GR-HD1U/JY-HD10U Wish List - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U

JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
All about the original single-CCD HDV camcorders from JVC.

Old March 4th, 2004, 12:20 AM   #16
MPS Digital Studios

Balanced audio, if it's not already listed, plus what everyone else has said.

heath
Old March 4th, 2004, 01:50 AM   #17
New Boot

I Love the camera in general.

love the twisting grip. be nice if it went further.

The auto focus needs to be changed to a different system.
the contrast technology has big flaws.

ie. I was shooting a 2 shot- wide. behind the people was a green palm against a white wall. the auto focus kept focusing on the plant especially when I zoomed in for singles.

when you run and gun, it is very reasuring to be able to hit the auto button when all else fails. (PD 150 autio focus is good example.)

the focus ring on this is camera is a bit sloppy as we know.
Old March 4th, 2004, 04:14 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Yes...

24p would be a smart move on JVC's part. Simply adding 24p capabilites would attract the independent DV filmmaker crowd who would jump at the prospect of having an HD camera.

Also... I agree with the others on this board that the still image features on this camera are a waste. Give me two pots where I can control ch1 & ch2 audio... and I'm sold.
Old March 4th, 2004, 07:56 AM   #19
Major Player

I still say (even tho' the meeting has already taken place now) put HDV into the tiny palmcorders like the PC-105. Get HD to the masses and watch the tide really turn. As it is now, the format is strictly an elitist medium. Make it available at Wal-Mart and you'll see NTSC and DV disappear overnight. Otherwise this is just going to go the way of ED Beta. The major manufacturers are in a panic now because they want to protect their HD domain they've carefully carved out for themselves. Maybe it's going to take a non-player like China to blow the doors wide open. So I guess I'm coming to the conclusion that JVC is not capable of starting a true HD revolution. With so many self-interests at stake, they're going to do whatever it takes to marginalize and categorize HDV so that we're always wishing it were more than it is.
Old March 4th, 2004, 09:06 AM   #20
MPS Digital Studios

Lynne,

I agree, though I never thought HD for the masses would be here last year. I thought we were still 5 years from it. I used to think, back in 1999 when I bought my XL-1, that one day instead of DV, it would be HD.

heath
Old March 4th, 2004, 12:23 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Very interesting food for thought there, Lynne.
Old March 5th, 2004, 10:06 PM   #22
Wrangler

Thanks for everyone's feedback.

I spent a few hours with JVC and they are listening.

They hear us loud and clear and I'm sure the next model will be outstanding.

See you all at NAB!
Old March 5th, 2004, 11:25 PM   #23
Major Player

Did you manage to get them to admit to the political nature of feature sets on these consumer cameras?
Or did they play dumb?
What did they say?

Thanks
-Les
Old March 7th, 2004, 09:38 AM   #24
Wrangler

Actually Les, although I cannot really speak about the specifics because I am under an NDA, my general sense is that they are genuinely interested in making the best camera possible.

My message to them was, fix the problems on this camera (Chroma noise, lack of manual controls, audio, edge enhancement, etc.) enhance it (24p,60p,30p, variable speed zoom –slower, better focus control from viewfinder, user friendly power switch, etc.) and you will sell many, many cameras.

Mr. Musha, who is responsible for product development in Japan, took many notes and was very interested in what the users had to say. Let’s hope that they can deliver a new model that will blow us away for the same price range.

By the way, regarding the audio XLR issues on the camera: They are fully aware of the problem and will give me instructions to relay for sending your camera in for repair.
Old March 7th, 2004, 11:45 AM   #25
Major Player

I've worked with high end Japanese film equipment makers before, and I've found that they are extremely polite and nod to everything you ask. It is a cultural thing.
It's too bad marketing departments and the patent holders block what might be possible.
-Les

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U