35mm lenses on HD10? - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
All about the original single-CCD HDV camcorders from JVC.

Old June 25th, 2004, 09:54 AM   #76
Trustee

Attn Roger Collier

Roger, what about the GG you ordered - did it work? No markings? Please advise...
Old June 25th, 2004, 03:14 PM   #77
New Boot

Microlens focus screen from B&H

Alex,

The microlens focus screen came in and it has no markings whatsoever. I am having a little trouble getting my GR-HD1 to focus on it. I have a +10 macro between it and the camera. It looks like I will need to add one more +10. I’ll have to order one.

I did make an interesting discovery though. Try this. Just screw a +4 or +10 filter on the front of your camera. For close-ups you get instant short depth of field. The depth of field shortens with the increase in magnification of each filter. It is a pretty dramatic effect. If you try to zoom in all you will get is a blur.

I will post a clip when I get another +10 macro.

My earlier post:

I found a microlens focus screen without any markings here:

http://www.intenscreen.com/products...rmat_contax.htm

I ordered it from B&H for $79.95 here:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...4&image.y=5
Old June 25th, 2004, 05:33 PM   #78
Trustee

Roger, many thanks for the fast reply.

I'll order the microlens GG from B&H today.

> I did make an interesting discovery though. Try this.
> Just screw a +4 or +10 filter on the front of your camera.
> For close-ups you get instant short depth of field.

Actually, even without the macro-lens, if you just move to the telephoto end of your HD10 lens, the depth of field becomes rather shallow.

However, I have a huge problem with that as folows:
1. Servomotor that controls HD10's Focus is exceptionally bad and does NOT allow hitting any repeatable marks.
2. This method forces me to use an unknown lens angle.

So if I wanted to have a shallow DOF in the scene where I use say 50mm lens and focus racking, it seems that the only way to go is a mini35 adapter as it resolves both problems ## 1 and 2 as above.

> I am having a little trouble getting my GR-HD1 to focus on it.
> I have a +10 macro between it and the camera. It looks like I
> will need to add one more +10. I’ll have to order one.

What size is your GG then? With +10 macro on my HD10, I can focus all the way into the GG that is about 1/2 size of a 35mm film (not that I need it to be that small, of course).
Old June 25th, 2004, 05:46 PM   #79
New Boot

intenscreen

Roger and co -

I looked into an Intenscreen custom order over on the static thread, but got stuck when they asked me for a focal length spec for the screen (didn't know how to factor in all the glass), and then I got sidetracked on an Optosigma gg.
For all I know the screen focal length might not even be an issue, but I didn't have one to specify or a screen to test. In any event Roger, the increased magnification, though probably needed, may not fully solve the problem.

These lists sure have their effect; as far as I can tell, Hoya +10 filters are out of stock across the country - everywhere I've called has them backordered. Thefilterconnection.com said the distributor THK is waiting on the next container ship. Meantime, you might want to stack a few smaller macro's to check if you can actually achieve focus on the screen. I'm very interested and would love to move forward with a custom order if it works out and we can enough people in - please let us know what happens.

and... what are your thoughts on mounting it? Does cutting it to fit a round fiter ring seem possible?
thanks -

- Damion
Old June 25th, 2004, 06:06 PM   #80
Major Player

Guys,

Has anyone tried a white rubber balloon tightened? I remember we tried that once to adapt lenses to a small miniDV camera and it worked like a charm. It was a really temporary fit but it could work, I doubt there is grain...
http://www.fictis.net
info@fictis.net
Old June 28th, 2004, 07:46 AM   #81
Inner Circle

Here is a Naive question, as I haven't got to read through the 500 pages of the 35mm adapter threads. How does the focal length on the Microlense work, how does it effect the image?

Also is it possible to design a microlense that will narrow the image down to senor size to eliminate light loss for us, and get rid of the macro?

I have located another possibility for microlense tech. A number of sensor chips have a microlense infont of them to narrow the light down onto the senor pads of each pixel. If they can make them that small for 2/3rd inch chips then they could make them small enough for 35mm.
Old July 28th, 2004, 03:52 PM   #82
Regular Crew

Roger,

What ever happened with the focus screen you bought from B&H? Did it end up working, or were there problems with it?
Old July 29th, 2004, 02:26 PM   #83
New Boot

Justin,

The screen works really well with no noticeable grain. I ended up using 3 +10 macro filters to get my HD1 to focus on the screen. But finally my 35mm adapter is complete and it works beautifully. I unscrewed the handle on the top of the HD1 and added a tripod adapter so I can flip the camera upside down. I will be out of town next week but when I get back I would like to post some samples. Is there a place on this site that I could post them? It would be nice if all of the samples were in one place.

Roger
Old July 29th, 2004, 03:00 PM   #84
Major Player

Roger,
Sounds great!

Please try to post a sample that shows how the grain looks: A lot of people post either still images ( totally useless for looking at fixed pattern non-moving grain ).
The other error is posting video that is resized down to DV resolution, or video at a low bitrate that removes grain.
I recommend 6 megabits/sec Media 9 video for the JVC.
Slow pans are the best to show off the system.

-Les
Old July 29th, 2004, 05:17 PM   #85
Regular Crew

Roger,

This sounds really cool but I can't help but wonder what this looks like on the camera. Can you post a picture of the setup?

Thanks,

Bryan
Old July 29th, 2004, 05:25 PM   #86
Regular Crew

WOW

so now maybe we have the best camera (for this price range) ever?

i think the mess about doing adaptors for DV is the resolution. we all know everything looks great, but on tv resolution.

JVC HDV CAMS has a lot of great things about it. LES DIT told me that footage from the JVC transfered to 35mm looks great! and the 24 frames output from 30p doesnt looks jerky.

so, the only upgrade now is the mini35 lens adaptor for it,

everyone wants to know, IS IT WORTH ? IT REALLY LOOKS GOOD, THE DOF, AND WITH NO GRAINS?

thanks!!
Old July 30th, 2004, 09:53 AM   #87
New Boot

Les,

Could you list the steps involved in converting the mpeg file created in Mpeg Edit Studio to a 6 megabits/sec Media 9 file?
And where would you recommend that I send the clip so that it can be posted?

Roger
Old July 31st, 2004, 12:31 AM   #88
Major Player

Two possible ways:

1: Use an editor that can directly save to the media9 video ( Vegas, I think Premeire Pro )

2: Save the video to an AVI file of some other sort, with minimal or no loss. Like the Huffman codec, it's lossless. .....or uncompressed, if you have space. Then use the free Media Encoder from Microsoft to encode the AVI file to the media9 WMV file. You have to set the bitrate and size in the encoder.

As far as posting it. I think that Chris Hurd (sp?) the guy that runs this forum can help you post it here.
Or find someplace that has free web space. A lot of DSL and internet providers giv you free about 10 to 100 meg of web space that you can FTP the file up to, and share it that way. You don't have to make a whole web page or anything, just use the place to save it as a file!

I hope that helps!
-Les

<<<-- Originally posted by Roger Collier : Les,

Could you list the steps involved in converting the mpeg file created in Mpeg Edit Studio to a 6 megabits/sec Media 9 file?
And where would you recommend that I send the clip so that it can be posted?

Roger -->>>
Old August 2nd, 2004, 10:26 PM   #89
Regular Crew

hello! anyone?

please moderators, help roger to post the clips from the mini35 adaptor for HD10.

this is revolutionary

ciao
Old August 3rd, 2004, 06:46 PM   #90
Regular Crew

Roger,

How do you have your focus screen mounted? Can you post pictures of your set-up?

Also, if you don't have a place to host your clip and/or pictures, I can host them for you. I have up to 25 MB worth of web space if you need.

Also, if encoding is giving you trouble, I can direct you to my ftp server, so you can upload the mpeg that the camera exports, and I can convert it to WM9.

Let me know if I can help.

Justin

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U