DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gr-hd1u-jy-hd10u/)
-   -   JVC Contradictions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gr-hd1u-jy-hd10u/17413-jvc-contradictions.html)

Glenn Gipson November 21st, 2003 09:40 AM

JVC Contradictions

When the HD1 and HD10 first came out, JVC was saying that these cameras were strictly intended for “home” use, hence why the camera could not run at 25p or 24p. So now I open up DV magazine and see a JVC ad promoting the JVC HD Cam as a tool for movie makers, visa the JVC HD Road show for movie makers. What gives? I would buy this camera, because I actually like the image. However, I’m not going to lock my movies out of the PAL or theatrical markets by shooting on 30p. At one point I was warm to the idea of shooting with this camera due to the Landmark Theater digital projection deal, but after a while I came to the conclusion that it would be a bad financial investment to shoot with this cam. Do others feel the same way?

Barry Green November 21st, 2003 11:35 AM

Yes. I mean, people kept talking about Landmark, but Landmark has, what, around 150 digital theaters in the country? And there are something like 20,000 movie screens in this country? That means that by shooting 30P you're locking yourself out of 99.9% of the potential market.

And something like 70% of the world is PAL...

If it was five years from now and digital projection and HD were universal, it'd be a different story. But of course five years from now the follow-up camera should be out, offering true manual controls and solving all the gripes about the current one.

For moviemaking the HD1/HD10 are a "pass". Wait for the next one, hopefully with 25P or 1080/60i or 50i support.

Louis Grimaldo November 21st, 2003 01:05 PM

I prefer the image of the HD10u over any of the other SD cameras including the DVX100. Transferring to Film is just not a realistic option for most of us low budget filmmakers. If you don't have a famous actor in your movie then the chances of a theatrical distribution is very slim indeed. Not being able to go to PAL is the issue that really worries me. When I go for video distribution not being able to go to the PAL market will really limit my options. Is there any way to get 30p to 25p?

Chris Hurd November 21st, 2003 01:49 PM

How the manufacturer positions the camera, and how people use it, are often entirely separate things. For instance, the Canon XL1S is strictly a *consumer* item and is marketed by their consumer video division. And yet, people use it in a professional capacity all the time. Just because JVC says their cams are strictly for home use, doesn't stop anybody from doing what they want with it, such as commercial shoots, theatrical distrib., etc.

Glenn Gipson November 21st, 2003 03:56 PM

I hear you Chris, but I just find it hard to believe that JVC, coming out with the first sub 4k HD camera, couldn't forsee that movie makers would want to use this camera to.

Heath McKnight November 21st, 2003 04:43 PM

Because they sold a ton of the cameras to indie filmmakers. And they weren't expecting to sell that many cameras to begin with. Esp. not to indie filmmakers. Hence the change in filmmaking.

I had to shoot my latest film on an XL-1 because the HD10 was in NYC. Of course, now I'm cropping in FCP 3 to do "poorman's letterboxing," but I wish I had the HD10. But that's life. So, as a filmmaker, I now prefer the HD10 to anything else. And I don't go to film, because of the costs.

heath

Martin Munthe November 21st, 2003 05:40 PM

I'm very excited about this camera for independent filmmaking too but I live in europe where the JVC is limited to 576p. For theatrical distribution I would choose NOT to go out to film if I have a choice. I have still to see a 35mm projection that looks better than a digital quality projection if the the material is of digital origin.

Stephen L. Minor November 23rd, 2003 07:34 PM

The people will always decide in situations like this. If filmmakers are using the camera, and people want to see their films then theater's or whoever will find away to show it.

Furthermore, there are digital projectors for screening video in movie theaters. Because 99.999% of the theaters will never screen anything other than film (or whatever video format the country has) they only have film projectors. But, the projectors do exist and can be installed. Of course there not set up to do it right now, who would refit their moviehouse for cameras that just came out? Or, wouldn't even have been out, at the time they needed to begin, for the theaters to have them by now.

Heath McKnight November 24th, 2003 12:36 AM

As a digital filmmaker, I run into the non-film prejudice. I really dislike snooty, film using directors who say my stuff isn't totally great because we shot it on an XL-1, and not 16 mm. But dem da brakes...

Of course I DON'T mean film-using directors are snooty. Just certain ones that have shot on film. Just to clarify!

heath

Chris Hurd November 24th, 2003 11:25 AM

In the long run, *content* above all else, is king.

Glenn Gipson November 24th, 2003 12:55 PM

Chris, I agree...to so some extent. I mean, even if one does a great movie on the JVC HD Cam, their content will be distorted by the motion problems when going to PAL, if they find a way to go to PAL at all.

Ken Hodson November 24th, 2003 01:31 PM

If you content is in high enough demmand, a transfer can be done. Fields Kit and Magicbullet combined with Twixtor can get the job done. As well if one really does a great movie on their HD10 then a distributor will have proprietary systems for conversion.
The bottom line?
Worry about making the flick.

Glenn Gipson November 24th, 2003 01:39 PM

There is a guy over at another site who claims to have converted 30p to 24p,

Check it out

http://www.DVXuser.com/cgi-bin/DVX/Y...num=1068237783

Chris Hurd November 24th, 2003 03:20 PM

Glenn, that's not just "a guy," that's Clayton Farr, who is a member here as well.

Kenn Christenson November 24th, 2003 03:58 PM

By far the cleanest conversion from 30p to 24p, I've seen, is made through using Revision fx's Twixtor. Anyone interested in this type of conversion should check out the demo version of the plugin at: revisionfx.com.