Finaly settled with the HD1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
All about the original single-CCD HDV camcorders from JVC.

Old February 28th, 2004, 05:23 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Finaly settled with the HD1

After more than 1 month with the HD1, the camera passed the test. With a bit of Sun this camera is a real killer. The HD10 may be even better, I don’t know, but I’ve to say that for the money it’s not possible buy a better camera than the HD1. Also, it is important to say that after some practice and with a bit of sun, I realized that it is absolutely not true that this camera hasn’t powerful colors. Colors are different from the Canon colors of my GL1 but they are probably more natural and yes, they are punchy.

The camera is not perfect if by perfection we mean the results of a $50.000 camera. Nobody at the moment beat the resolution of this camera though and with some learning, both highlight overexposure and low frame rate artifacts (these not related to the camera btw) can be totally minimized.

I applaud JVC for having put in the market this great little camera. Next time I hope they put some more manual controls but everything else make me very happy. It’s a keeper!

Regards
Gabriele Sartori
Old March 1st, 2004, 12:04 AM   #2
Major Player

Thanks for the mini-review. I'm totally satisfied with my HD1 also. If you haven't already get a couple of ND filters and a polarizer, it makes shooting easier and also enhances the picture quality tremendously.

Troy
Old March 1st, 2004, 08:25 AM   #3
Regular Crew

suggestions for ND filters for HD1?

Hello Troy,
do you have any suggestions for a good matte box/ cheap filter set for this camera, Im a PAL user of the camera with the PD1 which is essentially the same camera. (packaging and case's are the same dimensions) Also I am wondering if it is worth forming some kind of users petition to JVC trying to get them to make firmware updates available for the camera, this would allows us manual control over the camera and may even allow us PD1 users to shoot in HD!

Just think, if we can turn on HD resolution on the PAL version of the camera, the PD1. We can all shoot 720P at 25FPS!!!!! I would definetly be very interested to try that out and im sure many others would too!

Regards,

Sam
Old March 2nd, 2004, 11:01 AM   #4
Major Player

Sam,

I'm not a pro user, sorry. I just use it for everyday stuff, family, outings, vacations, etc.

I have a polarizing filter, a UV/Haze filter and a couple of ND filters and that's it.

I'm just using the matte box that came with the camera.

Troy
Old March 2nd, 2004, 11:15 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Troy,

Im not a pro video person by any sence of the term, im coming into video from a 3D animation background and im gonna be using my PD1 for visual FX shots, im really just doing lots of research into shooting techniques etc at the moment.

Im a little confused regarding filters and polarizers. How do you attach them to the matte box that comes with the camera, do you have to get specific sized filters? I couldnt see how they'd attach to the box that comes with the camera, i cant see any thread or clamps, sorry for probably stating the obvious, I just really dont know much about filters!

Is it as simple as a bit of duct tape or a piece of string?!!

Just thought that their may be a more elegant method of attachment. Also could you reccomend me a decent polarizer and ND set to start off with? (ie Cheap to mid range)

Cheers Mate.
Sam
Old March 2nd, 2004, 01:44 PM   #6
Major Player

The lens has 52mm threads on it.
-Les
Old March 2nd, 2004, 07:40 PM   #7
Major Player

Sam,

If you remove matte box that comes with the camera you'll see as Les has pointed out, that it has a 52mm thread ring around the lens. This will allow you to attach polarizers and other filters to the front of the camera. You can't really see it behind the matte box.

You can pick up inexpensive polarizers from just about anywhere that sells camera gear. I happened to pick up a Tiffen polarizer and UV Haze filter from my local best buy for $15.

My ND filters are a little better and I ordered them online at B&H. They were Nikon ND filters and ran about $20 bucks a piece.

Most filters have an inside and an outside thread so you can 'stack' filters on top of each other to get the desired effect.

The good thing is that when you want to move up and advance, the camera also has a ton of pro level options available for matte boxes and filters that have been discussed previously on this forum if you do a search.

Troy
Old March 3rd, 2004, 04:55 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Les and Troy,

Thanks for your knowledge, Im gonna go and check some out at the weekend!

Sam

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U