Has anyone actually made a movie with this camera? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
All about the original single-CCD HDV camcorders from JVC.

Old December 3rd, 2003, 09:15 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Has anyone actually made a movie with this camera?

I see alot of detailed technical discussion here on the qualities of this camera, but I'm really interested to know if anyone has actually made a movie with it. (aside from home movies of kids and pets) I have a few technical questions also.

I'm fascinated by the fact that this camera even exists! I'm also interested in expanding my personal and professional experience into the area of filmmaking.

The sum total of my filmmaking experience has been creating a few training videos for a large industrial company. By trade, I'm actually a software developer, and made the first movie as part of a software development project. The first one I did was edited with iMovie, but later on we used FCP. The customer liked it enough to contract with me to make a few more. Granted, these are industrial training videos for a very very limited audience.

Now I'm interested in making a 'real' film and really like the idea of doing it with this camera in the 720p format. The idea I have is a documentary, which I think can be done nicely with many of the other fine 3 CCD cameras available. (Most of the other stuff I did was done on a Canon GL1) One of my thoughts was that if the content was good, it might even have more of a chance of being noticed because of this format. It seems to me that there is a total lack of HDTV content out there, aside from the Discovery Channel, some HBO stuff and sports.

I'm sure I sound very naive when I ask this, but would a film made with this camera, in the 720P format, be suitable for broadcasting on HDTV networks?

The specifications say 'non-broadcast quality', but considering the lack of content available, if the content were good would that really matter?

Could the MPEG2 transport streams be converted to a format that would be more suitable to broadcasting?

Could the 720P be down converted to anamorphic 16:9 DVD? - I LOVE anamorphic DVD on both my rear projection and front projection home theater equipment.

Does anyone think that a movie made in this format might be 'more noticible' to broadcasters over the HUGE library of indepently made films created with DV?

Any comments you have would be greatly appreciated.

I know these questions will sound very naive to experienced filmmakers, but somehow the idea has stuck in my head that this format might give a novice filmmaker like myself an 'edge' over all the other DV filmmakers out there.

The software business isn't very good these days, epscially with the new competition coming from India. Though I don't anticipate commerical success, I want to try to re-invent myself as a filmmaker. I've been reading alot (books and magazines) on the subject and am really fascinated by it. I just finished Scott Billups book and really believe what he says - the HD is the future format for content.

I've always been an early adopter and love new technology. If nothing else maybe I can just amaze and delight friends and family with this techno-toy.

Thanks in advance for your comments.
Old December 3rd, 2003, 01:42 PM   #2
Barry Wan Kenobi

Ask Jay Nemeth, here on this board -- I know he's just finished D.P.'ing a short with it, so I'm sure he'll have loads of first-hand experience and knowledge for you!
Old December 3rd, 2003, 04:06 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I just finished a short film with this camera, currently it's in post. I had an experienced hollywood DP show the footage is very high quality.

Most your questions depend on the NLE system used for editing the content. You can shoot with any cam and make it "broadcast safe". As well as they can upconvert footage to make it broadcast resolution.

I'll answer any questions I can. And yes this camera gives a huge edge over Prosumer DV content. REAL PRO DV will put this camera to shame. But, then your bank account will be wounded if you have to buy PRO DV cams.
Old December 3rd, 2003, 08:14 PM   #4
MPS Digital Studios

Jon Fordham is DP-ing my short film later this month.

I thought Betsy Moore was doing one...

heath

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U