First impressions: HD10 vs. Varicam, from Jon the DP - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
All about the original single-CCD HDV camcorders from JVC.

Old November 10th, 2003, 12:01 PM   #16
Major Player

This is getting better by the post! HD cam heaven..

Troy
Old November 10th, 2003, 01:23 PM   #17
Regular Crew

To see how good the JVC is you need to test it together with the DVX on one end and the Varicam on the other end. The DVX needs to be tested in 30p. Varicam needs to be converted to 30p. The DVX must not be tested in 16:9, or with an anamorphic adapter. Without the 3rd camera being tested in parallel, you don't have enough reference points. It would be also nice to include the new Panasonic 900, in 16:6/30p, which should fit between the Varicam and the HD10. I would really love to see a test like this. Previous tests against CineAlta were interpreted here as to how close it is to that format. But without additional reference points, this type of statements are meaninless.
Old November 10th, 2003, 02:53 PM   #18
MPS Digital Studios

The DVX100/Varicam/HD10 test is impossible, as Jon's DVX100 is out on rental. But when it comes back, I'll have him do a test with the HD10, per your recommendations.

heath
Old November 10th, 2003, 02:58 PM   #19
Major Player

lighting the same for all tests?

Will it be possible to conduct these tests with the same lighting?
Since lighting is key on the quality, it won't be fair to use different lighting on different cams.
Just a thought,
-Les
<<<-- Originally posted by Heath McKnight : The DVX100/Varicam/HD10 test is impossible, as Jon's DVX100 is out on rental. But when it comes back, I'll have him do a test with the HD10, per your recommendations.

heath -->>>
Old November 10th, 2003, 03:01 PM   #20
MPS Digital Studios

He's shooting the film and putting the HD10 next to it. Of course, Jon can't control the gamma levels on the HD10 like he can on the Varicam, but he says it's still coming out good.

I think he did something yesterday that was a straight up test with the two cameras, same lighting, etc.

heath
Old June 22nd, 2004, 01:57 PM   #21
Major Player

Possible rental solution?

Panasonic has a HD1200A deck that can output HD-SDI from the VariCam to an Apple PC equiped with FCP HD via firewire.

Maybe we can find someplace that may rent these so we can finally get to see the comparison shots?.....

Troy

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U