Gr-pd1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
All about the original single-CCD HDV camcorders from JVC.

Old October 17th, 2003, 03:51 PM   #1
Major Player

Gr-pd1

Does anyone know when the GR-PD1 is coming out?
Old October 17th, 2003, 08:33 PM   #2
Regular Crew

What is that? Is it a new HD cam??
Old October 18th, 2003, 11:56 AM   #3
Major Player

No, it's just SD.
Old October 18th, 2003, 01:44 PM   #4
Barry Wan Kenobi

It's a PAL version of the HD1, without the HD mode.
Old October 24th, 2003, 06:23 PM   #5
Regular Crew

whats the point of the cam if it doesn't have HD? they'd have to lower the price a ton.
Old October 24th, 2003, 10:14 PM   #6
Barry Wan Kenobi

That is the question. But consider that even without HD, it will be the only standard-def camera that can shoot full-rate progressive scan (720x576 at 50fps) with a native 16:9 chip. So it may not be HD, but it will still be unique.
Old October 25th, 2003, 07:01 PM   #7
Trustee

Ya I think all us "hard cores" are anxious to see how this cam pans out. Could be interesting.
Ken
Old October 29th, 2003, 05:34 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Hi,

well the Gr-pd1 is now available in Australia - at a list price of $6,000 (AUS) which is about $4200 US. Are they serious?

With what amounts to a single chip SD cam with limited manual control, no HD functionality and 19mb/s MPEG2 encoding - for a grand more than a new 3-chip pdx-10?!! ($5,000 AUS).

JVC has removed any HD functionality and are still asking the same money for the camera. Do they expect to sell even one of these units?

Am I right in assuming that the difference between the HD1 and the pd1 - is SOFTWARE? I mean, they didn't re-engineer the cam to be an SD camera - they changed some software setting in eeprom to eliminate the HD functionality right? So with a firmware update, the pd1 could be made to run HD rez at PAL 25p/50i? I know this is NEVER going to happen but just let me fantasize for a second...

Here in Oz we're an odd case as we have pal AND we have HD - (where as Europe have completely dropped the ball), but we're so damn small a market that we're not worth making a 'Oz-HD' version of this camera. And I guess that will be the case for all the other manufacturers of HDV gear in the future. No PAL HDV - No 25p/50i HDV.

I guess the only thing to reccommend the pd1 is the 16:9 chip (which is irrelevant if you're laying out enough money for a pdx-10) and the nice lens (I assume THAT'S still the same on the camera) There's the progressive scan of course , but I have an $1500 JVC cam that does that already - so big phooey. But at 6K for a 1-chip SD Cam. Who are JVC kidding?

DW.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U