E03 Errors on GR-HD1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
All about the original single-CCD HDV camcorders from JVC.

Old January 14th, 2004, 02:09 PM   #1
New Boot

E03 Errors on GR-HD1

Does anyone know the root cause of E03 errors? I am getting the message on several recently recorded tapes while I try to capture them to disk. The screen instructs me to eject the tape and put it back in, which I do and sometimes everything goes fine from that point on but often I get the error again within a minute. I have tried 'retensioning' the tape by ff to end and rewind but doesn't seem to help.

I don't know if it is more a camera condition or a camera and tape condition. If it's a tape condition, JVC tape, how do I mitigate?

At this time I am unable to capture some footage from tape to disk. I am loosing confidence in the camera.

John
Old January 14th, 2004, 03:10 PM   #2
MPS Digital Studios

Have you tried calling JVC about this? Don't lose faith yet; I've had problems with JVC tape in my old XL-1. But this may or may not be a tape issue...

Call JVC tech support ASAP!

heath
Old January 15th, 2004, 10:02 AM   #3
New Boot

I called support, they said contact the service center who hasn't returned multiple calls yet, over a week now.

I figured they were all at ces, but now they should be caught up

:(
Old January 15th, 2004, 10:38 AM   #4
New Boot

I left a couple more vmails at the Houston service center again.

Anyone have an email directory for JVC?
Old January 15th, 2004, 02:40 PM   #5
New Boot

I finally got calls, 2, back from the Houston service center :)

Unfortunatly they don't have the service equipment for this camera yet so they refered me to the Georgia service center.

They have a 3 week backlog :( and they don't have a loaner camera to exchange.

I purchased a 4 year extended warranty with the camera. I guess it might be time to see what I really bought.

I called JVC tech support again, just in case they could help me without sending the camera off to neverland. This time they referered me to their pro support line :)
Old January 15th, 2004, 03:10 PM   #6
New Boot

JVC must be swamped ....

The JVC tech escalated my issue to hq and told me I should get a call back within 48 hours.

Anyone have any ideas about what the E03 error means? Anyone else having the same error message?

I have been fairly religious about using only JVC tapes, although I used some panasonic and a few sony tapes a couple months and about 40 tapes ago. Someone told me to stick to the same tape because of different formulations causing problems.
Old January 15th, 2004, 03:28 PM   #7
New Boot

JVC HQ tech support just called back :)

E03 is usually a tape issue. He suggested to re-tension new tape before recording. He also suggested trying an alternative brand of tape, no direct suggestion on a brand though.

If that doesn't work, then they need to examine the camera.

I guess it is time to pick up one of those minDV rewinders. Do any of them have 're-tension' as a automatic function? Any battery powered ones?
Old January 15th, 2004, 04:44 PM   #8
MPS Digital Studios

I like Sony, but we have the new tape forum; click on over for more:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/forumdisp...?s=&forumid=64

heath
Old January 16th, 2004, 05:56 PM   #9
New Boot

I got a warning from someone about not going back and forth between sony tapes and other brands. Something about the Sony tapes have a different emulsion type and going back and forth will cause rapid build up on the video heads and other contact surfaces with the camcorder. Requiring more frequent service center cleanings.
Old January 25th, 2004, 10:34 PM   #10
Regular Crew

I use Sony DV tapes without any problem. My HD1 likes Sony tape very much.
Old February 10th, 2004, 02:25 PM   #11
New Boot

An observation....

I seem to get the tape related problems when I am shooting for an extended period of time and powering from the ac adaptor. The problems travel with the tape, so once a tape has problems, everytime I try to play it back I get problems in the same areas of the tape.

I noticed that when running the camera for an extended period, 1 hr plus, from the ac adaptor, the camera casing gets rather warm near the power input and tape transport mechanics. I am speculating that what might be happening is that the camera is heating the tape too much or the analog electronics are getting to hot and corrupting the analog signal being recorded onto the tape. I doubt that this unit does an immediate write verification, it only has one recording/playback head.

I have started powering the camera completly off for 5-10 minutes after each 30-45 minutes of recording and I have not seen the problems with any more tapes. I change tapes at each break as well. I also give the camera a power off (unplugged) for 5-10 minutes after dumping each tape to the computer.

I have since recorded about 20 hours of basketball footage with this procedure and have regained my confidence in the camera. Now if only I could read the tapes that seem to have been damaged.

I would like to hear from anyone that has the same experience.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U