OK, is there a A/B compare of HD1 vs 3chip DV? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U

JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
All about the original single-CCD HDV camcorders from JVC.

Old December 8th, 2003, 08:46 PM   #31
Trustee

Wow thats a world of differance.
The questions that remain are wether the DVX is showing its lower resolution limits in the background or is it an effect of DOF?

With all of these head to head shots the subject is always very close. I would like to see a comparison where talent is shot 20-25 feet away with DOF not a issue. eg. person against a wall shot from 25 feet out. Then we will be able to judge if the resolution is a factor.
As it stands now we don't know if the JVC is showing higher definition due to the clarity of the background or it is simply a lack of DOF!
Ken
Old December 8th, 2003, 09:10 PM   #32
New Boot

<<<-- Originally posted by Barry Green : Okay, this old footage is now outdated -- turns out Vegas doesn't do a very sharp up-rez to HD from SD footage, so the DVX wasn't showing as well as it could.

I've re-done the footage, using DVX100 footage up-rezzed using S-SPline Pro. Ignore the old high-rez clip, and use this one as your basis for comparison instead:

http://66.78.26.9/~fiercely/DVXvsJVC/NewDVXvsJVC.mpg -->>>

before your new clip i would say, wow the hd1 is worth to own.
now i say, is there a point to own?
Old December 8th, 2003, 09:39 PM   #33
Major Player

Barry,
You didn't hit that DVX footage with the unsharp mask option on S-spline-pro, now did you? :)
I just tried it myself, and it sure looks like it was sharpened.
You don't sell used cars do you? :) -joke

Too keep it Apples to Apples, perhaps you should S-spline the JVC footage as well.
Did you break out the video to stills, process them, and then re-import them as a sequence, or does S-spline work with an editor?
I've only used it on Photoshop stills, and it does a very nice job!
-Les
Old December 8th, 2003, 10:03 PM   #34
Barry Wan Kenobi

Yeah, I found the "make the DVX blurry" option and checked it OFF.

Seriously, S-Spline Pro does a wonderful job of up-rezzing. The problem I had was that the Vegas codec I was using, to export the stills, does no chroma filtering or smoothing (so you get very sharp and rough 4:1:1 edges, as opposed to something like the Avid codec, which does a nice smoothing on those edges).

So I found a way to use my old Matrox codec and enable smoothing/filtering. Then I exported the footage as a series of stills, brought them into S-Spline Pro and batch-processed them, resizing to 1280 x 720 and using the "graphics" preset. Then I imported the stills sequence into Vegas, and imported the JVC footage, and then rendered out a 720/30P MainConcept MPG.

I was kinda blown away by the results. I mean, sure, the JVC is still a bit sharper, but I'd say the DVX is now at 80% to 90%, and all the other aspects of the image are so much more pleasing, and using the DVX is a significantly more pleasant experience than using the HD1... so now I think I'll call the camera the HDVx100... ;)
Old December 8th, 2003, 10:16 PM   #35
Major Player

I just tried S-spline pro on the JVC footage. Yikes, I mean I just don't want to see any more detail on that Las Vegas 'lady'!

It's amazing, like magic.
My point is that you can always sharpen something a bit, but it always helps it you have more *real* detail there to begin with.
It would be nice if S-spline worked directly with Vegas.
-Les
Old December 8th, 2003, 10:34 PM   #36
New Boot

are you supposed to get a better quality if you upsample the SD to hd then convert it to dvd or vcd or whatever the other lower resolution format than just converting the SD?
Old December 8th, 2003, 10:41 PM   #37
Barry Wan Kenobi

No, for DVD's or other SD output just use what you've got already. For grins I tried up-rezzing to HD and then down-rezzing to SD, and it's kind of a pointless exercise...

... whereas the JVC, when downrezzed to SD, retains its super-sharpness.
Old December 8th, 2003, 11:12 PM   #38
New Boot

how do you export the video to stills in vegas?
Old December 9th, 2003, 02:55 AM   #39
Trustee

Oh my God I am so confused now :>(
OK so without S-Spline Pro the JVC holds a huge resolution advantage.
But with S-Spline Pro the DVX100 virtually erasers this advantage.
Now this is where I am confussed. Even though they look very similar in sharpness when the DVX footage is S-Spline Pro'ed, when down sampled the JVC will hold its detail and the S-Spline Pro footage won't? How is that?

Does S-Spline Pro'ed footage have any sort of motion difficulties, or any knowen shortcummings as far a video goes?
Ken
Old December 9th, 2003, 03:30 AM   #40
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Ken Hodson : Oh my God I am so confused now :>(

But with S-Spline Pro the DVX100 virtually erasers this advantage.
Ken -->>>

No, because you can do the s-spline ( sharpen, really ) to the JVC footage as well.
There are no miracles here. Just tools.

-Les
Old December 9th, 2003, 04:58 AM   #41
Trustee

Yes, but say your delivery format is 720p. You couldn't go anywhere with the JVC, but the dvx100 would look pretty good.
Can I ask what the time frame is to render each frame with S-Spline Pro? PC or MAC.
Ken
Old December 9th, 2003, 05:17 AM   #42
RED Problem Solver

s-spline isn't a sharpener - it's a spline based image upsampler that uses some mightly clever algorithms to make a picture enlargement look a lot better than bicubic.

Also, we're still not comparing the same things - the JVC footage is sharpended to death in camera - nothing can save that in post, whereas the DVX is not over-sharpened.

I'm guessing the JVC has the sharpness always on because the picture can't stand the scrutiny without it. To get colour and luminance of a single chip you can't use all the pixels for resolution - something's got to give. Sharpness gives fake resolution, and is a bit of a band aid for lack of real detail. Before any serious comparisons between the JVC and anything else can be made, we need to see what the JVC looks like without sharpening.

Graeme
Old December 9th, 2003, 05:50 AM   #43
Trustee

" I'm guessing the JVC has the sharpness always on because the picture can't stand the scrutiny without it."

I was under the impression that the HD10 does not suffer from over sharpening like the HD1 used in the comparison. And its image holds up. I think 720p is going to give you a sharp looking image even with no sharpness enhancement from the cam.
Ken
Old December 9th, 2003, 10:30 AM   #44
Regular Crew

Actually, if you can tear your eyes away from the model's face and look at the LED numbers on the slate and the deck in the background you'll see quite a difference in the readability of the numbers between the DVX and the HD1.
Old December 9th, 2003, 03:34 PM   #45
Major Player

I beg to differ on the poo pooing of the single chip. With enough pixels, a single chip does just fine.
See example stills from any digital still camera.
-Les

<<<-- Originally posted by Graeme Nattress : s-spline isn't a sharpener - it's a spline based image upsampler that uses some mightly clever algorithms to make a picture enlargement look a lot better than bicubic.

Also, we're still not comparing the same things - the JVC footage is sharpended to death in camera - nothing can save that in post, whereas the DVX is not over-sharpened.

I'm guessing the JVC has the sharpness always on because the picture can't stand the scrutiny without it. To get colour and luminance of a single chip you can't use all the pixels for resolution - something's got to give. Sharpness gives fake resolution, and is a bit of a band aid for lack of real detail. Before any serious comparisons between the JVC and anything else can be made, we need to see what the JVC looks like without sharpening.

Graeme -->>>

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U