DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GR-HD1U / JY-HD10U (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gr-hd1u-jy-hd10u/)
-   -   using the JVC JY-HD10U in europe... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gr-hd1u-jy-hd10u/25547-using-jvc-jy-hd10u-europe.html)

Graham Jones May 4th, 2004 04:53 PM

using the JVC JY-HD10U in europe...

Hi everybody,

I'm considering using the JVC JY-HD10U to shoot a project which will be posted in UK and distributed on DVD in Europe.

Footage would originate in HD but not, subsequently, be edited in the HD world. Rather converted ('downsized') to DigiBeta or some other substantial format. The idea being that some of the HD grandeur will survive the transfer.

I understand that many have taken this route. That not everyone out there with HD10's is exhibiting in HD.

Is it okay to shoot HD on the HD10 and then downsize thus in the UK, however?

I'm fully aware the model is NTSC and not PAL when in SD or DV mode. Also (fairly) aware of the cam's personality in general having paid close attention to these forums and tested it to boot... but just in relation to this specific query: shooting HD mode on the JY-HD10U, downsizing in UK post-world. Anything I'm missing??

Thanks very much in advance folks.

Graham

Ken Hodson May 4th, 2004 05:09 PM

Down sizing would also call for 25fps in PAL world. The quality of this would be dependant on the software and process you choose. This extra step is deterent enough for most.
Ken

Steve Crisdale May 4th, 2004 07:56 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Ken Hodson : Down sizing would also call for 25fps in PAL world. The quality of this would be dependant on the software and process you choose. This extra step is deterent enough for most.
Ken -->>>

Not necessarily...... I've found that most DVD players here in Australia - a PAL system country - can handle NTSC encoded material.
The 25fps issue may affect some people with really old DVD players or TV sets that can't cope with NTSC colour encoding.
I'm sure if you check, you'll find you can view PAL encoded DVDs in NTSC regions on any recent-ish equipment.

I have a JY-HD10u, and have only encountered one issue with any of the NTSC DVDs I've written so far - a friend's ancient DVD player displays a monochrome image. PAL 25fps conversions to DVD Architect format MPEG2 in Vegas 4 yield some excellent results that are free of the 'strobe' effect I've found using other frame rate conversion plug-ins.

I took the punt on the HD10 here in PAL land, and I'm not regretting doing so....

Graham Jones May 5th, 2004 01:59 AM

Thanks.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Downsizing HD footage shot on HD10 to PAL 25fps for post production?

Graham

Patrick Swinnea May 5th, 2004 10:51 AM

I was just about to post a similar question (minus the PAL part).

I'm looking to shoot a feature documentary in September '04 and I'm close to deciding on a camera. I was looking at the dvx100 but...

I downloaded Paul Mogg's M2T files (Thanks!), dropped them into Vegas 4, rendered as NTSC Widescreen DV, and was amazed at the detail that held up in the NTSC version. Particularly in the Bridge clip.

It makes me wonder if I could shoot something on HDV (and light it correctly) output on DV, and have it look as good as something like "The Office," which I believe is shot on DigiBeta.

I don't need the DVX's 24p, I'm actually a big fan of the "realness" of high-res video. I can deal with the idiosycracies of the HD10 as most of my stuff will be "one-man-band" shooting. And I don't mind rendering raw HDV files into NTSC. It actually goes pretty quick.

By using DV to edit I can do all the things I could do before HDV came along, but the picture will look so more better because the source material contains so much more information. (I'm running a P4 2.0 512 DDR and HDV is really sluggish. I am aware of Connect HD, but mastering in HD isn't a big priority right now.)

AND, I'll always have the HDV raw files (carefully logged) so once HD distribution is a (low budget) reality I redo it in HD.

Finally, the lack of manual control on this camera is supposedly a hinderance on commisioned jobs. But next year we have the Sony HDV and possibly Canon?, at which point the HD10 would make a helluva second camera - for a complete HD shoot.

I'd also like to hear from anyone using the HD10 for great quality SD output.

Thanks!

Patrick

btw, this board rocks.

Graeme Nattress May 5th, 2004 10:55 AM

If you're distributing PAL, then shoot PAL - you know if makes sense. For the cost of a high quality standards conversion (and you'll need a high quality one to go from 30p to 25p nicely) you may as well have shot high quality PAL to begin with, and if you're thinking of mastering to digiBeta, why not shoot digiBeta - the 3 decent chips and proper manual controls will give you a better picture than the JVC, irrespective of resolution.

Graeme

Graham Jones May 5th, 2004 10:59 AM

Thanks Everyone....

Thanks Everyone....

I have opted to use the JVC GR-PD1

Graham

Sten Newfield May 5th, 2004 01:29 PM

Would it be much to ask if you could post a few demo clips once you've bought the camera? Would be interesting to see how the 25p picture downsized in camera will compare to HDV 30p downsized in post.

Graham Jones May 6th, 2004 05:30 PM

Sure........

Sure........