Mysterious Green Ring at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
All about the original single-CCD HDV camcorders from JVC.

Old April 14th, 2004, 03:23 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Mysterious Green Ring

So I just got back from a ten day cruise around the Caribbean & Central America and I decided that this was the perfect voyage to put the HD1 to the test.

The majority of the footage looked pretty good. (With the help of ND filters, a good polarizer, a soft con filter, gradients etc... etc...) Some of the whites looked a little blown out AND I had a few instances with chroma noise issues, but for the most part the footage was acceptable...

EXCEPT... when I shot sunsets. For some strange reason, I got a green ring around EVERY sunset that I shot. Then I remembered a post a few months back with a film producer who noticed the same mysterious green halo around a candle shot in one of his films.

I tried changing WB settings, changing filters - and nothing worked. Is this a shortcoming of the single chip design??

-Chris Gordon
Promo Producer
KABC-TV
Los Angeles
Old April 14th, 2004, 03:56 AM   #2
Outer Circle

Could it be the sun's reflection from the filter?
Old April 14th, 2004, 04:02 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I shot it every which way you could imagine. One take was "clean" with no filters on the lens. I still got the same result.

I'm trying to figure out a way to post a still shot from the footage so that you all can see what I'm talking about.
Old April 14th, 2004, 04:05 AM   #4
Outer Circle

Thanks.

If you want, send me 1 pic, not too big, and I'll post it on one of my sites and place the link here.
Old April 14th, 2004, 04:42 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Here is an 11Mb mpeg of the green sunset:

http://www.angelfire.com/biz7/plasma...reensunset.mpg

***Right click on the link and select "Save Target As"... then open from your desktop.
Old April 14th, 2004, 07:58 AM   #6
MPS Digital Studios

Chris,

Couldn't open it; could you maybe put up a jpeg of one of the frames and provide a link?

Thanks,

heath
Old April 14th, 2004, 08:52 AM   #7
Major Player

Chris

I've shot MANY sunsets with HD10 and never saw anything like that. Extreme highlights cause "star filter" effect, and EXTREME highlights cause a green line down from the highlight. I would think the sun that low would not cause that effect though. All my sunsets were shot with only a UV filter, MWB set to "sun", and exposure set to one or two notches below auto.

Hope this helps,
Old April 14th, 2004, 10:38 AM   #8
Major Player

You know, the renowned French film director Eric Rohmer, made a film about exactly this phenomenom, it's called "The Green Ray" and the premise is that just as the sun is setting, a green ray appears from the sun just before it sinks below the horizon, and that if you kiss a girl just at this moment, while it's happening, you will be in love!
Absolutely true...and maybe this is what you captured??

Have fun

Paul
Old April 14th, 2004, 12:52 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Green Sunset

Here's the "green ring" in a jpeg file format.

http://www.angelfire.com/biz7/plasma...reensunset.jpg
Old April 14th, 2004, 01:09 PM   #10
Regular Crew

I don't think this is the Green Ray or Green Flash effect captured. The so called green flash occurs momentarily right after the tip of the sun has disappeared below the horizon. Maybe what was captured here was the JVC's hybrid complementary primary digital filter at work, mistakenly reading a certain wavelength as green.

Perhaps the same effect as reported here?
Old April 18th, 2004, 01:32 PM   #11
Major Player

Our HD-1 reads purple Christmas lights as green. I thought it was probably to do with that strange phenomenon you might have done as a kid on a regular TV--where if you shoot a green object with the camera biased toward green, then play it on tv and adjust the TV's hue to green the object turns pink, almost so green it's not green anymore, as if it's traveled so far on the color wheel it's reached the beginning. We're all getting a little poetic on this problem--kinda nice:)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U