More JVC vs. up-rezzed DVX clips - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
All about the original single-CCD HDV camcorders from JVC.

Old December 17th, 2003, 06:41 PM   #31
Major Player

Holly crap. the Chroma noise on the JVC is tremendous. This has to be the disadvantage of the single CCD. Anyone who said anything about single CCD being good for digicams thus good for vidcams is just wrong.

After seeing the wild west wide shots, the JVC shots contain a wee bit more detail than the DVX, but the edge enhancement on the JVC looks like crap. And what happened to that blue sky in the JVC?? I assume that clip wasn't color corrected? It just looks totally unatural and looks very much like its got a stylized color correction done to it.
Old December 17th, 2003, 06:59 PM   #32
Major Player

"it has to be the single chip making that chroma noise..."

What basis you people have for this??? Don't you realize that there are a lot more variables in this cameras design than 'chip count'?
I highly doubt the extra blocking is because of the ccd. It is much more likely that it's the mpeg2 compressor. There is a way of masking that, by some post processing of the chroma channel. That does not change detail much, as the luminance channel holds what people see as detail.
I've done some restoration work on film where I used the luminance channel from the film ( at 2K res ) and the chroma from a video tape ( 720 res ). It looked fine. The film had some water damage, but it's lum. chan was still ok.

-Les
Old December 17th, 2003, 07:03 PM   #33
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Yang Wen,
That is the look you get when you don't white balance. You should ignore the color of the sky, it has more to do with the camera setup than the camera itself. Edge Enhancement is on HD1 not on the HD10. These tests can only prove that the HD1 has more chroma noise than the DXV, and the JVC has better resolution and lower luma noise. Little else can be concluded.
Old December 17th, 2003, 09:38 PM   #34
Barry Wan Kenobi

<<<-- Originally posted by Mark Grgurev : Was the footage uprezzed from a Pal DVX100 or NTSC -->>>

NTSC.
Old December 18th, 2003, 12:48 AM   #35
Trustee

Barry - Did all of the DVX shot use the mini35?
Old December 18th, 2003, 01:47 AM   #36
Barry Wan Kenobi

None of these clips used the mini35, they were all shot with the DVX and anamorphic adapter.

We shot the "matrix" spot on the mini35, but we took a few comparison shots with the anamorphic adapter, and those are the shots I used in these comparisons.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U