Hidden Interface Connection? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U
All about the original single-CCD HDV camcorders from JVC.

Old May 3rd, 2004, 12:23 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Hidden Interface Connection?

While I was cleaning the dust off of my gr-hd1u I noticed the small screwed in removable panel next to the fire wire connection, does anyone know what this is?

I've seen similar connectors on the inside of digital cameras to connect different PCB (circuit boards) together. It appears to have 30 pins.

I took a picture of the connector and have posted it here:
http://www.4volt.com/photo/ebay/30-pin.jpg

Does anyone have any information on this or a service manual that might label it? It doesn’t appear to have any description on any of the standard manuals.

I have no idea what it could be, it could be for controlling the unit, or possibly a diagnostic port? Or maybe just one connection for all the various I/O plugs on the camera? Or dare I say an uncompressed output of some kind? I really have no idea.

Just thought I would bring it up for discussion
Old May 3rd, 2004, 01:22 PM   #2
Regular Crew

According to the service manual, this indeed is the service port. You'll need the YTU93082C jig connector cable, PC connector cable and a software downloadable from JS-net. I assume the JS-net stands for JVC Service, I don't know the exact URL, though.
Old May 3rd, 2004, 03:55 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hack that camera baby! Away with the sharpening enhancement :)
Old May 4th, 2004, 02:54 AM   #4
Major Player

I have read that JVC service has reflashed the firmware in one guys HD-10 to redo the audio EQ and reduce the AGC by 3db. This is to improve the tinny sound. I assume they used this port.
-Les
Old May 4th, 2004, 08:07 AM   #5
MPS Digital Studios

Les,

That's a pretty unsubstantiated rumor and began months ago, and still nothing. I for one wish it were true.

heath
Old May 4th, 2004, 09:23 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I suppose if one were able to get their hands on the source code for the firmware one would be able to make all sorts of useful changes limited only to the hardware, for instance audio improvements, or maybe a 24p mode, or possibly mpeg compression tweaks, depending on the limitations.

That’s obviously all fantasy, you would need some one working in JVC programming to give the source to you, which I’m sure would break all sorts of laws.
Old May 4th, 2004, 10:08 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Also, I've found the JS-Net service website, although it's password protected you can see it at: http://sol.jvc.de/index.cfm
Old May 4th, 2004, 10:58 AM   #8
Regular Crew

That's the same I've found. Here's another one, password protected as well:

http://www.jvcservice.com/Service/

I'll put up a bottle of Tequila in exchange for the password =)
Old May 4th, 2004, 11:07 AM   #9
Regular Crew

I doubt you could make the camera do 24p just by changing some parameters in the firmware. That change will most likely need a new firmware and possibly an updated chip. What I'm interested in, though, is that maybe there's a way to break the logic between the shutter and iris. And audio AGC, hopefully. And most importantly, uncheck the "add_chroma_noise" bit in the BIOS ;)
Old May 4th, 2004, 11:19 AM   #10
MPS Digital Studios

A lot of the stuff you are proposing will void your warranty. Also, do a search under firmware and HD10 here at DV Info and you'll see there was a lot of discussion about this that sort of went nowhere, because a lot of what we were hoping, in terms of firmware, wasn't possible.

heath
Old May 4th, 2004, 11:46 AM   #11
Regular Crew

I'm aware of the warranty factor and I'm also familiar with the firmware discussions that have taken place in this thread, here's one a few months back regarding the audio... Heck, I've read pretty much every post in this category =)

I'm skeptical about the level of control users are thinking they'd be getting with fiddling with the firmware settings. Still, it would be interesting to poke around there and see what's available.
Old May 4th, 2004, 11:56 AM   #12
MPS Digital Studios

Sten,

We don't endorse, and we do caution, against doing it. I personally am not willing to void my warranty or open up my HD10, which cost $3000.

But if you wish to, we can't stop you.

Here's one, I believe, of a member who took apart his DVX100 to see about doing uncompressed. Check it out.

Best,

heath
Old May 4th, 2004, 02:49 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Of course. I, personally, would take the plunge.... but then again, talk is cheap. I will report back if I get the software.
Old May 4th, 2004, 02:59 PM   #14
MPS Digital Studios

One little thing to note, I've read other people doing this all over the web, looking for tweaks on the XL-1 or even the DVX100 (and others), like I linked to, and they sadly learned they couldn't do it. There goes the warranty and if they can't put it back together, they have to pay to have it put back together.

My two cents,

heath
Old May 4th, 2004, 02:59 PM   #15
Regular Crew

The firmware is the program that runs on the camera processor, like a operating system on a computer, not just some unseen settings somewhere.

If one were in possession of the source code they could make any change to the operating environment as long as the hardware supported it. It's not unusual for a firmware update to add features to a product.

If the PAL and NTSC versions have the same chips but a different firmware, rewriting the firmware could potentially change the frame rate to anything the hardware supported.

Pretty much any modification would void your warranty.

I don’t think someone would do it, but it's nice to know if it's possible.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U