Confused at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U

JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
All about the original single-CCD HDV camcorders from JVC.

Old April 21st, 2004, 12:16 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Confused

Hello Everybody,
I have been posting some questions and looking for help here on the forum deciding which camera to buy.Lot of people told me to wait until the NAB to see what is happening...since not too much is happening right now in the HDV world I am still here without a camera.And I have a big decesion to make and I need some help.JVC HD10U or Panasonic DVX-100 (A) ???? Cannot decide...
I really like the JVC for the extra resolution but this is the only positive things I can come up on the side of the JVC cam....However on the other side is 3chip,plenty manual control,24P....but SD....!
I am a beginner but studying and would like to make travel films and documentaries for now...I like the film look and not much a fun of the video lookwhich DVX would be useful becuse I saw nice film look images..I didnt see too good looking JVC images so far.
Will the DVX be enough in term of resolution for what I am looking for ??? If needed I am ready to buy matte box,filters anythings i can imprrove my images...I am planning to start on the Caribbean this summer for a documentary and than in the Fall in Venice,Italy..
Any help and suggestion is welcome...anything ....I am ready to buy but which one ...I have no idea...!!!
Thanks
Gabor Lacza
Old April 21st, 2004, 04:26 PM   #2
MPS Digital Studios

This is a common question, here's an answer:

If you can wait, wait. If you need to buy now, buy now. A better camera doesn't always equate a better videographer.

And buy what you can afford.

heath
Old April 21st, 2004, 05:51 PM   #3
Trustee

DVX100: 4:3, or lose resolution even further and impose more restrictions by using an anamorphic adapter to achieve 16:9 image ratio.

HD10: native 16:9 image ratio.
Old April 21st, 2004, 08:58 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Yes but...

Heath,
thanks for your reply...I can afford any of the 2...but which one ...that i dont know...

Alex,
what do you mean impose more restrictions by using an anamorphic adapter ???
So for only the 16:9 JVC is better you say ???
Gabor
Old April 21st, 2004, 09:31 PM   #5
Trustee

Re: Yes but...

<<<-- Originally posted by Gabor Lacza :
Alex,
what do you mean impose more restrictions by using an anamorphic adapter ??? -->>>

Can't zoom all the way through like with the orginal cam's lens, for one.
Old April 21st, 2004, 10:12 PM   #6
MPS Digital Studios

I hate to say this, but the DVX100A may help you out more. Editing with HDV is still tricky, at least for Apple users.

But if you want real good quality, try the HD10.

Read this review by pro DP Jon Fordham. And this one, too. He uses the DVX100A all the time, and shot stuff with the HD10 with me.

heath
Old April 22nd, 2004, 08:03 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Ok...

Well I will read thorugh this ....I read it once but now I will read it again hopefully it might help me to make a decesion.But if I remember well he wasnt a fan of the JVC..
Old April 22nd, 2004, 08:14 AM   #8
MPS Digital Studios

There are many pros and cons to the HD10, and one of the biggest cons is chroma noise. The biggest pro is the image quality! Don't ever forget that, because image is everything. But so is your skill as a videographer!

heath
Old April 22nd, 2004, 11:45 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Well

Well after reading through all that I am more confused now than I ever was..hahahah....Jon didnt liked the camera that much that is for sure as he stated that for 99.9% of video acqusition he dont recommend the camera.But many other do like it...
Old April 22nd, 2004, 12:14 PM   #10
MPS Digital Studios

Jon and I do admit the quality is nice, but we'd like some things to change on the camera. Think about it like this, consider all thoughts:

HD10: Great image vs. chroma noise (more prevalent in low lights) vs. not-so-manual controls.

DVX100A: Good image and manual controls plus 24P vs. not HD.

That's what I recommend; it is then up to YOU to decide the camera that is right for you. I'd also try and contact a dealer to set up a test.

heath
Old April 22nd, 2004, 01:18 PM   #11
Major Player

Here is how to figure out what to get:

Ask yourself: What is going to be viewing mode of your video?
How is it going to be shown?
DVD ? Film ? Home computer playback ? Digital projection ?

Only get the JVC if you are doing digital higher definition playback, or computer playback, or home HDV playback.
If you are making a DVD , you don't need the JVC.
If you are going out to film, it's a toss up. Personally I'd do the JVC for film as I like what it looks like converted to 24, I don't like fuzzy films.

So what is your stuff for? That will help you choose the camera. And remember, it's not the camera. It's the filmmaker.
-Les
Old April 22nd, 2004, 01:21 PM   #12
MPS Digital Studios

Right on, Les, though I'd argue, as would HDV JumpStart Training producer Darren Kelly, that acquisition for a DVD can use the HD10, or any high quality, low cost camera.

heath
Old April 22nd, 2004, 07:28 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Thanks

Thanks guys really for all the help and suggestions so far...
Les,
I would like it to be shown on different medium.I have HD projection in my house where i can show it in native HD but I would also like to make a DVD out of staff I film so i am sure it will be watched on tv as well.The reason I am falling for the DVX right now is the film look as 24p and the reason I am falling for the JVC is HD...I am planning to shoot travel videos and documentaries .At travel videos the HD would be better but I dont like that sharp video look usual 60i cameras give.I dont know how 30p would be better but I saw 24p DVX looked really filmic...
Also I saw some nice pictures of DVX with some nice short dof where you can play with the focus a bit where at JVC you have no control of it...
Here is where I stand right now....I have around $7k for the "package"...I just need to decide which package..
Old April 23rd, 2004, 12:14 PM   #14
Regular Crew

One more thing...

Can you achieve some good "film look" with the JVC or it will be always that strong HD look ???
Old April 23rd, 2004, 12:56 PM   #15
Major Player

With the shutter speed set slow, the 30 fps frames look a lot like film. The hardest thing to get is the short depth of field that film cameras usually exploit. Even adding a lot of ND to the lens does not seem to get much of that, but I don't think that's different than other video cameras.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U