DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gr-hd1u-jy-hd10u/)
-   -   switching from dv to hd (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gr-hd1u-jy-hd10u/21044-switching-dv-hd.html)

Michael McConnell February 8th, 2004 04:09 PM

switching from dv to hd

Hello hd forum,

I have been really impressed by the quality of hd cam's. I 've been using a sony-vx 2000 for my projects for the last past 14 months. I'm thinking of buying the JY-HD10U, I'm still in the research phase and plan to take a trip over to bhphoto to get the feel of it.

1st question:What are the positives & negatives of HD cam's

2nd question:Just bought a G4 Mac (FCP1) (today as a matter of fact) to edit on, what is the difference format wise?

Christopher C. Murphy February 8th, 2004 06:39 PM

I say get the camera if you are ready to get into the new format. But, if you are the type who hates to buy something only to see something better come out a short time later...be careful. I'd wait a few months because new stuff might be coming.

The pros: It's better than DV - every camera out there. It may not have every button needed or whatever, but overall the word is JVC's camera makes a better image than any DV cam. I own the cam, have used every other one out there and I agree. Also, the camera is shooting a format that will widely accepted in the next 1-2 years. You'll be on the bleeding edge..ok, that might be over now. You'll just be on the edge.

The cons: Editing solutions - PC's it's a little pricey, but there are a few options depending on your existing setup. The Mac world has it tough, but there are some talented and giving people on this forum that offer free solutions. If you are Mac (and you are) - make sure you scour this site for the freebies. If you decide you want supported software - check out Heurtis.

Overall - I think that JVC's camera was worth the money because bottom line is the camera makes a great picture under careful shooting. Also, now that it's been out a year or so...and no one else has put theirs on the market...I feel that JVC was ahead of the curve and deserved my money. My opinion is..if a company tries to seriously make a better product - support it if you can. They'll probably keep it going through the years. I think Apple is a company like that..not perfect, but overall better than the competition.

Hope this helps - also, don't forget to checkout the lack of manual control on this camera. It might be something that really ticks you off. It hasn't bothered me that much because I shoot dramatic stuff, but I take my time.

Murph

Heath McKnight February 9th, 2004 02:00 PM

You can do a search around dvinfo.net for some answers on pros and cons.

Also, for editing on FCP (you need at least FCP 3, but go with 4 for the power that program offers), check out this link at our HDV Editing solutions page:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...threadid=16812

heath

Gabriele Sartori February 10th, 2004 01:28 AM

Michael if you have windows

There are solutions for this platform as well. Vegas Video is terrific and does HD. I just started but the switch from Premiere took very little time. I can make a project and then export it in DVD quality with AC3, HDTV 1080i, HDTV 720p or all of them. Isn't it fantastic? From tonight (I got help here in the forum) I can even export in HDTV format to the D-VHS VCR. Life can't be better than this !

BTW I have a dual Athlon 2400+ 1GB of memory and about 500GB of SCSI RAID 0. Vegas Video is fantastic on it. I hope soon to move to a Quad Opteron 848 with 8GB of memory it will be even better.

Regards
Gabriele

Gabriele Sartori February 10th, 2004 01:29 AM

Didn't realize you just bought a new Apple.....

:-)

Michael McConnell February 11th, 2004 12:44 PM

Nice-I appriciate the feedback. I'm actually leaving out to go to BHPHOTO today. I'm a sucker for new quality technology, so I'll eventually cop a HD cam.I am concerned with the lack of manual controls but, I guess thats a question I'm going to have to ask at BH. I let you guys know how it went today.

Heath McKnight February 11th, 2004 02:41 PM

Just remember, Michael, before you buy do as much research, like reading this site and others of what users and pros (and reviewers) think of the HD10. You'll find out limitations and advantages quite easily.

Then, make that decision whether you'll buy it or not. Don't just pick it up because it's new technology. I've made a career out of that!

heath

Gints Klimanis February 11th, 2004 02:58 PM

>500GB of SCSI RAID 0.

Gabriele,

How many disks in your RAID 0 ? Do only two disks offer
a performance difference in Vegas? I'm looking to set up
such a system, with 2-4 250 MB disks. Thanks for any advice.

Heath McKnight February 11th, 2004 03:27 PM

Gints,

Post that question up in the HDV Editing page! That way, all HDV editors will find it easily! :-)

heath