DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gr-hd1u-jy-hd10u/)
-   -   First impressions: HD10 vs. Varicam, from Jon the DP (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gr-hd1u-jy-hd10u/16870-first-impressions-hd10-vs-varicam-jon-dp.html)

Heath McKnight November 9th, 2003 12:50 PM

First impressions: HD10 vs. Varicam, from Jon the DP

Okay, in the brief 10 minutes talking to Jon the DP Friday night (while I was working a 14 hour day, d'oh!), he gave me a couple of impressions. An extensive review will be posted up some time this week.

1. One scene they shot was in a mahogany bar with white guys wearing dark suits and white shirts. And it was lit to be "dark," like a typical bar. So he had some "issues" with the HD10, but that's because the Varicam's gamma control can be adjusted and the HD10...Well, it can't. :-)

2. He said he wants to test the HD10 with his DVX100 (it's rented out right now) to see which camera is sharper, but he claims the HD10's image is "razor sharp."

3. The controls suck, but that's obvious. he said the +/- 10 was lame, as was trying to adjust the shutter, having it change when we adjusted the F-stop. MANUAL MANUAL MANUAL (hear that, JVC, etc.?!?!)!

That's all we really talked about. He said the HD10's image was razor sharp, which is a HUGE plus. He also wants to grab a shot or two on both cameras of a well-lit, more colorful scene (as opposed to a slightly dark, mostly black and white settings and costumes scene) to test the HD10 and color.

More ASAP! (And if I got any of this wrong or forgot something, as I was REALLY tired and busy, too, I will correct per Jon's requests.)

heath

Christopher C. Murphy November 9th, 2003 03:16 PM

Thanks Heath (and your friends) - you guys rock!

Chris

Heath McKnight November 9th, 2003 05:51 PM

I just wish I was in NYC, not WPB, FL.

heath

Chris Hurd November 9th, 2003 08:42 PM

I'd rather be in WPB, FL than Chicago where I just came from -- man, it's getting cold up there.

Let me know when you've got some clips ready, Heath, and I'll send ya the FTP info.

Daymon Hoffman November 9th, 2003 09:49 PM

i would like to see native clips if possible. Not down rezzed ones. Please. *beg*. :D

Heath McKnight November 9th, 2003 11:52 PM

I'll ask Jon, because he's downconverted the HD10 video to 480i (I think).

I think he was gonna clone them; there might be some problems with the Varicam direct footage (ie, native) with the (c) holders. I don't think they mind the downconverts. Filmmakers get sensitive about that! I'll double check, though. Jon will have to submit those clips; maybe making jpegs of the frames is best, size-wise.

I'm not expecting any tapes until the end of the week.

heath

Daymon Hoffman November 10th, 2003 12:02 AM

Thanks Heath. Just be good to have some footage for comparison from a "virtually imposible to get" camera for little ol' me. Plus i'm sure some other guys would love to compare 720p with 720p even though we know it'll be a wh00pin'.

Heath McKnight November 10th, 2003 12:06 AM

Yeah, 720p $150,000 camera vs. 720p $3200 really spells it out for us! ;-)

I've never worked with anything more advanced than the pricey HD cameras on the floor of the TV station I work at.

heath

Daymon Hoffman November 10th, 2003 12:12 AM

Damn dont stress just how low my chances are of ever even seeing one of those cams :P. But yeah seriously though, be good to be able to get my hands on a bit of native footage to be able to compare and use as a benchmark for all these future HDV Cams we are going to get! (we wish maybe?) :-)

Heath McKnight November 10th, 2003 12:57 AM

You will, esp. when the new ones come out and the "old" ones are cheap to rent. $1500 a day is a LOT of cash!

heath

Martin Munthe November 10th, 2003 04:16 AM

The list price for the VariCam in $63K. It's an amazing camera that IMHO outshines most 1080p competitors in 720p. Check out the sharpness:
http://www.pixelmonger.com/hd_assets/cam27V.jpg

Daymon Hoffman November 10th, 2003 07:47 AM

Is that for real Martin?! oh my... that just about puts my G3 to shame :D

Heath McKnight November 10th, 2003 08:57 AM

Yah, but the Varicam, with proper outfitting, can cost around $150,000. My buddy Jon talked me OUT of buying one earlier this year. Glad he did! I need to buy a house first!

heath

Chris Hurd November 10th, 2003 09:05 AM

You know the whole "new house -- vs. new VariCam" decision can be a difficult one, but if you break it down by priorities, then you'll make the right choice. A VariCam would just about pay off my mortgage.

After we see what Heath and Jon the DP have to say, I was just thinking, I know a VariCam owner in L.A. and I could probably get them an HD10 loaner for awhile and get their impressions about it. If y'all are interested. After this current deal, of course.

Heath McKnight November 10th, 2003 09:12 AM

That would be a great idea!

One thing I forgot to mention, Jon also works with the CineAlta, so I'll see if he can do some comparisons with it and the HD10, too, eventually.

heath