OIS question? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
All about the original single-CCD HDV camcorders from JVC.

Old March 4th, 2004, 02:37 PM   #1
Regular Crew

OIS question?

OIS question?

I’ve had my HD-10 for some time now but only recently taken critical notice of the OIS performance. I quite honestly cannot see a difference with it on or off. I’ve read that the function is pretty subtle but shouldn’t I see some benefit? I’m starting to wonder if it’s working at all. Can anyone tell me if they see any visible stabilization with the function on?
Old March 4th, 2004, 05:53 PM   #2
Major Player

Raymond,

We did a side by side comparison on the DVD and when you zoom in with OIS on we did see a noticable difference.

On a tripod with it on, you could see the OIS provided some blurr because OIS systems don't know what to do when the camera is stable.

I thought you bought the DVD, so take a look at that section again.

Cheers

DBK
Old March 4th, 2004, 07:54 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Darren. I’d totally forgot about that sequence on the JumpStart DVD. Looks like it’s time for another viewing.
Old March 5th, 2004, 03:28 AM   #4
Major Player

OIS poor on JVC, true.

I had the same reactions as you, I thought it was broken. I think it's just that Sony has such good stabilization that I just assumed that the JVC would be about the same.
It would be very interesting to mount both the HD10 and a late model Sony to a board and zoom then to about the same field of view. Then with tape rolling, shake and jostle the board.
Compare side by side in a edited split screen.
I know the JVC does *something* but I think it is poor on OIS.

When you distill it all down, it usually turns out to be patents that companies have. The JVC uses image data for stabilization ( they mention in the manual that certain images will foil the stabilization system ) and the Sony uses accelerometers. Maybe the JVC uses accelerometers as well, I'm not certain. if the JVC does not use accelerometers, then that's the main reason it's OIS is screwed, IMO.

Heck, shaky cam is in style... ;)

-Les
Old March 5th, 2004, 02:52 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks again Darren and Les

Darren, I viewed your JumpStart video again and realized that it makes a good refresher course as well. The example pointed out the advantage of using OIS handheld especially when in telephoto mode. Indeed the function is much more apparent when shooting telephoto. As a matter of fact, I believe I see the point that Les made about JVC using image data verses accelerometers. Image stabilization seems more aggressive at the extreme of the zoom range than at wide angle. This I believe is the tradeoff between using image data verses accelerometers. Although not as stable, the JVC seems more predictable when panning then Sony’s, which can delay or over pan the subject (basically float a bit). Probably boils down to personal preference like most things.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U