hd and please tell me if it is as easy as it seems to be..and also if the process is as follows..

1. shoot on hd10

2. with a p4 computer (currently I have dual p3450 1 gig of ram , 18x4 scsss ultrawide hd and matrox digisuite card)input via firewire (please let me know how much hard drive am I looking at, five hours of footage to be cut to final of 60 minutes).

3. edit using aspect hd. how will i input audio if i have the audio on dat tape, I mean how would I input audio on the timeline. Can I use mp3 audio and also wav form on the timeline as I use in premiere regularly

4. final output back on the camera via firewire.

now here I am with the final output on the mini dv tape with hd final out put. where do i go from there to project it on theatre? Am i really able to do that or not ? If yes then do I have to convert to some other hd format to project it on theatre ? Do theatres accept such format? also what type of quality am I looking at as compared to 35mm film projection. Am I losing resolution in any conversion on the way and would this be the best way to go . I have used dsr500 also for music videos .

Thanks guys , i would really appreciate if any body can help me answering the above questions.
Old October 3rd, 2003, 03:19 PM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Re: theatre production

With CineForm's Aspect HD:

>1. shoot on hd10

Yes, this is today's recommended low cost HD camera.

>2. with a p4 computer input via firewire (please let me know how much hard drive am I looking at, five hours of footage to be cut to final of 60 minutes).

The CineForm HD codec (CFHD) uses an average of 30GB per hour. We recommend a low cost IDE RAID if you intend to do more than 2 two streams in real-time. Two 120GB 7200RPM IDE drives striped together will give you 8 hours of storage (for under $250.)

>3. edit using aspect hd. how will i input audio if i have the audio on dat tape, I mean how would I input audio on the timeline. Can I use mp3 audio and also wav form on the timeline as I use in premiere regularly

Aspect HD supports all of Premiere's existing audio abilities, so you can still import MP3s, WAVs, or audio from DAT as you have previously.

>4. final output back on the camera via firewire.

Yes you can encode the timeline back to MPEG2-TS for export back to the camera (although D-VHS is a better mastering format -- also supported.)

>now here I am with the final output on the mini dv tape with hd final out put. where do i go from there to project it on theatre? Am i really able to do that or not ? If yes then do I have to convert to some other hd format to project it on theatre ?

If you export to DVHS you can present straight from a DVHS deck to a digital projector.

>Do theatres accept such format?

That would depend on your theatre -- these standards are still changing. Fortunately you can convert to other footage as needed (like Window Media 9, HUFFYUV, Quicktime, etc.)

>also what type of quality am I looking at as compared to 35mm film projection.

The quality is excellent. I have seem awesome DILA projections of JVC display footage edited with Aspect HD at 1280x720. This was at the WEVA tradeshow (there were "Wows!" from the audience.)

> Am I losing resolution in any conversion on the way and would this be the best way to go.

The full 1280x720 at 30p is maintained throughout the process.
Old October 3rd, 2003, 03:30 PM   #3
Regular Crew

thanks you david . I really appreciate your response
Thank you again
Old October 3rd, 2003, 04:23 PM   #4
Trustee

What about multi-channel sound?

Theatrical releases usually require more than just stereo.

5.1 mix is the minimum.

How does Aspect HD (or other software) handle exporting the surround sound track to D-VHS recorder together with video?
Old October 3rd, 2003, 04:40 PM   #5
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Premiere Pro supports 5.1 so Aspect HD for Premiere Pro will support it (when Aspect HD for Pro ships.)
Old October 3rd, 2003, 09:12 PM   #6
Trustee

Owners of Vegas:

doesn't your software export video + 5.1 Dolby Surround soundtrack back to D-VHS *now* ?
Old October 3rd, 2003, 09:34 PM   #7
Regular Crew

As a new Vega owner according to the documentation, Yes it does. Have I tried it? No, I have not but stay tuned....

Mike
Old October 4th, 2003, 09:30 AM   #8
Major Player

>also what type of quality am I looking at as compared to 35mm film projection.

Do not be fooled into thinking you could approach 35mm. Minimum acceptable resolution is 2k by 2k with 4k by 4k preferred. Not to mention contrast and color limits of dv plus digital artifacts.
Old October 4th, 2003, 08:36 PM   #9
Regular Crew

thanks to you guys for all the replys....can anybody suggest how to control the hd10 on the crane....i mean with a remote control(if there is any) ...since there is no lanc controller

thanks
Old October 4th, 2003, 09:19 PM   #10
Major Player

You could control it using the supplied remote control. That would atleast give you on off and zoom .

Sorry not much more to offer. You could rent one of those nice cranes that have a camera operators seat :)))

DBK
Old October 4th, 2003, 09:57 PM   #11
Regular Crew

thanks ..i guess have to live with the remote control , surprising doesnt have a lanc control

is there a camera out by sony on japan ....called sony hd handycam....there was a japanese crew in toronto hare on some shoot and a friend of mine heard them say that......

i dont know how true is that.. is there a way to check out or anybody has info on that.

i tried searching on net but could not...:((((
Old October 5th, 2003, 01:45 PM   #12
Trustee

No JVC's have Lanc. They use a input called Jlip. On older JVC cams you could order and plug in a Jlip connector that could be controlled by a PC to access camera functions, although the cord was very short( I believe it pluged from the camera to the usb?). I believe there must be something available to use given JVC has many high-end cameras and those operators must be demanding such abilities.
Here is a link I found.
http://www.jvc-victor.co.jp/english/tech/jlip/
Ken
Old October 6th, 2003, 07:44 AM   #13
Regular Crew

thanks for the information ken..:))

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U