Just bought my HD10U, Need help!!!! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
All about the original single-CCD HDV camcorders from JVC.

Old October 11th, 2003, 11:38 AM   #1
New Boot

Just bought my HD10U, Need help!!!!

Hi Guys,
I just purchased my JVC HD10U and I am astounded by the picture quality...I edit in Premiere 6.5 but somehow I cannot seem to capture footage from the camera onto premiere 6.5, the capture window just shows blank but the footage plays on the camera (this is in HD Mode)
I also have Pinnacle Studio 8 and its the same thing with that program too, I try to capture HD footage and the window just shows blank. I am editing on a PC and for some reason my camera package did not include the JVC Editing CD Rom.
Please help!!!!! Do I need to purchase Aspect HD in order to see captured footage?? I am using a flatscreen Monitor which is not HD.
Please help.
Thanks.

Hritik
Old October 11th, 2003, 11:56 AM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Adobe Premiere has no native support for MPEG editing. It will not support a HDV camera like the HD10 without tools like CineForm's Aspect HD.

You can convert M2T files to HUFFYUV (avg. 25MBytes/s) around or uncompressed RGB (80MBytes/s) and edit whole in Premiere although not in real-time. There are discussions on the forum on how to do this.
Old October 11th, 2003, 12:13 PM   #3
New Boot

Hi david

Hi David,
Thanks for the info, I really appreicate it...I guess buying Aspect HD is my next step!!!
Thanks once again
Old October 12th, 2003, 09:24 PM   #4
New Boot

Hritik Roshan,

Another option besides running out and purchasing Aspect HD, the new version of adobe's Premeire, Premeire Pro, supports MPEG2 format and you could do frame accurate editing. Just a thought. It could be cheaper than buying Aspect HD. Since you already have Premier 6.5 all you need to buy is the update for about $200. Hope this helps

Matt
Old October 12th, 2003, 10:07 PM   #5
Trustee

Matt is right.

I have Premiere Pro, and I was able to do the following:

- Simply rename .m2t file extensions into .mpg and import into PPro. It will show the video, but apparently it only gets I-frames so the video plays as if it was shot at 10fps. May be good for quick view of the m2t file content.

- Good way: download HDTVtoMPEG2 (free utility) and convert m2t files into actual mpg's. Then import these mpg's into Premiere Pro. I do not get real-time playback, but apparently all frames are there.

- Best way: convert mpg to AVIs using DVD2AVI (free download) utility. If you use HUFFYUV lossless codec, file size is 2gb per minute vs. 6Gb for Uncompressed AVIs.

On my system (P4 2.4Ghz, 1G memory) PPro plays HUFFYUV sources in real time, no problem.
Old October 13th, 2003, 09:35 AM   #6
CTO, CineForm Inc.

This is all true. Aspect HD is for those want more than one stream video on frame accurate editing. People with purchase Aspect HD for the same reason people add Canopus or Matrox DV accelerators to their systems. It is a tool for increased productivity through real-time multi-stream editing, simplified work flow, compatibility with tools like After Effects and more.
Old October 13th, 2003, 09:46 AM   #7
New Boot

Questions

Hey there,
Where can I download the free utility HDTVtoMPEG2 and the DVD2AVI.
Also, by doing these conversions do you lose any picture quality?
Once Premiere Pro is installed will it see the video once I attempt to capture it from my camcorder to Premiere Pro via Firewire?
Where can I get the HUFFYUV lossless codec? Is it available for download?
Thanks for your help guys.

Hritik
Old October 13th, 2003, 09:55 AM   #8
Trustee

Hritik, PPro does NOT have capability to capture HD files from HD cam directly at this time - that's why we have to jump through the loops of multiple file convertions just to get the footage into PPro for editing.

But before the conversions you just use the cam's bundled HD capture utility to, well, capture your footage onto your hard drive before conversions.

The software you mentioned is available for free download on the Web, just search for it.

Either invest your time and do that, or invest $1200 and buy Aspect HD - however Aspect is not available for Premiere Pro at this time, as I heard.
Old October 13th, 2003, 09:59 AM   #9
CTO, CineForm Inc.

That is correct. Aspect HD is still for Premiere 6.5 while we complete to port to Premiere Pro. The Premiere Pro version of Aspect HD will be sent out free to anyone who has purchased the 6.5 version.
Old October 13th, 2003, 11:11 AM   #10
New Boot

hi

Thanks Alex,
Just my luck that I purchased my camcorder at a "not so reputable" place to save money and they forgot to include the bundled NLE MPEG-2 Editing software thats supposed to come with the camera, after numerous phonecalls I still cant get them to respond.
What is the name of the actual software that comes with it?, i'll try to find in on the web.
Thanks for all your help Alex.

Hritik
Old October 13th, 2003, 11:47 AM   #11
Trustee

You are welcome...

The Software seems to bear PIXELA Corp label, if this helps.
Old October 13th, 2003, 02:52 PM   #12
New Boot

I just ordered the software from the JVC Dealership...
Thanks for all your help guys. It is much appreciated.
Old October 13th, 2003, 09:45 PM   #13
HDV Cinema

Re: hi

<<<-- Originally posted by Hritik Roshan : Thanks Alex,
Just my luck that I purchased my camcorder at a "not so reputable" place to save money and they forgot to include the bundled NLE MPEG-2 Editing software thats supposed to come with the camera. Hritik -->>>

Something's wrong here. The CDROM is packed IN the JVC box at the factory. There was no way the dealer had to INCLUDE it. Hence, no way they FORGOT.

Perhaps they sold it and got it back w/o the CDROM.
Old October 14th, 2003, 04:16 PM   #14
New Boot

maybe so...
but I just bit the bullet and paid $150.00 to JVC to mail me the CD Rom...
JVC told me that there was no way they could send it to me for free and Broadway Photo were not very helpful in coming to a conclusion on this. Oh well...
Old October 16th, 2003, 04:35 AM   #15
Regular Crew

you bought from broadway photo?? I respect you....very brave, gambling man. Kind of like playing black jack, sooner or later you're going to bust.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U