Saw great footage of the HD10 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
All about the original single-CCD HDV camcorders from JVC.

Old November 2nd, 2003, 05:39 PM   #16
Wrangler

Heath,

That's right...you sent your camera to your friend in NYC for some 35 mm blowup test?...or was it just HD comparison test?

Oh...she really got to me when she said "This camera is only good for web video formats." That's when I finally walked away.

It's funny when you listen to 'so called' experts and you slowly realize that they're idiots.
Old November 2nd, 2003, 05:42 PM   #17
MPS Digital Studios

Just HD tests, 35 mm is a bit TOO pricey!

heath
Old November 2nd, 2003, 05:44 PM   #18
Wrangler

Some houses will do 1 minute for free. Had it done years ago.
Old November 2nd, 2003, 05:54 PM   #19
MPS Digital Studios

<<<-- Originally posted by Frederic Haubrich : Some houses will do 1 minute for free. Had it done years ago. -->>>

Hmmm...If I can get my hands on a Varicam tape, along with what I'll already be getting (the HD10 tapes and, if he does it, the DVX100 tapes), I just may do that.

heath
Old November 2nd, 2003, 06:03 PM   #20
Wrangler

Of course there is the inherit problems with converting 720p to Film 24fps but here's my view on this (not that you asked):

1/ The number of theatres and film fests planning on projecting HD in digital is growing every week.

2/ I beleive that the 'old' conversion technique of shooting a high quality LCD (HD Rez in this case) might be appropriate in this case vs. the digital frame scanning approach.
Old November 2nd, 2003, 06:08 PM   #21
MPS Digital Studios

I thought the HD10 footage could be viewed with no problems in 1080i HD...

heath
Old November 2nd, 2003, 06:11 PM   #22
Wrangler

Heath,

Yes it can. It will play at 1080i right into a DVHS for recording.

I was just talking about blowing it up to 35mm for theatrical release.
Old November 2nd, 2003, 06:12 PM   #23
MPS Digital Studios

Oh, gotcha.

hwm

ps-Maybe this camera isn't for 24 FPS film transfer.
Old November 2nd, 2003, 06:13 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Good question Alex--

I've logged a bunch of stuff to date on our 65" Sony ES series HD TV. Largely, the stuff is pretty locked. Thank God for the JVC engineer who thought up the aliasing thing--

I had some soft stuff outdoors where the LCD itself was harder to see. But, thankfully, the AF worked better in bright light to grab focus. I did have SOME focus issues, but so far so good. Maybe my eyes are just good:)

-Steven Galvano
Old November 2nd, 2003, 06:18 PM   #25
MPS Digital Studios

I hear there is an 80 inch HDTV. I wonder how the HD10 will look.

Dang, now I REALLY wish I had it right here. (Testing is good, testing is good...)

heath
Old November 2nd, 2003, 06:30 PM   #26
Trustee

Thanks Steven. I guess 65" is a VERY large HD monitor, so any imperfections would show...

<<<--- I did have SOME focus issues, but so far so good --->>>

I just watched Network, the 1976 movie (a good one!). Even on DVD, one of the most important scenes - Max talks to Diana, towards the end of the film - looked REALLY out of focus.

So obviously stuff happens even with large productions.

The fact that you got the focus fine fo the most part of the shoot with only flip-out LCD as a monitor, is very encouraging. Like you, I also like this thing when the image "pops" on the LCD when in focus. Even more so on HD1 - but I ran as far as I could from its edge enhancement artifacts...

<<<--- Manual focus is easy with the LCD -- even racked (often) very sucessfully. --->>>

Now, this one is contrary to my own experience... I found the focus ring to have some sort of response lag, and it seems to be impossible to reproduce the results as it ends up in different position for the same focus in different takes.

Is my camera defective or do you have a technique that works around that?
Old November 2nd, 2003, 06:36 PM   #27
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Alex Raskin : Thanks Steven. I guess 65" is a VERY large HD monitor, so any imperfections would show...
-->>>

So how would a film blowup hold up?
Old November 2nd, 2003, 06:42 PM   #28
Regular Crew

Good point - I should clarify. I never really tried to reproduce a focus pull as I never really had a "take 2".

On our film productions, our 1st camera assist cuts little paper markers and sticks them to the lens marking exact focus. I don't think the ring on the HD10 is that accurate:)

I basically just kept in mind that clockwise motion brought focus in, anf counter clockwise brought it out. My point was that I liked the response. I was able to do it accurately on the fly because I would rotate until focus poped.

I love racking -- and this is the easiest (small camera) I've done it on.

Steven Galvano
Old November 2nd, 2003, 06:43 PM   #29
Wrangler

Alex,

Yes I experienced something similar.

I did change the settings 'sorry forgot the exact name' in the menu for focusing closer to the lense and I found that I had a lot of room to play with when the exposure was optimized for short depth of field.

In some instances, I could change the focus on three seperate distances clearly.

I was impressed. I was only able to do that with the Ps Technique on the XL1. $8K adapter.

I think I misspelled 'PS Technique'.
Old November 2nd, 2003, 06:53 PM   #30
Wrangler

Yan,

Assuming (and these are assumptions I am making because I haven't tested it) the 720p frame rate issue is taken care of by transfering to film via shooting a hires LCD, footage has been color corrected (I never let a show go until it has been completely color corrected), the footage from this camera will look a lot better than DV.

For one simple reason, resolution.

The number one enemy of video to film is the lack of resolution. If it isn't there it just isn't there.

Now many have done well blowing DV to film (Blair Witch Project, Last Broadcast, Celebration, that latest docu drama shot in the middle east) but somehow, the quality of image was always part of the story in some way.

I am very excited about this camera because despite its imperfections, it has something no DV camera has, resolution.

But the true answer to your question is, let's wait and see the first print.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U