JY-HD10 quality opinions? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
All about the original single-CCD HDV camcorders from JVC.

Old October 11th, 2003, 11:54 PM   #31
HDV Cinema

<<<-- Originally posted by Alex Raskin :
I don't see how this would work if editing is kept in MPEG2 format domain, like wth Aspect HD. -->>>

Problem is -- your understanding of aspect isn't correct. No problem using AE. It works fine.
Old October 12th, 2003, 12:54 PM   #32
Trustee

Emilio- The quality=19 setting is interesting. But my concern all along is unless you are going to leave your final video in Mjpeg format (not very usefull) you will want to convert to WM9, Divx, Mpeg2, or back to Mpeg2ts. From my experience in the past I have found that Mjpeg, due to the way it compresses is not very suitable when recompressing back to a mpeg4 type codec (WM9 or Divx) I have never tried recompressing back to mpeg2 or mpeg2ts in that situation.
I would be very interested in knowing the visual differences between
mpeg2ts --> Pic Mjpeg quality=19 --> mpeg2
&
mpeg2ts --> HuffYUV --> mpeg2
Old October 12th, 2003, 01:52 PM   #33
Trustee

<<<-- Originally posted by Ken Hodson : I would be very interested in knowing the visual differences between
mpeg2ts --> Pic Mjpeg quality=19 --> mpeg2
&
mpeg2ts --> HuffYUV --> mpeg2 -->>>

I've done the following:

mpeg2ts --> HuffYUV (edit... edit...) --> (a few steps omitted) mpeg2 ->m2t -> back to D-VHS

...with great success. No visible image degradation using HD monitor.

Of course, it'd be great if someone did the tests using professional signal analyzers, so actual measurements could be used to proof whether the quality of the signal deteriorates or not.

Again, subjectively, looks the same to my eye.
Old October 12th, 2003, 01:55 PM   #34
Trustee

<<<-- Originally posted by Steve Mullen : <<<-- Originally posted by Alex Raskin :
I don't see how this would work if editing is kept in MPEG2 format domain, like wth Aspect HD. -->>>

Problem is -- your understanding of aspect isn't correct. No problem using AE. It works fine. -->>>

I have no understanding of Aspect HD except what I read in this forum and on their web site.

Nowhere did I see any mentioning of Aspect working with AE, but rather with P 6.5 only.

If I missed something... care to elaborate?

One-liners are not very helpful/useful, sorry.
Old October 12th, 2003, 01:59 PM   #35
CTO, CineForm Inc.

The CineForm Aspect HD high definition CODEC (CFHD) works perfectly well with After Effects. In fact CFHD works will all VfW and DirectShow window packages (VirtualDub, AVISync, MediaPlayer, third editing and effects apps) and really anything that can use an AVI file. This is one of the many benefits of Aspect HD.
Old October 12th, 2003, 02:12 PM   #36
Trustee

Thanks David!

Now, *practically* speaking, what is the workflow?

My workflow: PPro outputs HUFFYUV AVIs of whatever I want to be processed by AE. Then I import them into AE, process, output back to PPro. Repeat until PPro edit is done.

Result: lossless roundabout, as HUFFYUV is a lossless codec.

Your workflow (I guess): PPro with Aspect imports the original mpeg2's. Whatever needs to be output to AE is then compressed into mpeg2 and imported into AE using Aspect. Then AE uses Aspect to compress ITS output into mpeg2, which then is imported back to PPro.

Is this correct?

If it is, what I see is multiple mpeg2 compression/degradation.

Note that because in "my workflow" example above the HYFFYUV codec used is lossless, there's no image degradation.

(I hope no-one is taking my comments as an attack on Aspect HD: I'm simply interested in figuring out the best possible way of practical HD editing, now.)
Old October 12th, 2003, 02:59 PM   #37
Regular Crew

Ken and Alex:

<<mpeg2ts --> HuffYUV --> mpeg2 -->>
I agree with your workflow. As I was saying I am using MJPEG at almost max quality, with a little compromise with quality, because huffyuv video is still huge for my current storage capacity.

Steve:

<<Problem is -- your understanding of aspect isn't correct. No problem using AE. It works fine.>>

My understanding of Aspect is that it costs $1200.

I have nothing against anyone who wants to profit from this apparent HD boom, with unique software and books. People who buy a camera usually have money for extras, i suppose. But sadly this isnt' the case of this particular 3rd-wordly guy. I simply don't have the money.

I haven't tried Aspect HD, i think there's no demo available, but my guess is that MPEG2 recompression during edition will introduce more artifacts than Huffyuv lossless codec, and perhaps more than a high rate MJPEG codec either.

Of course there's more than a simple MPEG2 editing scheme. Aspect HD is based in a new codec technology, so I can be wrong about the quality.

But I'd rather be wrong with free huffyuv codec, or picvideo free demo, or with $99 picvideo MJPEG registered codec, that works seamlessly with premiere, vegas and AE for any purpose.

Perhaps my next investment could be Aspect HD, if it proves to pay itself in a short period of time. But i fear there will always be some nice video hardware offer at this price tag to tempt me. Perhaps I would trade the $3000 camera plus the $1200 codec for a $4200 camera.
Old October 12th, 2003, 03:14 PM   #38
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Aspect HD of course is much more than a codec. The Codec is not MPEG2 based (for all the reasons mentioned.) CFHD is wavelet based with very high quality multi-generation abilities -- plus real-time. It is 2-3 more efficient than HUFFYUV and 3-4 times faster.
Old October 12th, 2003, 03:38 PM   #39
HDV Cinema

<<<-- Originally posted by Alex Raskin : Thanks David!

Your workflow (I guess): PPro with Aspect imports the original mpeg2's. Whatever needs to be output to AE is then compressed into mpeg2 and imported into AE using Aspect. Then AE uses Aspect to compress ITS output into mpeg2, which then is imported back to PPro. -->>>

Did you get this understandstanding from the the Aspect HD site?
Old October 12th, 2003, 03:43 PM   #40
HDV Cinema

<<<-- Originally posted by Emilio Le Roux :

My understanding of Aspect is that it costs $1200. -->>>

Didn't the HD10 cost you nearly $4000? So I'm curious since you already have the KDDI NLE, why you aren't using it. It really isn't that bad.

And you can avoid all these convertions you worry about.
Old October 12th, 2003, 09:12 PM   #41
New Boot

As earlier stated by David Newman:
"It comes with two handles, yes (one with and one without the XLR audio input.) It doesn't come with the shotgun mic."

Is this true? (sorry I don't always believe what I read.)

If so, What would be a quality shot gun mic that would work well in most cases?

Matt
Old October 13th, 2003, 08:43 AM   #42
Major Player

To get the most out of the audio, you will want to use a professional -60db mic.

It helps with the camera's auto gain.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U