DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gr-hd1u-jy-hd10u/)
-   -   HD Roadshow to do HDV seminars! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gr-hd1u-jy-hd10u/16070-hd-roadshow-do-hdv-seminars.html)

Heath McKnight October 21st, 2003 06:50 PM

HD Roadshow to do HDV seminars!

I saw this link in my inbox:

http://www.hdroadshow.com/

Interesting! And they're headed to Miami!

heath

Raymond Krystof October 21st, 2003 11:29 PM

HDV Seminars in general

Heath,

I signed up for this one in Burbank, California.

http://www.dvcamps.com/index.php

Seems to offer quite a bit for the price. However, it doesn’t look like they offer anything outside the greater L.A. area.

There is a link within that site to this one that might be of interest to you and other FCP users.

http://www.heuris.com/MPEGProducts/IndieHDToolkit/index.htm

Cheers!

Heath McKnight October 22nd, 2003 01:21 AM

They are going to offer a Miami one soon, which I hope I can do. It IS during November sweeps. Maybe they'll do December...

heath

Lynne Whelden October 22nd, 2003 06:44 AM

New York's show happens on Nov.11. If it's like what a JVC rep told me a few months ago, they're going to offer discounts on package deals along with everything else. Sounds very worthwhile to me!

Darren Kelly October 22nd, 2003 09:48 AM

the Heuris product is the one I had hoped to show on our DVD. they had discussed a price of $200 or so, which I thought might be a miracle to the mac users and this camera.

At the last minute, they changed their mind and said it was $4,795.00.

I'm not sure what drugs they might be smoking, but it was apparent they were not all that interested in selling the package.

Mac users have other alternatives, which we'll talk about on the DVD.

Steve Mullen October 22nd, 2003 05:55 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Darren Kelly : I'm not sure what drugs they might be smoking, but it was apparent they were not all that interested in selling the package. -->>>

They don't seem seem to grok this market at all.

They sent me a beta copy of the Extractor months ago. It simply gives you MPEG-2 which you can import into FCP. Big deal! We were able to that last April.

What they don't say is that you can't play MPEG-2 in FCP. And FX must be rendered to be played back.

Also note that the package doesn't record back to the camcorder.

For $5000!?!

It's only a week until November. How's the DVD going?

Heath McKnight October 22nd, 2003 06:00 PM

All of that for the great, low price of $5000? What a steal!

Speaking of DVD, mine is done. Unfortunately, I don't offer instructional stuff or plug-ins for the HD10... ;-)

This camera both sucks and rules. You all know which is which.

heath

Darren Kelly October 22nd, 2003 06:15 PM

The DVD is going well and I hope to have it out on schedule still. It is expanding as people find out about it and want me to add this and that.

It comes with a free copy of Premiere to use and a free 30 day version of the plugin that ASPECT HD provides for people to try out.

Adobe asked me to include something on After Effects, which I said I would.

Also, it appears it will be a 2 DVD package instead of just one!

When you see multiple streams with animated graphics runing in real time on a laptop from Costco you will know this plugin is the one to get for PC users.

Oops, better not talk to much, I'll get myself kicked off again. :)))

Really would like some help getting your package included Steve. together we could be dynamite!

DBK

Heath McKnight October 22nd, 2003 06:54 PM

DBK,

Just out of curiousity, will your DVD be both PC and Mac compatible? The HD10, for now, is really geared towards PC.

Also, dumb question, what are you selling it on, DVD-R, DVD-9? Just curious...

heath

Darren Kelly October 22nd, 2003 07:05 PM

It will be mac and pc compatible and playable on your regular garden variety DVD player.

I disagree with the idea it's not mac compatible. It certainly is more work to use it on a mac, but I wouldn't write it off.

Aspects plugin makes the PC the easiest choice, but we will show you how to use it on the Mac too.

As to DVD-r or DVD9, not sure yet.

Heath McKnight October 22nd, 2003 07:09 PM

DVD-9 is universal, DVD-R is cheaper. You may want to save $$$ with customflix.com.

heath

Steve Mullen October 22nd, 2003 11:11 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Darren Kelly : Really would like some help getting your package included Steve. together we could be dynamite! DBK -->>>

Heath's feeling that the JVC camcorder is "PC oriented" is understandable.

JVC comes to market with a PC solution. Then arrives at NAB promoting a $1200 PC solution. And JVC now ONLY works with Apple -- who will take till next year to get a $1000 FCP 5 solution to market. Then Heuris changes their mind on a cheap Mac solution and raises the price to $5000. Yet it does LESS than my 4HDV that costs only $100!

That leads me to believe those who are seriously editing HDV will pay more than $1000 for something that gets the job done. Maybe Apple, CineForm, and Heruis understand this market better than I did.

Heath McKnight October 22nd, 2003 11:21 PM

Here's the problems:

1. For $100, you're SLAUGHTERING your competition.

2. I have yet to see a review of 4HDV.

That's why I'm not willing to buy 4HDV yet or Darren's DVD with plug-ins.

heath

Steve Mullen October 22nd, 2003 11:57 PM

The folks buying 4HDV do not come to this site. And, I'm amazed since we have the best coverage of HDV!

Google "HD10." You'll arrive at my coverage of the HD10 in 3 of the top 10 English entries. And 1 of these 3 is to my 4HDV page. (The other 2 are to my reviews.)

Folks don't find us easily:
* DVinfo doesn't make one think "HDV"
* And, many think ".com" not ".net"

So who's buying 4HDV? Think "Hollywood."

One of the dealers selling 4HDV is one of the sponsors of the LA HDV bootcamp. Their name "Hollywood Rentals."

And guess who's appearing with them? Heuris with their $5000 solution!

I do have one person working on a review. But it will be in the "Film Editors Guild" magazine -- not here.

Not sure HOW we can get more filmakers to come here.

Heath McKnight October 23rd, 2003 12:11 AM

This site blows away camcorderinfo.net, or whatever, and I understand that's a pretty major site.

I'm looking forward to the review.

heath