can DV deck dump HDV data to computer? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
All about the original single-CCD HDV camcorders from JVC.

Old November 10th, 2003, 02:54 PM   #1
Major Player

can DV deck dump HDV data to computer?

I was wondering if it's possible to dump the video data from the JVC HD cam with a 'regular' DV player?
Since you are not really 'playing' the video stream during a dump, maybe it's possible, after all it's just data.
How long to video heads last on DV these days? 100 hrs?
-Les
Old November 10th, 2003, 04:29 PM   #2
Warden

A general figure that is often mentioned in terms of overall life of heads before noticeable image degradation is 1,000 hours. I don't think any manufacture releases hard data on this subject so it's more or less just peoples experience and hearsay. Most cameras in this class don't even have hour counters. So, it's really next to impossible to give factual accounts.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old November 10th, 2003, 05:05 PM   #3
Barry Wan Kenobi

I'm 99.999% sure it won't work. When DV first appeared we tried to see if an NTSC DV camera could stream a PAL DV tape into a PAL editing system, and it wouldn't. So I don't see there being any way a DV camera will be able to stream the MPEG2 data from the JVC.

But hey, someone with both cameras, feel free to try...
Old November 10th, 2003, 05:11 PM   #4
MPS Digital Studios

I put a screw-around tape into my XL-1 to dump some video to. I was screwing around on with the HD10, two weeks later I'm cueing up the tape in the XL-1 and anything done in HDV was basically snow playing in that camera. But it was okay in the HD10.

heath
Old November 10th, 2003, 05:44 PM   #5
Major Player

Did any data get to the PC ? Maybe it still gets the file?

-Les
<<<-- Originally posted by Heath McKnight : I put a screw-around tape into my XL-1 to dump some video to. I was screwing around on with the HD10, two weeks later I'm cueing up the tape in the XL-1 and anything done in HDV was basically snow playing in that camera. But it was okay in the HD10.

heath -->>>
Old November 10th, 2003, 06:08 PM   #6
MPS Digital Studios

I figured if it's having problems seeing it from the XL-1, then I doubt I'll be able to capture it from the XL-1.

Why don't you give it a shot?

heath
Old November 13th, 2003, 07:34 AM   #7
Major Player

It is simply not compatible, not the same resolution (or frame rate for SD mode) but most importantly, not the same encoding/decoding scheme. DV camreas are made to read/write DV streams, like an old DVD player will not play general DVD-Rs, or a mac encoded disk will not read right on a PC unless you posess an adequate traduction program. It is probable that future DV cameras might be compatible with MPEG2TS streams. Surely we will see new miniDVdecks witch will be DV and MPEG2TS compatible but not yet.
http://www.fictis.net
info@fictis.net
Old November 13th, 2003, 07:46 AM   #8
Contributor

It might still be a DV stream, just that it does not contain visible image data. This would be the case if you see 'snow' in another camera instead of black, blue or grey. So it might actually work if somebody say snow. Please try it. Even if it does not 'play' on a PC (or Mac) without the right software, you might be able to archive on the PC and send it back to a DV tape, all without the HDV camera! Please somebody give this a try!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U