JumpStart Guide To HDV Acqusition & Production - NOW SHIPPING!!!! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
All about the original single-CCD HDV camcorders from JVC.

Old December 18th, 2003, 03:32 PM   #16
MPS Digital Studios

That's what people need to have when they use this camera, be aware of the pros and cons, but be optimistic that you CAN get great stuff.

Otherwise, you'll be frustrated when shooting. I know I was.

Oh, and get rid of the thoughts of shooting DV; it's just not the same! And other thing I had to get over was shooting dogme 95 and news/eng style. With an XL-1.

heath
Old December 18th, 2003, 03:56 PM   #17

<<<-- Originally posted by Allyn Fratkin : i received the package today!... very professional looking packaging. started to check it out, then realized that my dvd player doesn't play dvd-r (or dvd+r or whatever it is). but i do have a dvd writer on my pc to watch it... will check it out soon. -->>>

Question for Darren Kelly:
Are these not professionally-replicated DVD's? Or did you burn the copies on your own? What type of DVD are you shipping?

- don
CREATE and NETWORK with http://www.bosfcpug.org
and also http://fcpugnetwork.org
Old December 18th, 2003, 04:00 PM   #18
Major Player

We are currently shipping DVD-Rs, which are professionally burned.

They play in most DVD players and all computer DVD drives.

We will be going to pressing in the new year. I am still making some tweaks and changes to the DVD, so DVD-R is the best thing.

Cheers

DBK
Old December 18th, 2003, 04:19 PM   #19
MPS Digital Studios

If you get enough orders, you could always go DVD-9. Something like $2 a pop, per disc, 1000 discs minimum order.

heath

ps-Probably a 2 - 3 week turn around, though...
Old December 18th, 2003, 05:01 PM   #20
Major Player

I'd like to go DVD9 and put everything on one disk. It would make it harder for theives to copy.

DBK
Old December 18th, 2003, 08:00 PM   #21
Trustee

Hey, I got the DVD today...watched the first 20 minutes or so. It seems to be informative...nicely done. I can't wait to get into the meat of the DVD. The beginning 3-4 minutes don't really cover much other than talking about what we really know...what's coming up on the DVD and what's available on the DVDROM. Kind of a waste since we knew this stuff already - that's why we bought the DVD.

Other than that, I think its really well produced. (One typo with the word "commonly" - you spelled it wrong in the on-screen graphics.) Just wanted you to know, so you can fix it for your next production run.

Thanks for making something understandable. It beats anything out there as far as getting to the heart of the camera...the footage and how to shoot.

More details to follow - that's all I have for now.

Chris
Old December 18th, 2003, 08:20 PM   #22
Regular Crew

<<<--

Thanks Again Raymond. May I use your testimonial on my web page?

DBK -->>>

Darren,

Absolutely!!
Old December 18th, 2003, 08:37 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Darren,

I don’t know if your already doing this, but I would definitely see if retail dealers that already sell these cameras would also stock and sell your “Jumpstart” video. It seems like people that are trying to decide on the camera and those who have taken the plunge would be eager to view such a video. Obviously these camera’s aren’t for everyone and viewing this video would certainly help people make a wiser purchase decision as well as ease frustration after purchase.
Old December 18th, 2003, 08:42 PM   #24
Major Player

Thanks for the suggestion. I am working on this now. I was at DVExpo West last week and 2 dealers were really interested. Some distributors are also considering it as are JVC themselves.

We've sold several hundred at this point, so it is going well, but I want to see much more sales.

Thanks and keep those ideas coming.

DBK
Old December 18th, 2003, 09:01 PM   #25
MPS Digital Studios

More than copies of my film! ;-) Good work!

heath
Old December 19th, 2003, 10:07 AM   #26
Trustee

(A little off topic) Heath, I saw an ad for your movie in Moviemaker magazine. Has that worked out for you? It looks like the only ad on there for a movie...says, $150 a month.

(On topic) If I were you Darren, I would keep in mind that most of the people that were interested in this camera have bought it. The next wave of significant purchases will be for the new HDV cameras from Sony, Canon and the like. I'd keep everything on ice and then morph the HDV Training DVD into general thing...but, use all the HDV cameras on the market. It probably won't be more than 3 in the next 1-2 years anyway. This would open up your market 3-fold in the next few years. The JVC cameras have accomplished their purpose - let's get ready for the flood gates.

Just so you know what I mean - I will take the loss and sell the JVC this coming year (90% sure I will anyway) and get the next generation of HDV. I'm pretty sure the people interested in buying your DVD in the new year will be eyeing more than the JVC.

This is something to think about - you've done the ultimate for the early adopters. It's going to be 2004 in just 13 days.....your market will explode in 4 months...NAB baby. I can see it now...new HDV cameras will be shown and the JVC HD10U will go for $1400 on ebay...mine first! Until then, I'll be shooting my short film with it.....

Murph
Old December 19th, 2003, 10:38 AM   #27
Major Player

>>>>>It's going to be 2004 in just 13 days.....

Has everyone received their Jumpstart DVDs but me?

I've been checking my mail since 11/1, (before the announced delay) so I am looking forward to seeing it before the Super Bowl.

Brian
Old December 19th, 2003, 10:43 AM   #28
Major Player

Brian,

They went out on December 8, so I would expect you to have it by now. If you don't see it Monday, I'll send another

DBK
Old December 19th, 2003, 12:42 PM   #29
Regular Crew

I also haven't received it. How was it sent? UPS ground, USPS book rate, or ???
Old December 19th, 2003, 01:49 PM   #30
MPS Digital Studios

<<<-- Originally posted by Christopher C. Murphy : (A little off topic) Heath, I saw an ad for your movie in Moviemaker magazine. Has that worked out for you? It looks like the only ad on there for a movie...says, $150 a month. -->>>

It's working all right. If you want to talk more about it, send me an email, heath@mpsdigital.com! $150 a month, I don't quite understand...

heath

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U