DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gr-hd1u-jy-hd10u/)
-   -   DAT or Mini Disc (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gr-hd1u-jy-hd10u/25328-dat-mini-disc.html)

Gabor Lacza April 29th, 2004 10:36 PM

DAT or Mini Disc

Anybody has any good recommendations for a good portable dat or mini disc for in use with the JVC....max $1K...
Gabor

Heath McKnight April 30th, 2004 01:54 PM

Do a search in DVInfo for DAT recommendations. You'll find TONS!

heath

Gabor Lacza April 30th, 2004 06:14 PM

Thanks Heath, I guess the best thing to do is to go with a Tascam DA-P1 dat recorder...one question though...Can I transfer from dat to pc or mac with a laptop ?? Or do I need a desktop ?
Gabor

Gabor Lacza May 7th, 2004 10:02 AM

PORTADISC MDP500 professional MiniDisc recorder

I think it will be easier to go with the PORTADISC MDP500 professional MiniDisc recorder since it is easier to connect to a pc or laptop or mac....anybody used this recorder?? Any thoughts?
Thanks
Gabor

Stephen Schleicher May 7th, 2004 11:22 AM

You might want to check this article before buying.

http://emusician.com/ar/emusic_hhb_portadisc_mdp/

I was sold when I first the specs, and then was happy with the first part of the review, but the audio problems are not worth the money.

Cheers

Stephen Schleicher
www.mindspring.com/~schleicher

Gabor Lacza May 7th, 2004 12:25 PM

Well good points here....i am mainly would like to use as a double system for recording dialogues and location sound for films with the jvc hd10u...my only problem with the DAT is that the tapes are more expensive than mini disc plus i need to connect them somehow to a laptop....hmmmm
Gabor

Josef Crow May 9th, 2004 10:22 AM

i use the iRiver IHP-120 with core-sound Mic2496. two channel portable. the optical out on the mic2496 is accepted by optical in on the iRiver. transfers to computer via usb 2.0. $850 for the two.

Sharon Fraats May 9th, 2004 11:11 PM

iPod??

Ken Tanaka May 9th, 2004 11:34 PM

For the record, I have an HHb PortaDisk and have not observed the noise problems noted in that review. Granted, I am not an audiophile but I've not picked up the problem.

Re: iPod, I don't know of a way to record onto this device.

Heath McKnight May 9th, 2004 11:59 PM

I thought someone made an iMic to go into the iPod.

h

Ken Tanaka May 10th, 2004 12:06 AM

Ahh, it's not the iMic but the iTalk. But it doesn't look like a production audio solution.

Ben Buie May 12th, 2004 12:51 AM

Might want to check out the Fostex MR-8.

We have used it with the HD10 with great results. Perfect sound quality (uncompressed WAV), pro XLR inputs, no moving parts, USB connection right into a computer, etc.

Musician's Friend online has them for $300.00.

Get a mic preamp/mixer with this though . . . the Mic input is not very sensitive, you would get better input level controls with a Mic preamp/mixer for sure. Still, the Fostex MR-8 at $300 plus a good mic preamp/mixer for $100 is still only $400 total.

Having said that, after 1 week shooting double-system sound, we went back to single system and ran our boom mic setup directly into the HD10. So far the AGC hasn't been an issue, and it has saved us a TON of time (both in production and in post).

One more thing . . . the Azden SGM-2X has proven to be a great Mic. In case you don't already know, using a long shotgun mic indoors in a small room is a DISASTER (echo city baby). The Azden SGM-2X gives you the flexibility of using the long shotgun module outdoors and the short shotgun/omni module indoors, all for one relatively inexpensive price. Probably one of our best purchases.

Alex Raskin May 12th, 2004 01:45 AM

how come no-one suggests Marantz PMD-670.

sound is in the same category as HHB MiniDisk (minus moving parts and minidisks, and at $700 vs $1300 HHB.)

Heath McKnight May 12th, 2004 06:57 AM

Ben,

Great tip, you, too, Alex!

heath

Gabor Lacza May 14th, 2004 11:53 AM

Thanks for all the inputs from everybody.I might go for a Tascam DA-P1...I can get one off from ebay at good prices and I found a company who makes a DatPort which connect Dat to Laptop....I am 60% sure in this but still looking for the Marantz PMD-670 which was suggested by Alex...looks really good too and I can get a brand new for the price I would pay for a used dat...
Gabor