DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gr-hd1u-jy-hd10u/)
-   -   JVC rep - latest word (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gr-hd1u-jy-hd10u/16117-jvc-rep-latest-word.html)

Christopher C. Murphy October 22nd, 2003 06:22 PM

JVC rep - latest word

Hello all,

I went to the Video Educator's conference up here in Mass today. Ken Freed was there and gave a few presentations - one specifically on the JVC HD10U.

He said, "Apple has the files and it probably won't be until Spring that they support it." The "files" must mean the docs from JVC needed to write software.

Anyway, he wasn't to helpful regarding the Apple issue of support. He said, "It was no secret when this camera came out it didn't have Mac support." End of story - he tried to ignore me after that because he knew I wasn't happy with the staunch answer. (which, i understand its not his fault or anyone's for that matter)

He was pushing teachers towards HD and that's interesting. If teachers move to HD in High Schools and College's in the next 3 years...broadcasters and cable companies will have tons of *new* content creators out there in 2007 when the FCC forces everyone to switch. The JVC seems to be ahead of the ball with who their target market is...it's not today's users it's 2006-2007 and after. Specifically, a younger generation who hasn't even picked up a camera yet...or is just getting introduced.

That's my 2 cents for today.

Chris

Heath McKnight October 22nd, 2003 07:33 PM

Freed hasn't even called me back, so thanks for that.

heath

Chris Hurd October 22nd, 2003 10:35 PM

Ken is a busy man. That guy has a very full plate these days.

Steve Mullen October 22nd, 2003 10:53 PM

Re: JVC rep - latest word

<<<-- Originally posted by Christopher C. Murphy : He said, "Apple has the files and it probably won't be until Spring that they support it."

That's what I've been saying since day 1. Apple will support, but not until they can integrate it fully into QT and FCP 5. It takes a year for ANY big company to make these kind of changes.

This opening gives Heuris the space to ask $5000 to do what you can do with my $100 package. Maybe I should raise the price to $1000.

Heath McKnight October 22nd, 2003 10:58 PM

Don't raise it to $1000. You'll see sales drop. For $1000, I can guy a cheap PC 2 ghz and Premiere.

heath

Steve Mullen October 22nd, 2003 11:21 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Heath McKnight : Don't raise it to $1000. You'll see sales drop. For $1000, I can guy a cheap PC 2 ghz and Premiere.
heath -->>>

A cheap PC won't work. You need 2.8GHz, 512MB RAM, Premiere plus Aspect HD. Bottom line, about $3000. Heuris clearly seems to feel editors working with HDV on Mac's will spend $5000.

Heath, if you had an HD project due next week and owned a Mac and were using FCP -- would you really run out and buy a PC? I don't think so.

Barry Green October 22nd, 2003 11:21 PM

Re: JVC rep - latest word

<<<-- Originally posted by Christopher C. Murphy : broadcasters and cable companies will have tons of *new* content creators out there in 2007 when the FCC forces everyone to switch.
Chris -->>>

But just to be clear, the FCC is not mandating a switch to HD. They're saying broadcasts must be DIGITAL, but that doesn't require them to be high-definition...

Heath McKnight October 22nd, 2003 11:24 PM

If I had a project due next week, I'm screwed. I would probably use a friend's fast PC.

heath

Steve Mullen October 22nd, 2003 11:36 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Heath McKnight : If I had a project due next week, I'm screwed. I would probably use a friend's fast PC. heath -->>>

And spend $1200 for Aspect HD. And, if you don't buy it now the price will be going up to $1600 to $1800.

Plus, your friend better have a 7200RPM RAID.

Heath McKnight October 22nd, 2003 11:53 PM

It's a really fast $90,000 Avid.

heath

Steve Mullen October 23rd, 2003 12:07 AM

So you'll spend $1200 on a AJA converter to get the signal to HD-SDI.

Although if he has a FW port AND Avid's DS-HD system imports uncompressed HD AND you get a software to demux the HDV AND software to convert to uncompressed -- you should be able to edit.

Of course when your done, you won't be able to get a copy of your work for yourself. No way back to your camcorder or to D-VHS.

Heath McKnight October 23rd, 2003 12:13 AM

Good points, though likely they'll want it on BetaSP, as is still the common format in West Palm Beach. That and DVCPro, though DVCam is rising up.

hwm

Steve Mullen October 23rd, 2003 01:00 AM

Don't you want an HD copy?

I'm already thinking about how bad everything I've ever shot is going to look in 5 years when we all have 72" plasmas on our walls. That's why I want to shoot in HD from now on.

All my great footage from China, India, Korea, and Japan will look like crap blown to this size.

Christopher C. Murphy October 23rd, 2003 06:51 AM

By the way, I forgot to mention that Ken said he "happens to know" that Sony has a HDV cam in the works. He said that we'll probably see it at NAB, but won't be on the market until afterwards.

The traveling Sony truck (18 wheeler currently going around the country) was in my area recently and I asked a Sony rep about HDV - he said that Sony would probably skip the MiniDV tape and go right into optical discs.

You know - I've had some problems with the 4HDV that I bought. But, it's quite apparent that it's the only (cost effectived) solution for Mac right now. Does anyone else want to offer Steve more $$$ to upgrade the software and make it a little easier. I'm not sure of it can be made easier?

I'd be willing to shell out (up to) $500 for a seemless 4HDV that pulls in footage and makes it automatically ready for FCP editing. Is that possible Steve? If a few of us commited to paying would you write a program that does it?

Chris

Jose Cavazos October 23rd, 2003 07:11 AM

Vegas+DVD is a cheaper alternative.