HDV is on the air - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
All about the original single-CCD HDV camcorders from JVC.

Old February 4th, 2004, 03:16 PM   #16
Trustee

Hey Bob, any word on posting that promo video for us to drool over?

Murph
Old February 4th, 2004, 03:41 PM   #17
MPS Digital Studios

I need to propose this to my boss...

I'll do it right now!

heath
Old February 4th, 2004, 07:37 PM   #18
Regular Crew

HD10U for promotion.

I too am a promotion producer who just ordered the HD10U for my own personal use and am curious to see the results of your promo.

I would really love to be able to use the camera for on-air projects. (Unfortunately because of union restrictions, I'm not sure if it will be possible for ME to shoot footage with the camera.)

I was curious about on thing that you said.. Does the image really look comparable to film? We shoot a lot of image spots on 35mm and I'd love to be able to compare the two.

I haven't receive my camera yet so I haven't been able to do any comparison on my own.

Looking forward to seeing the images.

-Chris Gordon
Promo Producer
KABC-TV Los Angeles
Old February 4th, 2004, 07:45 PM   #19
MPS Digital Studios

You got me beat, in the # 2 market. I'm in #39! ;-)

I wouldn't say it's comparable to 35 mm, but it's great, under fantastic lighting conditions. Avoid darkly lit scenes, because it's showing up with chroma noise (as seen on my short film, which I'll have pix up soon, sorry for the delay).

My boss in Creative Services is going to let me do a promo on the HD10 after sweeps. I'm too focused on what we're teasing right now.

heath
Old February 4th, 2004, 10:57 PM   #20
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Glen Vandermolen :
I understand it isn't yet possible on a Mac based editor.

There are several solutions for editing JVC HD material on the Mac.
Paul Mogg has the most concise low cost workflow explained in this thread http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...threadid=16812
Hueris has a expensive (~$5000.00) method for the Mac but will have a under $500.00 package out soon.

"And what exactly is a "HD capture utility?"

All of the current solutions that I know of do not allow for capture within the NLE so you need to use a either the program that came with the software or virtualDVHS on the PC or DVHSCap on the Mac

Does the video come through on a firewire connection?
Yes in mpeg2 transport streams using a "HD capture utility".

Is there a particular editing format anyone can recommend?

People seem to like Cineform's solution for the Premiere on the PC, do a search for cineform here and you will get lots of information, David Newman who works for cineform contributes quite a bit to the board.
-->>>
Old February 11th, 2004, 03:32 PM   #21
MPS Digital Studios

<<<-- Originally posted by Glen Vandermolen :

I've been reading this forum for months, and I'm still confused. -->>>

Glen,

What are you confused about?

heath
Old February 11th, 2004, 09:49 PM   #22
Space Hipster

<<<-- Originally posted by Heath McKnight : <<<-- Originally posted by Glen Vandermolen :

I've been reading this forum for months, and I'm still confused. -->>>

Glen,

What are you confused about?

heath -->>>

Heath,

Mainly about how to import the HD video into a non-linear editing system. We currently use AVID Media Composer 1000s, in both PC and Apple systems. There seems to be many issues surrounding editing the HD video. My strongest skills are in videography. I've had the full-time editors at our shop read some of the postings in this forum to see if we can make HD work. So far, it's rather inconclusive.
Also, I was under the impression that you could shoot in HD mode and digitize the video in DV mode, making it easier to edit, with the trade-off being a drop in resolution. It's true that in both video and film, the better the image's original acquisition, the better it will look down the line. Now I understand downconverting HD to DV isn't possible with the HD10.

As a videographer, the thought of shooting in HD is exciting. Imagine that li'l ol' $3,000 camera having better resolution than my $45,000 Beta SX rig. I recently purchased a HD tv set. Man, I'd love to see the images I can shoot with the HD10 on my tv.
Old February 11th, 2004, 10:57 PM   #23
MPS Digital Studios

Post up those editing questions in our HDV Editing section!

heath

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U