What other HD cams are coming out? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U

JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
All about the original single-CCD HDV camcorders from JVC.

Old January 7th, 2004, 02:00 PM   #31
CTO, CineForm Inc.

<<<-- Originally posted by Heath McKnight : Isn't this what the HD10 does? SD chip uprezzing to HD? Or am I totally wrong?

heath -->>>

Single chip consumer DV cameras typically have about 680,000 effective pixels using R,G,B pattern (ignoring the still photo abilities which can inflate the pixel count.) This JVC camera has 1,180,000 effective pixels using a L,C,Y,G pattern. In 16:9 HD mode the JVC cameras uses 840,000 pixels (native), a SD equivalent in 16:9 only uses around 500,000 pixels (that is digitally scaled without an anamorphic lens.) The 70% more pixel count and the improved luma resolution gives this CCD a good wack at entery level HD. Now this might be a re-tasked comsumer still CCD that can output all it 840,000 at 30fps (I have no idea), but the important thing to note is that this is not uprezzing SD to HD.
Old January 7th, 2004, 02:52 PM   #32
MPS Digital Studios

David,

Thanks for the answer. It makes sense (for once...:-).)

heath
Old January 13th, 2004, 07:56 PM   #33
Regular Crew

Evan, congrats on the baby!

I did the same thing you're doing. I didn't listen to the smart folks on this forum. I convinced myself the edge enhancement issue was not a big deal. I agree with your evaluation of HD10 features completely too. You won't use the viewfinder and the mike jacks, well, who cares unless you've got the mikes to plug into them. But...

I purchased mine just before Christmas. I ran four tapes through it and got a good feel for it, learned how to control it and learned how to use ND filters and CP filters for outdoors, learned the effects of shutter speeds, etc. and read and tried everything I could from this wonderful forum. I play my video on a 115" HD screen (1280 X 1024 scaled and compressed in the vertical on a projection system that resolves 2500 X 2000 and has a 300 MHz bandwidth).

I have to say that I'm selling the HD1 now because the edge enhancement IS painful. If you watch the results on anything other than a regular sized TV, you will be painfully aware of the edge enhancement and it is not correctable. It is OBVIOUS as heck if you get a bit of sky in your shot, or shoot a snow covered landscape, or anything contrasty! Don't let anyone tell you different. The problem is you will end up subconciously looking for these edge problems (and finding them!). It's very probably that it will end up reducing the enjoyment you get from your video. You can do things to get it under control when filming, but you WON'T be doing those things when you try and spontaneously capture your new baby's beauty. There are no re-takes either...

I don't exactly regret my purchase of the HD1, because I got a "Free" D-VHS VCR and I was able to truely evaluate the HD1 and find out it was truely lacking in that one (and only one, IMHO) department. It has other issues, but they are all mute by comparison. It's a nice useable camera, but the extra money is well worth getting rid of the horizontal insertion of THICK black lines! My VCR is no longer free, however, because I'm going to loose at least $200-$400 selling the HD1 (purchase price of $2099 and resale is not so good!!!).

HD10, here I come! Gosh, I really hope the edge enhancement is much less of a problem! (please?)

So, look at it this way. You are borrowing the HD1 and evaluating it so that you can get a discount on your D-VHS VCR. You'll see about the edges... Make sure you dump the HD1 while you still have a chance (and before you really need the camera)!!!

- GLupien
Old January 13th, 2004, 08:24 PM   #34
MPS Digital Studios

Gordon,

Good assessment on the HD1. I've heard similar stories, unfortunately.

heath

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U