Lighting the HD10u at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
All about the original single-CCD HDV camcorders from JVC.

Old December 8th, 2003, 08:18 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Lighting the HD10u

Wondering what people are using for lighting with the HD10u??

Went to Home Depot yesterday and picked up several cheap Halogen work lights. Using the halogen setting and the HD10 they look completely professional (have to remove the grill on the front of the lamps). The small clip-on 250W lamp costs $10. The floor lamps (500W) cost about $20. You can get two of the 500W on an adjustable stand (up to 6') for $40-50. With some of the black aluminum roll stuff (forgot the name), it's possible to direct the light as needed. Planning on putting the whole set-up on an X-10 remote dimmer system for more control.

Any tricks i should know about?

Exteriors of NYC in the snow looked pretty sweet on the cam. Is there a forum to post clips?
Old December 8th, 2003, 10:33 AM   #2
MPS Digital Studios

I wouldn't use a Lowell Basic 3 light kit, like I have! As my friends say, that's a TV news kit! If you can swing it, go for something where you can focus the lights.

heath
Old December 8th, 2003, 01:34 PM   #3
Regular Crew

You'll most likely need to diffuse your lights. If you're fairly tight to your subject you can try bouncing the lights off foam core (making sure not to get the foam core too close to the light.) You also might want to get something like tough frost gel or tough spun from a video or theatrical lighting supply company. You'll have to rig a way to hang the gel or spun far enough from the light to avoid warping or burning the material. Unless you've already purchased the dimmer, forget it. You'll be able to control your lights by bouncing or gelling them and you won't have to worry about the color temperature shift caused by dimming your lights.
Old December 8th, 2003, 10:31 PM   #4
Major Player

>>I wouldn't use a Lowell Basic 3 light kit, like I have! As my friends say, that's a TV news kit! If you can swing it, go for something where you can focus the lights.<<

Just get some Black Wrap for that Lowell kit.
Old December 9th, 2003, 12:04 AM   #5
MPS Digital Studios

You still can't focus though...
Old December 9th, 2003, 08:50 AM   #6
Regular Crew

i had thought i would need gels, but am surprised how good the image is with the halogen setting in the HD10u. Sure, for different looks, i'll experiment.

the dimmer is sweet. can control the fill, the key, etc. might change color a little but hasn't been a problem.

the cool thing is, these lights are ultra cheap, sturdy (weather proof), and work well our cam. yeah, i can diffuse or bounce, etc. might need a c-stand or something analagous. just trying to keep the cost and size of package/crew to a minimum.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U