Hidden service menus? - Page 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
All about the original single-CCD HDV camcorders from JVC.

Old July 31st, 2005, 12:36 AM   #91
Trustee

Personaly I would rather bundle my $ into a group project like Leo's. JVC has been a corporate bit#h as far as even acknowledging or giving any respect to us early adopters. HD100 $ is all they see now, after advertising the HD10 as the filmakers choice for the last two years. Besides the JVC cable will still leave us at square one, where as Leo is proposing something that can really make the cam versatile without supporting a corp that is dropping their pants in our direction.
I may sound bitter, but truth be told I have emailed JVC corp more than once asking about reported firmware upgrades or some such that gives newer cams of the same model # improved performance. I have brought up that even people who have had repairs done have reported increased performance upon return. Never a reply. Ever.
I will personally do what ever I can to evolve a cam that I think is grounbdbreaking and under rated. I only wish JVC felt the same.
I have a strong feeling JVC is planning to reintroduce this same cam as a new generation with the improvements we lack. HD11 for the masses?
Old July 31st, 2005, 01:31 AM   #92
Inner Circle

Ken

The staff may only know what head office tells them. I emailed and called JVC about the Altasens product on their website, and they knew nothing.

I would suggest it be best to see the local professional distributor with a service centre about it, and paying them to do it, maybe as part of a service.

Wayne
Old July 31st, 2005, 02:55 AM   #93
Trustee

Good idea. I have had local JVC work done befor, I'm just not sure of the " wink factor" if you get what I mean. I know very well how things are supposed to be done, but I think it is time for the consumer to be treated as at least somewhat important. JVC as a Corp have been complete jerk-#@%'s as to supporting a group of people who by buying their product's which gave them a vote of confidence in the most primative days of HDV. This should not be overlooked, but it has. We built HDV, and JVC does not give a damn. Mr. Freed? It looks more and more like our confidace in JVC has been out of loyalty rather than education. A simple backing of these not so cheap cams would put JVC back into the respectability zone, but that seems like wishfull thinking from a company who forgets you as soon as your purchase is made.
There has been repeated evidance of firmware and hardware updates of the same model #'s but no akknowledgements as to any advancements to the very same product lines, Why? Do we not believe JVC could not come up with a successor to the HD10? Really? They were just so stuck on how to improve it ?
Or is it an example of using the early adopters to absorb the costs of putting out a new cam and pretending it is new?
My only point? The HD10 is ground breaking, and the company behind it sucks like no other. What a conundrum.

Last edited by Ken Hodson; July 31st, 2005 at 11:52 AM.
Old July 31st, 2005, 02:57 AM   #94
Trustee

PS - Sorry for the rant, but come'on. Wtf!
Old August 1st, 2005, 01:32 PM   #95
Major Player

The introduction of the HD100 might work in our favour - they might not be as protective over the triplet cams.

Let's just get HD1/0 dump to Leo somehow.
Old August 1st, 2005, 04:57 PM   #96
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Jones Senior
Let's just get HD1/0 dump to Leo somehow.
Looks like Xander is the best person to provide the HD1 dump to Leo.
Old August 1st, 2005, 05:15 PM   #97
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Lu
Looks like Xander is the best person to provide the HD1 dump to Leo.
I am also on a watch for a well-beaten or broken HD1 that I can experiment with. Let me know if you spot one!
Old August 1st, 2005, 08:32 PM   #98
Regular Crew

To keep you updated:

Tonight have unlocked the menu entries for colour bars and audio rec level indicator.
Old August 1st, 2005, 08:48 PM   #99
Major Player

Sweet!!! damn I wish I still had an HD...
Old August 4th, 2005, 10:23 AM   #100
Regular Crew

man, just filmed my wife's birthday with my newborns..indoors. in manual with nothing else set..the picture sure came out muddy.

Granted it was lit by the chandeliar..but it was bright..everything was mud.
Old October 6th, 2005, 05:21 PM   #101
Regular Crew

Any new infos about the PD1/HD1?

Marco
Old October 6th, 2005, 05:53 PM   #102
Major Player

yeah, Leo, it's been ages - have you managed to unlock anything else since unlocking the menu entries for colour bars and audio rec level indicator?

We're very excited.
Old October 7th, 2005, 12:25 AM   #103
Regular Crew

I'm very curious if there is a way to get 1280x720 out of the PD1 via firewire just like the HD1 does.

Marco
Old June 10th, 2006, 04:02 AM   #104
Regular Crew

Hi there! I am back...

It's been awhile but I am looking at GR-PD1/HD1 again. I believe there could be something done to make them better!

I have stopped the research after I was not able to get access to HD1/HD10 or their memory dump but now I had to put some logical end to it and have ordered a new HD10.

For the last year I was shooting with EE completely turned off and I like the effect so much.

My biggest problem is that the camera that I have (PD1) was bought second-hand and I believe was not colour-adjusted properly - colour saturation changes with the luma. I.e. when exposure level drops, colours seems to become more vibrant. Exactly like if you had linearity problems in luma vs chroma channel on an analogue equipment.
This, obviously, makes chroma noise more pronounced in the dark areas...
Old June 10th, 2006, 09:04 AM   #105
Inner Circle

Hi Leo

Welcome back.

Could be the extra poor low light sensitivity of the JVC sensor. With the GR-DV3000, lower light produced unbalanced colour (unless you use the presets) but mostly grey, that seems like the test frames of the HD10 too. On cheaper cameras there is a trick to increase gain and saturation in low light. The way the JVC sensor works makes red noise worse as well.

I have been putting out feelers for a low priced secondhand JVC PD1/HD1/10, but no response.

Anyway, have you seen my thread here on JVC mod ideas:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=64636

Another camera that could produce better results then the JVC with modification, is the Sanyo HD1 for $799, and it is probably not even the best one coming.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U