DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gr-hd1u-jy-hd10u/)
-   -   ND Filters: One more quick question (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gr-hd1u-jy-hd10u/19685-nd-filters-one-more-quick-question.html)

Heath McKnight January 12th, 2004 02:58 PM

ND Filters: One more quick question

I am about to buy a .3 and a .6 ND Filter from B&H.

On both, they are "grey;" is this something I want? I'll provide links and let me know if that's okay.

Here's the .3.

Here's the .6.

Just so you know, I didn't see anything that said ND .3 or .6, this is what B&H told me to look up.

I also found this and this. Would they be better, though it says 85 mm?

Thanks,

heath

Rob Lohman January 13th, 2004 08:02 AM

I'm not sure what gray is about. Perhaps send B&H an e-mail
or a phonecall?

Heath McKnight January 13th, 2004 09:18 AM

Good point.

hwm

David Newman January 13th, 2004 11:27 AM

I'm guessing that "gray" simply points out that this is Neutral Density (ND), is equally reducing light across the visible spectrum, therefore "gray". All the ND filters simply look gray (how else could they look.)

Jeff Donald January 13th, 2004 05:05 PM

If you do a search here you'll find out that some ND filters are not so neutral in color rendition. Most notable Tiffen ND filters have a very pronounced warm tone to their image. So, once again not all filters are created equal. I use a Nikon ND filter for several lenses, and a B+W ND for the rest. On occasion I also use Cokin, Lee or Singh Ray filters (square size).

Heath McKnight January 19th, 2004 03:33 PM

Jeff,

What kind of Cokins?

heath

Kevin A. Sturges January 27th, 2004 04:22 PM

A few weeks ago I tried out that neat trick of combining two polarizing filters someone had suggested on here. It works great! You end up with an infinitley variable ND filter that goes from about x2 to almost totally black.

I took one lens out of it's holder and stuck it inside the ring of an 812 warming filter. (Two lenses inside a single ring), and then put the other circular polarizer on in front of it. The 812 helps offset the cold, kinda greyish look the filters have, and because I'm now only using two rings, I don't get any vignetting.

The only very wierd thing that took me awhile to get, is that not only did I have to flip ONE of the lenses to get it to work - I had to flip BOTH to find just the right combination. One way wouldn't get much darker, but would change the light from red to blue. If I flipped just one lens, it wouldn't really do anything. When I got both right, it worked great. Bizzarre.......(poor human brained me).

Now, if only the sun would come out so I can try it.

Jeff Donald January 27th, 2004 05:06 PM

Heath, I'm not sure I understand your question.

Troy Lamont January 27th, 2004 06:46 PM

Quote:

Heath, I'm not sure I understand your question.
He was asking what kind of Cokin filters to you use.

Troy

Heath McKnight January 27th, 2004 07:48 PM

Thanks, Troy! That's my question!

heath

Jeff Donald January 27th, 2004 09:18 PM

I use Cokin graduated ND filters and an assortment of colored grads.

Heath McKnight January 27th, 2004 09:25 PM

Thanks.

heath