Limit to m2t capture file size? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U

JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
All about the original single-CCD HDV camcorders from JVC.

Old October 9th, 2003, 05:02 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Limit to m2t capture file size?

1. Is there a limit to the capture file size of m2t files? I can't seem to get them above 2GB.

2. It seems only about 30 min of m2t files can be stored on a DVD-R. But 1 hour of WMP9 files can be stored on a DVD-R. Have you guys noticed any degradation in quality coming from going WMP9 when using this camera?
Old October 9th, 2003, 05:54 PM   #2
Inner Circle

1. This depends on your OS and file system. I have no trouble getting about 2 GBytes on WindowsXP using the NTFS file system.

2. Your WMP9 files probably have a lower bitrate, but the comparison is not simple. There are several factors. Constant Bit Rate (CBR) will produce larger files than Variable Bit Rate (VBR)
for the same upper limit of data rate.
Other factors are the quality of the encode, usually the level of
motion estimation. Also, the audio may be compressed or uncompressed, but it's in the neighborhood of 1/10 to 1/4 or the video data rate.

If you're worried about differences between the two formats,
make a test sequence. One that is used by my coworkers is of a cheerleading squad. The multiple pom-poms just blow up.
Old October 10th, 2003, 12:22 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Is there any way to make a 4GB m2t file rather than just a 2GB file?
Old October 10th, 2003, 12:42 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Lisa,

Yes, there's a way. What capture software and O/S are you using? I use a Windows XP system and Pinnacle Studio 8 to
capture DV files larger than 2GB. If you're doing MPEG2 encoding on the fly, you'll need a hardware MPEG2 encoder or a fast computer and good software.

Gints
Old October 10th, 2003, 12:46 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Oh wait, sorry. I just noticed that you're using the HD MPEG2.
I've never used HD or any capture software for HD, so just ignore what I said. Although, you may be limited by your OS and disk file format. What system are you using? Please check your disk file system type.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U