DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gr-hd1u-jy-hd10u/)
-   -   So.... Where are the various HD sample frames? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gr-hd1u-jy-hd10u/25354-so-where-various-hd-sample-frames.html)

Les Dit April 30th, 2004 12:04 PM

So.... Where are the various HD sample frames?

Any news on any sample being posted from a non JVC HD cam? It's been a while.
-Les

Barry Green April 30th, 2004 02:06 PM

Do you mean a non-JVC HDV camera? There are none, those shown at NAB were mockup prototypes.

Or do you mean the CineAlta & VariCam, etc?

Les Dit April 30th, 2004 03:57 PM

I mean *any* other High Def cam.
There was a lot of talk about eminent sample posts, etc.
All the comparisons are verbal. A picture of a clip is worth 1000 words, as they say.

-Les

Steve Crisdale May 1st, 2004 07:47 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Les Dit : I mean *any* other High Def cam.
There was a lot of talk about eminent sample posts, etc.
All the comparisons are verbal. A picture of a clip is worth 1000 words, as they say.

-Les -->>>

These captures were made in Vegas 4.

The family on the boat ramp and the kite surfer are from HD10 footage I've shot since getting my camera back from repair.

The other two images are from recorded HD broadcasts via a VisionPlus HDTV terrestrial broadcast PCI card.

None of the images has been re-sampled or tampered with in any way, but please note that the JPEG compression regime denigrates the image - adding even more artifacts than the MPEG2 stream already contains...

http://www.pnc.com.au/~scris/hd_images/

Hope these give you some more idea of where the HD10 fits, especially in relation to 1080i and 720i broadcasts...even if they are from PAL stations here in Australia!!

Les Dit May 1st, 2004 12:32 PM

Thanks Steve, but there was a whole set of threads a while ago talking about how the HD10 compares to other HD cameras out there, that cost $40K and above.
Some people actually shot the same scene with both cameras, if my memory serves me correctly. But the non JVC stuff never made it here.
Oh well.

Troy Lamont May 6th, 2004 08:39 PM

I think Les was referring to the CineAlta shootout, etc.

Heath posted some pics from the shootout, but they never got the footage from the CineAlta converted to a viable format outside of the camera.

Troy

Heath McKnight May 6th, 2004 11:31 PM

We posted clips from a DVX100 vs. HD10 shoot out. Yes, I have Varicam vs. HD10, and I will get to it. (I'm sorry, Jon F.!) I can't believe how busy my life has gotten...

Sorry everyone,

heath

Troy Lamont May 7th, 2004 11:19 AM

Quote:

Sorry everyone!
Bad Heath, Bad! :)

Just kidding....

Troy

Heath McKnight May 7th, 2004 11:30 AM

No, it's true; it's been around 6 months. I need to just capture and let Chris H., owner and proprieter of these here forums, that they're ready to go.

Sorry,

h

Chris Hurd May 7th, 2004 12:03 PM

Any time Heath, we can upload 'em to the server here...

Heath McKnight May 7th, 2004 12:03 PM

Chris,

After I close on my condo!

heath

Yang Wen May 9th, 2004 02:12 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Steve Crisdale :
The family on the boat ramp and the kite surfer are from HD10 footage I've shot since getting my camera back from repair.

The other two images are from recorded HD broadcasts via a VisionPlus HDTV terrestrial broadcast PCI card.
-->>>

Ha, I didn't read your post carefully and almost fell out of my seat when I saw the sydney opera house image. Then I realized it wasn't from the JVC and regained my composture... Yeah the JVC is NOT HD but merely crappy HDV, far from being GOOD HD.

Heath McKnight May 10th, 2004 08:55 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Yang Wen :
Ha, I didn't read your post carefully and almost fell out of my seat when I saw the sydney opera house image. Then I realized it wasn't from the JVC and regained my composture... Yeah the JVC is NOT HD but merely crappy HDV, far from being GOOD HD. -->>>

Yang,

Are you starting a war here? Why are you saying this? Have you even USED the camera at all?

Please explain,

heath

Les Dit May 10th, 2004 11:45 AM

The Opera house image looked horrible. Did you guys see the edges of the white roof, left side? It had horrible red chromatic aberrations, I was thinking that the lens was bad. I'm glad it apparently was just an off the air capture. I think the HD10 would have done a much better job.

-Les

<<<-- Originally posted by Yang Wen : <<<-- Originally posted by Steve Crisdale :

-->>>

Ha, I didn't read your post carefully and almost fell out of my seat when I saw the sydney opera house image. Then I realized it wasn't from the JVC and regained my composture... Yeah the JVC is NOT HD but merely crappy HDV, far from being GOOD HD. -->>>

Heath McKnight May 10th, 2004 11:48 AM

Granted, I think it's tough to shoot just about anything without good lighting, etc. (which is just about impossible with the opera house), I still stand by my beliefs that the HD10 does in fact produce great images. But, to get them, one needs to just spend some extra time with the set-ups, even with natural light. If you just "run and gun" with the camera, you'll be disappointed! I learned that lesson!

heath